Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
72 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 25 of 72
13 December 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I occasionally dream in either Spanish or Italian, but - I've said this in another thread - I live with both those languages throughout the day in both professional and personal settings.

I swear for the most part in English, though. Sometimes I'll swear in Spanish too, but I guess I like my F-bombs too much to stray very far from English when it comes to cursing.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 72
14 December 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
When I drop something or bump into something accidentally, I always yell out "Scheisse" in German! It has become such a habit that I do not even know I am doing it.

Seriously though, learn at least one foreign language (meaning not one you grew up with as a native or semi-native) to an intermediate degree and then you will at least have some degree of perspective when you are talking about learning others. For example, there are two great polyglots who clearly speak advanced Chinese and are making an effort to learn several other languages. They know what it means to "learn a language" because they have done it. Compare them to another polyglot who studies a language for one day, considers himself fluent and quickly moves to the next one. He has never studied a language in depth and has no frame of reference for calling himself fluent or "able to speak the language". Yet, we are forbidden from calling this latter type of person delusional because we always have to be nice. I am sure that 80% of the people on this board could spend the day learning stock phrases/basic grammar in a new language and then post a video of ourselves on-line reciting these phrases. Big deal. But do we have the right to claim things like "I learned German in twenty minutes, next language please..." and expect to be taken seriously and receive no negative comments?

As a community, we need to encourage one another in our studies, but to allow outrageous claims to go unchecked is to open the door to more craziness and we risk creating another legend a la Ziad Fazah. Here is a video of me speaking 52 languages... Well, here is MY video speaking 76 languages... 76, that's all... Here is my video speaking 120 languages and 78 dialects... and I did it all in two months.

What is next: "Aliens landed in my yard last night and taught me the Jupterian language. Check out my video. They promised to return tomorrow and teach me Martian. Positive, supporting, nurturing and ego-boosting comments only please.".

Sometimes negative comments can be used to encourage you. For example, when told I was learning Japanese, one person told me, oh you can't do that because you are over 40. It's too late now. That just made me want to try harder...

Ok. I know I will get yelled at for making two posts, but I am not technically capable of quoting twice in the same post. Please forgive me.

When I started this thread, I stated that my intention was not to shower praise on the undeserving, so in that respect I agree with you. It may however be difficult sometimes to say which is which. In some cases you observe people who can speak a number of languages you know, and who also sound very convincing in the ones you don't know, in which case I tend to believe them. When the video shows that they do in fact not speak the languages you know, and they claim to know several dozens more that are hard to judge, then yes, you get sceptical. Even then, I think we can try to be kind though - but without giving unfounded compliments.

On YouTube I saw an example that was more difficult to evaluate. Someone who taught Mandarin claimed to speak 200 languages and dialects - most of them Chinese. I have no doubt his Mandarin is very good. But 200 dialects and languages. Hmm. I speak 5 languages. It has taken me a long time to learns those, and it takes a lot of effort to maintain them. Now 200 is a large amount. I do not want to distrust anyone, but you would really need to be a genius to pull that one off.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 17 December 2010 at 7:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 27 of 72
14 December 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:
A simple test to find out your native language is to imagine that something unexpected happens to you, e.g. you step on a piece of shit. In which language do you shout “Damn it”? Well, that’s your native language.

English is my native language yet a good portion of my reactions like this occur in Greek. (Mostly things I've picked up from my older Greek-speaking relatives, like "παναγία μου," "αχ," "Χριστέ μου," or other random mutterings.)

Edited by ellasevia on 14 December 2010 at 12:06am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 28 of 72
14 December 2010 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

On YouTube I saw an example that was more difficult to evaluate. Someone who taught Mandarin claimed to speak 200 languages and dialects - most of them Chinese. I have no doubt his Mandarin is very good. But 200 dialects and languages. Hmm. I speak 5 languages. It has taken me a long time to learns those, and it takes a lot of effort to maintain them. Now 200 is a large amount. I do not want to distrust anyone, but you would really need to be a genius to pull that one off.

That must have been one hell of a long video.

Seriously... let's think about that number. 200 languages. *200*

I would have a really hard time believing anyone could *read* 200 languages, let alone speak them. In fact, I'm just going to flat out say it without even seeing the video: I just don't believe that's possible, genius or not.

R.
==

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 29 of 72
16 December 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:

Seriously... let's think about that number. 200 languages. *200*

I would have a really hard time believing anyone could *read* 200 languages, let alone speak them. In fact, I'm just going to flat out say it without even seeing the video: I just don't believe that's possible, genius or not.
R.
==

I can top that one. On the interpals website, one person listed the 70+ languages available on the site on his profile. All the languages that could be listed he put it down, but made the statement, that he is the head professor of the language department and speaks every language in the world. I think he was suppose to be only 24 years old.

Curiously I looked and saw replies from other members complimenting him. One compliment resembled "That is amazing you speak all these languages." or "Wow." Others wanted to practice or something. IMO utterly ridiculous.

mick33
United States
Joined 5720 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 30 of 72
17 December 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
After looking at a couple of threads concerning polyglots I ask myself the question whether we are too demanding when it comes to polyglots.
I agree with you, but I also think a lot of the criticism of polyglots, and aspiring polyplots, is based on the following question, Do you believe that it is better to learn a few languages to a very high level or to learn many languages to a basic or intermediate level? In other words, this is part of the ongoing debate about quality versus quantity mentioned most recently by Huliganov here. At least in part, some of the criticism of Cesare M, Moses McCormick and others, is simply because they are learning 30-50+ languages. To many polyglots who have chosen to strive for quality, learning that many languages seems to be an impossible task destined to end in frustration, failure, or public embarrassment (The most notable example being Ziad Fazah.) and is therefore a pointless endeavor. Although I lean towards quality in languages learned, I do not see the point in harsh criticism of others who choose to learn many languages because it is clear they have different goals and different ideas about what it means to be fluent or even to know a language and that is okay. Having written that and remembering the never-ending debate about what constitutes fluency, I think that to most of us the word "fluent" still implies a high level; regardless of the nitpicking about what is actually meant by high level or Cesare M's vigorous, and sometimes bitter, protests.
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
A while back, I wathched the videos released by Fasulye, and I remember thinking: This looks fun! This looks like something I might like to do as well. However after having seen the extremely negative response, bordering on hatred that others have received, I am not so sure anymore.

I did not see any negative feed back to Fasulye, and I expect that is because she is very matter of fact when it comes to how many languages she speaks. She does not pretend to know more than the ones she actually know, and she has a good level in the languages she speak. The ones where she is still in a learning process, are clearly presented as such. I think that is very wise, because then one does not let oneself open to attacks.
At one time, I also thought about making some videos but decided against it for a few reasons: 1. YouTube comments can only be 500 charcters, which is not enough space to give genuinely constructive feedback but just enough room for vicious personal attacks, unnecessarily harsh insults or praise so vague that it is totally useless. 2. Giving an honest appraisal of one's skills does not always prevent the attacks or insults. For just one example; read some of the comments about this video. You have to go back a few pages to find them, but some of the comments are shockingly rude. It seems it really is impossible to please everyone when it comes to accents or pronunciation in general.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Those who are more at an intermediate level, and who are less specific as to the fact that they are still only at an intermediate level, run the risk of attracting negative reactions. To a certain extent, that is normal, but it is the intensity that worries me. We cannot all be Torbyrne or Luca (who impress me a lot!!!). Perhaps we should be more tolerant to others who are also still in a learning process but who are perhaps too young or inexperienced to be specific on that.
Yes, I agree with this as well, but tolerance needs to go both ways. Not everyone knows how to be tactful when commenting on the abilities of others and it is very possible that one really could be speaking so poorly as to be unintelligible. Whenever one receives corrections or criticism about language skills, it might be wise to consider the following question, Is the critique valid or suggest possible improvements? If so, then be grateful for the opportunity to learn something new. If not, then simply ignore it. I have also noticed that it is necessary to be somewhat skeptical about being praised for language abilities, some of the YouTube polyglots learn exotic languages with limited resources and receive praise just for trying; even when their actual ability to speak these languages is quite low. Few speakers of languages like Hmong or Tatar will expect people from the other side of the world to have even heard of those languages, let alone being able to say anything. Native speakers of rare or exotic languages often want to be encouraging (or maybe they can't speak your language well) and will praise you highly just because you're trying. They probably could be more truthful a lot of times and state that while you may have made a good start you might still have a lot to learn before you are actually speaking or writing well.

I think much of the criticism directed at Cesare M was actually justified. Unfortunately his initial responses to it were usually to declare anyone who did not praise him to the heavens to be a hater who didn't know the languages; even when the critiques were often valid. I stayed on the sidelines during all that, and thus refrained from interacting with him at all because it seemed pointless to do so when he was absolutely determined to demand that everyone must be in awe of his skills in every language he claimed to speak or write fluently and ignore his heavy reliance on English words in his early videos and his very basic grammatical mistakes when writing. I would only have been able to comment on his written Spanish in that thread, but it was obvious that a semester in a language class or just spending more time learning these languages on his own could have helped him resolve at least some of these issues.

Yes, encouragement is important, but not all criticism (even if it is sometimes harsh)is unwarranted. In language learning, like any other field of study, there is always more that could be learned.

Edited by mick33 on 18 December 2010 at 8:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 31 of 72
17 December 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:
What everybody has to understand is that everyone of us has ONLY ONE
native language and it is absurd to demand native-like fluency from non-native
speakers. Even those who claim to be totally bilingual feel more familiar with one of
the two languages.

Do you believe in switching one's 'native' language then? Because there are many cases
of adult immigrants moving to the US, learning to speak English perfectly and in return
losing most of their abilities in their native language (over the course of a dozen
years or more). I saw some interviews and they really sounded like foreign students of
German rather than native speakers, accent included, and they were visibly more
comfortable and more familiar with English. On a less extreme level, it is possible to
acquire a native-like level in a foreign language without losing that level in one's
native language. Another case are people who move abroad in the middle of high school
or so, and whose vocabulary in the foreign language is much greater than in their
native one.

ellasevia wrote:
Polyglot_gr wrote:
A simple test to find out your native language
is to imagine that something unexpected happens to you, e.g. you step on a piece of
shit. In which language do you shout “Damn it”? Well, that’s your native
language.

English is my native language yet a good portion of my reactions like this occur in
Greek. (Mostly things I've picked up from my older Greek-speaking relatives, like
"παναγία μου," "αχ," "Χριστέ μου," or other random mutterings.)

For me it's usually English and occasionally Joual, yet there is no doubt that German
is my native language. I hadn't been exposed to any English at all before starting to
learn it at school at the age of 10.

Another test I heard of was to have people perform mathematics out loud, which is
supposed to be much slower in any foreign language. I still calculate much more slowly
in English. However, I strongly suspect that this is just a test of which language you
spoke at primary school; not entirely the same.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 18 December 2010 at 12:10am

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5492 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 32 of 72
18 December 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
It has been mentioned that it's hard to differentiate from short videos to differentiate
the "undeserving" from a genuine learner, and that we are being to hard on polyglots for
not substantiating their claims.

I believe that extraordinary claims should require extraordinary evidence.

If I tell you I can run a 5k in 20 minutes, then you would have no reason to doubt me. But
if I tell you I can do it in 10 minutes (substantially faster than the world record) then
you would be remiss not to demand more evidence before bestowing upon me your credence.

In terms of belief, there shouldn't be any innocent until proven guilty business going on
i.e. always giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Belief should be purely commensurate
with the amount of evidence weighed against the likelihood of the claim.

In terms of politeness, we should always be encouraging and kind, but this is completely
orthogonal to belief. It's entirely possible to dismiss someone's claims or ask for more
evidence without being a jerk about it. In the same vein, not being jerks should not
require that we check our skepticism at the door.

Edited by egill on 18 December 2010 at 12:34am

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version