SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 122
20 December 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
It seems as if whenever we've ran out of interesting topics to discuss, slucido posts another version of his Time+Love=Fluency...
4 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5796 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 122
20 December 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I've tried to stop picking on people's English, but there is a lot of holes in yours, slucido. As you say, you've spent years exposing yourself to English. Why is it some people learn better than you, quicker?

I'll give you a hint: they're following different methods from you.

Really classy.
12 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 19 of 122
20 December 2010 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
KISS is an acronym for

Slucido, you forgot the most important one.
KISS
You drive us wild, but we'll drive you crazy.

Quantity is important, but I see no need to separate it out, parade it around, and hail it as a silver bullet. I challenge
you to sit in a Russian prison for 5 years with nothing but a TV.
6 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 20 of 122
20 December 2010 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I've tried to stop picking on people's English, but there is a lot of holes in yours, slucido. As you say, you've spent years exposing yourself to English. Why is it some people learn better than you, quicker?

I'll give you a hint: they're following different methods from you.

Thank you, but I don't want to learn English because I don't need it.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It seems as if whenever we've ran out of interesting topics to discuss, slucido posts another version of his Time+Love=Fluency...

Time+hate= fluency.

It doesn't matter what emotion you attach as long as you attach emotions. The stronger the better.

In fact I am using the hate technique right now.

Edited by slucido on 20 December 2010 at 8:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 21 of 122
20 December 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
slucido wrote:
KISS is an acronym for

Slucido, you forgot the most important one.
KISS
You drive us wild, but we'll drive you crazy.

Quantity is important, but I see no need to separate it out, parade it around, and hail it as a silver bullet. I challenge

Quantity means repetition.

You can use active repetition, passive repetition, focused repetition, global repetition, love repetition, hate repetition, boring repetition, fun repetition, Assimil repetition, FSI repetition, Pimsleur repetition Michel Thomas repetition, learn in your car repetition, Rosetta stone repetition, movies repetition, natural approach repetition, radio repetition, podcast repetition, songs repetition, Shadowing repetition, scriptorium repetition, chorusing repetition and so on.

You can use listening repetition, speaking repetition, writing repetition or reading repetition.

I forgot that you can use Caintear repetition or Leosmith repetition.

You can use KISS repetition or KICS repetition.

Edited by slucido on 20 December 2010 at 8:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

global_gizzy
United States
maxcollege.blogspot.
Joined 5513 days ago

275 posts - 310 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 122
20 December 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Is that a Mod--armed with a "Lock Thread" baton--I see, approaching from the distance?
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 122
20 December 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
If you want to learn a language to a native level, you need a huge amount of practice and this means repetition (input and output). It doesn't matter what method you use. You can over complicate things, but this is that simple. The difference comes from quantity.

As Splog wrote, QUALITY is important, but what is quality?

The EMOTION you attach to those repetitions. Again, there is no magic here.

Some people write about fun and they are right. If you have fun, you keep doing and you get more repetitions.

Some people write about immersion in your own home. They are right because you get more repetitions.

Some people need to survive in a foreign prison and they learn the language. Fear is a strong emotion and you get more repetition.

Many people think their methods are the right methods if you want to learn a language. If someone learns a language to a native level using other method, they claim that they have learned the language with the "wrong" method or that they don't really "think" like a native speaker...whatever this means.

Those are religion-like positions and they imply strong emotions. This is good because if you want to learn a language, it's important that you believe that you are using the right approach or method. This strong emotional belief is attached with their repetitions, they keep doing their own brand of repetitions and they succeed in the long run.

Emotions are important because they make repetitions more powerful. You remember more when you have emotion. For example, is it better to role-play a situation with your language tutor or Is it better to live this situation in a real situation? Real live is better than any virtual reality practice. Why? Because you have more emotion involved.

It's interesting the strong emotional reactions I get when I point out the obvious. This is our foreseeable nature. Strong emotions are involved here. People need to think that they are doing the right thing that their methods are the best that something special and magical exists...And this is a good thing as long as they attach those emotions to their language learning methods.

It's like when you discover the “secrets” behind many magic tricks, even those that seem miracles, are often so simple that one cannot help but feel disappointed. Our foreseeable reactons are something like:

“This is ridiculous. It cannot be that simple. Slucido is a moron and write bad English”.

At that moment, if you’re like most people, you’ll put the secrect trick away and you will continue thinking the same. Maybe this is good if you attach those emotions to your pet foreign language repetitions, but if you’re honest with yourself (something not frequent),you will have another thought that can transform the way you look at life. No joke. That thought goes something like this:

“Wait a minute. Maybe Slucido is right. Maybe this is true. Maybe is not that ridiculous. Maybe the trick behind the magic is that simple”.

And with this intellectual honesty and understanding you will have discovered that often the most magical things are the result of the application of the most BASIC principles.

I realize that I am heretic because language learning is clearly a complicated topic, but if we don't clear out all the smoke screen we can get lost down the rabbit hole only to come back more confused and broke than when we started.

Regarding language learning, there is a lot of great stuff. Many subtleties and distinctions that can have a strong impact on our ability to learn our target language. Unfortunately, for every one of these, there are a dozen that only serve to over complicate things and confuse.

The good news are that we do not have to spend years wasting time about language learning methods. If you do not believe me, think about all that people who has learned languages and have been around as long as there have been human beings. If they didn’t need today’s “cutting edge” methods and techniques, why do you?

We need the basics. What basics? Guess.

Edited by slucido on 20 December 2010 at 10:15am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4981 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 24 of 122
20 December 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

If the TV Method guy (Keith?) is to be believed, he'd probably pretty much understand spoken Russian by then. ;)

I kind of agree that quantity is were it's at. Even textbooks will bring you far if you spend your whole damn life on them I guess.. ;) Heck, I learnt a great amount of English (you can tell..) and Japanese simply by being a couch potato.
But then again, I personally believe that consistency is almost as important as quantity. A once-in-a-lifetime SLA marathon extravaganza will amount to nothing if that's all you're gonna do, even if you do invest a lot of time.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 122 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version