Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 65 of 80
07 October 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Maybe between us we are the perfect Hungarian student, with your listening skills and my writing (although I know you're probably a lot better than you say).

Strangely I understand seherézáde better than kossuth. The visual context and clear dubbing helps me a lot. I still understand very little though.

You're right that we might indeed reach our goals this year.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 66 of 80
17 October 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
CZECH
I've been trying to give as much time to Czech as possible in the last couple of weeks. I've discovered how easy it is to learn something new for me in Czech after a year and a half of no active study. 90% of new words stay easily in my head and the reviewing process has also been very successful and I realise now how rusty I had been getting with Czech irregularities.

I've watched lots of films, including completing the 4 film series of 'how the world loses poets'. I saw a lot of myself and my best friend in the two main characters and so really enjoyed watching it.

My main source of learning vocabulary has been through reading and noting down almost every new word. I'm reading part 7 from the famous five series, I find that this series has the type of mainstream vocabulary that I want to repeat and learn. I've also started using the system advertised by Benny Lewis (the Irish Polyglot) on his website (I think it's called LWT - learning with texts). It's like Lingq but can be used for many more languages and you can use it for any online text, so I've been inserting texts from seznam.cz and using the system on them.

OTHER LANGUAGES

Hungarian has been a little neglected recently but I still try to chat to myself for at least a few minutes every day and write something and check my grammar book. Spanish has been restricted to a few short chats and some emails and facebook chat.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 67 of 80
27 October 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
CZECH
I've thrown myself back into full-on active Czech study again after 1 1/2 years of just immersion learning. I've mainly been using Benny Lewis's 'Learning With Texts' application on his fluentin3months site, I've already read through about 25 texts on it and 'know' about 3500 words so far. This isn't a reliable number though as for example the verb 'to have' - mít and each of it§s many forms count as one word each - měl, měla, měli, měly, mělo, mám, máš, má, máme, máte, májí, mívám etc. are all different forms of 'have' which I would count as all coming under one word 'known'. However knowing all of these words would give me a score of 13 and more for the forms I didn't mention. So 3500 really translates to about 500 in my mind. I'm aiming for 20000 words 'known' at least.

HUNGARIAN
I try to do something every day, speaking to myself, annoying my wife by speaking to her, studying my grammar book, writing on the multilingual forum or listening to kossuth radio. I'm going to have Hungarian as my focus language again on the November 6 week challenge which will hopefully give me one more little boost before the end of the year.

OTHER
My favourite language experience of the week was watching the Slovak film 'CIGÁN'. Over half the film was in the Romany language (with Czech subtitles) and the other half in Slovak. The Romany part had Czech subtitles but the Slovak part didn't and I found some parts of it quite a struggle to understand and even impossible at times as I think it was some kind of Eastern Slovak dialect. Watching the film gave me a real burst of wanderlust to learn Romany. It could be my first 100 words and phrases language project as discussed on the general discussion forum and suggested by Solfrid Cristin.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 68 of 80
08 November 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks to the 6 week challenge my rate of self-imposed language exposure has increased by probably as much as an hour a day. The challenge is 1 week old so I'm going to try to record my progress every week. I try to be very strict on myself with the timings, especially in Czech and Spanish as I only want to count active intentions to learn or practise.

HUNGARIAN
I' force myself to speak to myself in Hungarian all the way to work and back every day which adds up to at least 30-40 minutes a day. I've also tried to up my rate of writing on the multilingual forum and when driving I always listen to my TY CDs.

It's great to get another boost in my Hungarian before the end of the year, I already feel like I'm speaking quicker. I do look like a psycho though, walking down the street with my dictionary out, mumbling to myself in Hungarian and stopping to check how to say something (because if I kept walking it would be cheating!) several times every trip.

My stats -

Writing - 2 hours 25 minutes
Grammar study - 2 hours
Speaking - 1 hour 50 minutes
Listening - 50 minutes

Overall 7 hours 5 minutes of Hungarian.

CZECH

I've been using Czech a hell of a lot. I speak it 95% of the time with my wife now but don't count that time or time spent chatting during work hours and in shops etc. because that's nothing new. So I've only counted intentional use and learning. When watching TV and films I always cut the time by about 2/3 because sometimes I'm just absorbing and not actively intending to try to learn new phrases or improve my pronunciation. Same for reading, I never count it when I read news stories as I always do this very passively and it's a general habit.

My stats -

Learning with Texts (the new application on Fluent in 3 months) - 5 hours 50 minutes, I'm up to 8000 words known now and 4000ish ignored.
TV and film - 4 hours 5 minutes
Novel (mafie v praze) - 1 hour 25 minutes (includes studying new vocab)
Extra conversation (Special social Czech meetings) - 1 hour

Overall - 12 hours 20 minutes of Czech

SPANISH

Not too much and haven't counted minor chatting or the fact that many of my settings are in Spanish. My only current Spanish project is catching up on writing letters to friends in Costa Rica and Belize.

Writing - 40 minutes
Speaking - 35 minutes

Overall - 1 hour 15 minutes of Spanish

SLOVAK

This consists purely of listening to my favourite songs and studying the vocabulary from these songs and watching a bit of Slovak TV. I really recommend Slovak music as the language is so soft and I would go as far as to say that it's my favourite music in the world!

My favourite songs -

Boli jsme raz milovani by Pavol Habera
Neviem byt sam by Elan
Pri oltari by Kristina

My stats -

Music - 20 minutes
Learning with Texts - 15 minutes
TV - 10 minutes.

Overall - 45 minutes of Slovak

Edited by hribecek on 08 November 2011 at 10:00am

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 69 of 80
15 November 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
My stats for this past week - WEEK 2

HUNGARIAN

Writing - 1 hour 55 minutes (overall 4 hours 20 minutes)
Grammar study - 1 hour 50 minutes (overall 3 hours 50 minutes)
Speaking - 3 hours 5 minutes (overall 4 hours 55 minutes)
Listening - 1 hour 25 minutes (overall 2 hours 15 minutes)
Reading - 1 hour 50 minutes
TV/Film - 1 hour

Week 2 total 11 hours 5 minutes.

Overall 18 hours 11 minutes of Hungarian.

My target was and still is 42 hours of Hungarian in the whole 6 week period for an average of 1 hour a day; at the moment I'm well on track but week 3 and 4 can be a little slow for some people.

CZECH

Learning with Texts - 1 hour 20 minutes (overall 7 hours 10 minutes)
TV and film - 5 hours 35 minutes (overall 9 hours 40 minutes)
Novel (mafie v praze) - 7 hours 5 minutes (overall 8 hours 30 minutes)
Extra conversation (Special Czech meetings) - 30 minutes (overall 1 hour 30 mins)
Music - 20 minutes (this means listening to and studying the lyrics)
Anki - 2 hours 45 minutes

Week 2 total - 14 hours 15 minutes.

Overall - 26 hours 35 minutes of Czech

So I've upped my Czech quantity too. Every spare minute of my day I've been squeezing in some Czech or Hungarian study. It's funny that almost nobody knows the extent of this obsession from my friends or family. Most people just think that I quite like languages and that's it. My target is to beat my overall study record of 110 hours and to maybe finish in the top 10.

SPANISH

Writing - 55 minutes (overall 1 hour 35 minutes)
Speaking - 0 (overall 35 minutes)

Week 2 total - 55 minutes

Overall - 2 hours 10 minutes of Spanish

SLOVAK

Music - 0 (overall 20 minutes)
Learning with Texts - 0 (overall 15 minutes)
TV - 10 minutes (overall 20 minutes).

Week 2 total - 10 minutes

Overall - 55 minutes of Slovak

So nothing to brag about regarding Spanish and Slovak but the extent to my current study rate can be seen in the fact that when writing this I feel restless because I should be doing something in Czech or Hungarian. I feel every minute lost.

Edited by hribecek on 15 November 2011 at 10:37am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5187 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 70 of 80
17 November 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
So I've upped my Czech quantity too. Every spare minute of my day I've been squeezing in some Czech or Hungarian study. It's funny that almost nobody knows the extent of this obsession from my friends or family. Most people just think that I quite like languages and that's it. My target is to beat my overall study record of 110 hours and to maybe finish in the top 10.

I can relate to this. My two best friends know that I study Hungarian, my ex-boyfriend, his family and my family. I adore surprising people :).

In the summer I went to pick up my mother in Budapest, at the Keleti pu. On this railstation, the train come from the west, so a lot of people are trying to bargain with tourists. Especially taximen and money-change-man (how do you say that in English ?). One approched me, and offered a very good course, 1 Euro = 111 Forint or something similar. I just smiled just to him and said Nagyon köszönöm, de nem kérem.. You should have seen his face, priceless. I left him there (before he could really check that I spoke Hungarian), letting him wondering that he made such an offer to an Hungarian :D (the course were at this time around 236 Forint for 1 Euro).

But you stated it well. Language are becoming an obsession...

Good luck with your goals !

Kisfröccs

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 71 of 80
18 November 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
I think I would speak too slowly and my pronunciation wouldn't be good enough to fool a Hungarian into thinking I might be Hungarian, even in such a short and easy sentence.

Regarding secrecy, I feel a bit ashamed to admit to learning languages to most people. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. I feel like if I tell people I'm learning Hungarian then they'll think I'm just showing off and if I admit the extent to which I study other languages, they'd think I'm weird. I know I shouldn't care what people think but it's my character and it's very hard to change it. Only my wife really knows the extent to my language obsession and a few other family members know at least that I like them. That's why I love this site so much because I feel normal here!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 72 of 80
22 November 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
My stats so far, including this WEEK 3 (ANY IDEA HOW I CAN POST IT EXACTLY AS I WROTE IT, INSTEAD OF IT BEING DISJOINTED AND NEEDING LOTS OF EDITING EVERY TIME??????)

HUNGARIAN

........................WEEK 1.........WEEK 2.........WEEK 3........OVERALL       
Writing .............2 hrs 25 mins..1 hr 55 mins...1 HR 10 MINS...5 hrs 30mins
Grammar study......2 hrs..........1 hr 50 mins...25 MINS........4 hrs 15mins
Speaking - ..........1 hr 50 mins...3 hrs 5 mins...3 HRS..........7 hrs 55mins
Listening - ...........50 mins........1 hr 25 mins...35 MINS........2 hrs 55mins
Reading - ............0 mins.........1 hr 50 mins...1 HR 35 MINS...3 hrs 25mins
TV/Film - ..............0 mins..........1 hour..........0 MINS..........1 hr

Week 3 total 6 hours 45 minutes.

Overall 24 hours 55 minutes of Hungarian.

Nearly 5 hours less than last week but that was due to less time rather than less effort and the fact that I didn't want to reduce my Czech time because that is my priority. Still almost an hour a day though.

CZECH

...........................WEEK 1..............WEEK 2...........WEEK 3..............OVERALL

Learning with Texts....5 hrs 50 mins.....1 hr 20 mins.....1 HR 35 MINS.....8 hrs 45mins
TV and film.............4 hrs 5 mins......5 hrs 35 mins....5 HRS 5 MINS....14 hrs 45mins
Novel...................1 hr 25 mins......3 hrs 45 mins....2 HRS 45 MINS....7 hrs 55mins
Extra conversation......1 hour............30 mins..........3 HRS 25 MINS....4 hrs 55mins
Music....................0 mins.............20 minutes........50 MINS...........1 hr 10mins
Anki......................0 mins.............2 hrs 45 mins.....1 HR 30 MINS......4 hrs 15mins

Week 3 total - 15 hours 10 minutes.

Overall - 41 hours 55 minutes of Czech

A little more than last week with many more intense social meetings in Czech. I don't count small talk and chat with my wife.

SPANISH

Writing - 30 minutes (overall 2 hours 5 minutes)
Speaking - 10 minutes (overall 45 minutes)

Week 3 total - 40 minutes

Overall - 2 hours 50 minutes of Spanish

There's no point doing such a detailed chart for Spanish and the HTLAL result is always messed up once I press SEND and I don't know why, so I may as well just keep it simple.

SLOVAK

Music - 0 (overall 20 minutes)
Learning with Texts - 0 (overall 15 minutes)
TV - 0 minutes (overall 20 minutes)
Grammar - 10 minutes

Week 2 total - 10 minutes

Overall - 1 hour 5 minutes of Slovak   

Slovak is just a bit of extra fun for me at the moment but it's amazing how much I learned about Slovak grammar in the 10 minutes I spent reading about it in a bookshop this week. The explanations were in Czech, not English.    

Edited by hribecek on 22 November 2011 at 4:53pm

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version