anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 113 of 122
16 January 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Gatsby wrote:
"...there ARE a lot of holes in yours..." We can all make mistakes, even in our native
languages and even if we are well-educated.

Blimey, this has confused my brain ... but ... why is it correct?

The following make sense to me:

"There IS a lot of holes in yours ..."
"There ARE lotS of holes in yours ..."

But I am struggling with:

"There ARE a lot of holes in yours ..."

Can somebody explain it to me please?

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 114 of 122
16 January 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Gatsby wrote:
"...there ARE a lot of holes in yours..." We can all make mistakes, even in our native
languages and even if we are well-educated.

Blimey, this has confused my brain ... but ... why is it correct?

The following make sense to me:

"There IS a lot of holes in yours ..."
"There ARE lotS of holes in yours ..."

But I am struggling with:

"There ARE a lot of holes in yours ..."

Can somebody explain it to me please?

I have just used google. I do not know what does this mean, but here are the results.

"There IS a lot of holes" 884.000 results.

"There ARE a lot of holes" 740.000 results.

"There ARE lots of holes" 130.000 results.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 115 of 122
20 January 2011 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Are is used because the object holes is plural.

Lots isn't a word...

Think of "Lots of people do that." versus
"A lot of people do that."
Only the second sentence is grammatically correct although the first may be more common in speech.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 116 of 122
20 January 2011 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:

Lots isn't a word...

Only the second sentence is grammatically correct although the first may be more common in speech.

Completely untrue by any modern dictionary's definition.

Lots has been in use for at least a hundred years.

R.
==

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5628 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 117 of 122
20 January 2011 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I've seen this thread last year, but didn't pay any attention as I thought the thread
heading is pretty much an accepted fact, nothing controversial. But I was surprised a
few hours ago when I saw that it's now on its 15th page. So I clicked the 1st page and
read the original post. My! It started good but didn't end well with me. So I check who
the poster is, and it made me smile. It's slucido again! It took me 1.5 hours to read
all the pages, but I will not try to comment on most of them.

The conclusion he's arrived at sounded to me like snake oil. And I was reminded about
this experiment.

Quote:
Texas A&M did a study years ago on grasshoppers. As a baseline starting point,
each test bug was subjected to a horn blast and noted that all would jump. As the
research progressed, the legs of each grasshopper were removed one at a time and the
test bug again subjected to a horn blast, noting that the test bugs would jump at the
sound. After the last leg of each test bug was removed and again subjected to the horn
blast, the test bugs did not move and remained motionless. The testing continued for
several more months to verify the results. It was then determined that if you remove
all the legs of a grasshopper, they go deaf.

Slucido's drawn conclusions that would be different had I've been the one to do it.

slucido wrote:
However, my conclusion is the same I got two or three years ago: as
long as your method has input and output, TIME spent with the language (quantity) is
the most important factor.
Do you really want to speak like a twenty years old native speaker with only a little
fraction of this huge amount of exposure?

We can talk endlessly about best or bad methods, but in the long run, the QUANTITY or
AMOUNT of target language you are exposed to will determine your overall progress and
success.

If we think about this and the fact that the main problem with language learning is the
average language learner gives up,I have two conclusions:

1-As long as you have INPUT and OUTPUT the most important factor is TIME= QUANTITY of
exposure.

2-The best method is the method you don't give up. KEEP doing.

He is right in that we must spend time to learn a language. But the 1st conclusion
imply that all methods are equally good (provided with input and output). But this
isn't really true. Personal experience is my best guide here. I've tried a number of
input methods already and some of them doesn't work for me at that point in time:
either too boring (especially repetition or word SRS), too time consuming to prepare
(sentence mining/10000 sentence method), too advanced sometimes for my level (reading
newspapers, poems, specialized journals in my field, etc), too fast (TV, radio) or I'm
just too exhausted mentally and physically to focus (night classes). I'm sure others
have similar stories too. Does he says here that we carry on with the same method even
with these problems? He does not, but that logically follows from his conclusions. He
suggests to get motivation and involve emotions in it. But that is exactly the problem
with that suggestion. He needs to add motivation/emotion because the method is boring
and unengaging. And he suggests to keep doing this inspite of it all.

Slucido stresses only the quantity of input/output, but how about the influence of the
learner's brains's processing capacity (throughput) on output? Either I would revolt if
I am forced to take on more than I can chew, or the quality of my output will decline.
And that is the critical part: each person is different in their throughput, that's why
we constantly try novel methods. We prefer methods that are in sync with our learning
pace, style and level. And I am sure that slucido's best method is also not "don't give
up, keep doing" but much closer to "get motivated, whatever method". It sounded more to
me not as a method but more as a mantra of persistence and perseverance to learn.

He is right in that I must provide continuing sufficient input and output, but he has
forgotten that stage between the two is more important: that input is only necessary to
improve throughput's processing quality as reflected in the output. Time and duration
in other words are a function of the rate my throughput is improving with input. I
would even state a counterclaim that duration/time is not the most important factor,
but a by-product, in language learning, and reflects the effectiveness of matching the
learning method and the learner's mind. This is also called the learning curve.
Besides, time is not equal to quantity because each one of us has different processing
speed.

For me, the best method is that method that suits my personality and level of
intellectual competence at that moment. Speaking only of myself, I find that graded
readers are there at the top for input method. Words repeat themselves but in an order
that makes sense, there's grammar rules practice in there, there's an engaging
storyline, I got to think of word meanings in context, etc. Short stories and young
adult fiction are also quite good. For output method, I regularly post in my Facebook
account snippets in my 4 languages, plus I email in Spanish with my friends. I know
that when I advanced further, I would find those others good at that stage (TV, radio,
technical journals, etc.) too. At each stage of my learning, methods differ. And this
is my style: I like variety.

Of course I am open to other methods, and always try them. As they say, the proof of
the pudding is in the eating, so how can I say a method doesn't work if I haven't tried
it? Plus this is my antidote to boredom, I try new methods but not give emotive
dimension to a mind-numbingly boring method. The method in itself at that moment in
time fosters excitement.

slucido wrote:

Go to an atheist forum in your target language and introduce yourself. Explain to them
that you are a believer and start arguing with them. You will get strong emotions and
they will be more than happy to destroy you and all your arguments...and your will get
a lot of practice in your target language.

Go one step further. Do this ONLY if you are a TRUE believer. You will get EMOTIONAL
TOO. You will forget the target language and you will start looking for words and
sentences to defend your beliefs and your self-esteem....in your target language. You
will start thinking hard in your target language. You will even start thinking in your
target language aloud. You won't be able to avoid it...

You can use this with religion, politics, sports, science or whatever.

You can even use this with grammar. Do you feel that grammar is boring? Make it alive.
Argue about grammar. Argue about grammar in your target language.

Now this I would agree with him and would thank him for bringing to my attention. Ok, I
will start participating in the Spanish discussion room.

Overall, I think we have the same concepts, we just organize/value them differently.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 20 January 2011 at 11:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 118 of 122
20 January 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa, I do not have time now. Tomorrow I will try to answer. My English isn't as good as my Spanish.

Keywords:

Time, repetition (input, output), highly emotional interaction (input, output)

How to choose the BEST method FOR YOU (or anyone):

Using a Solution-focused approach.

Be continued...

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 119 of 122
20 January 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Are is used because the object holes is plural.

Lots isn't a word...

Only the second sentence is grammatically correct although the first may be more common
in speech.

Isn't "lots" simply the plural of "lot"?

My understanding is that one meaning of "lot" is "group, or collection" so "lots"
would be "several groups or collections".

In which case:

There is a [group] of people = There is a [lot] of people

and

There are [several groups] of people = There are [lots] of people

Edited by Splog on 20 January 2011 at 5:15pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4932 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 120 of 122
23 January 2011 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
What an entertaining thread :)

This discussion contains 122 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version