United States
Joined 4963 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 81 of 102
19 January 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Heck yeah!!!

I'm beyond excited/ecstatic/exhilarated/euphoric/elated right now. My 2012 just got off
to an amazing start!!!
I'm very close to accepting a job offer for a research position in Kenya (about 18
months)!!!
I'm finally returning to my beloved East Africa!!! Hodi Hodi!!! (My Swahili is gonna
become amazing!!! I hope...)

I'll be working in Busia, Kenya. Busia's really close to Lake Victoria and it's also
right next to Uganda (2hrs from Kampala). I'm crazy excited right now. There're so many
things I never got to do the first time I went to East Africa. Maybe this time, I'll
finally get the chance to see the Great Migration.

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5932 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 82 of 102
19 January 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
That's so exciting! You'll have to tell us all about it! I really want to go back to East Africa -- I'm so jealous...

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5399 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 83 of 102
19 January 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Wooow that's such exciting news! Congrats! :D Sounds like 2012 is going to be an amazing
year for you, I don't suppose you'll be doing TAC again? XD

Edited by Quabazaa on 19 January 2012 at 9:50am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 84 of 102
19 January 2012 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Wow, tell me all about it! I envy you!

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 

Message 85 of 102
24 January 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
@ellasevia

Lol, jealous? You're going to Croatia. You're gonna have an amazing time yourself. The
only difference is that I'll be making weekend forays into the likes of Uganda and
Tanzania while you'll be making weekend trips to Hungary and Bosnia.   

@Quabazaa
It sure is exciting. I just signed and sent my offer letter to IPA (the organization
I'm working for) so I guess it's pretty official. I didn't join any TAC team this year
cos I really only wanted to concentrate on Arabic and Spanish this year and I didn't
want to be the joker that started an Arabic TAC team of one!! Besides, you've gotta
admit that none of us have been particularly... ahem... on-top-of-things when it comes
to updating the logs. I often struggle with wondering what to write.

@Sprachprofi
I'm working as a Project Associate for an organization called Innovations for Poverty
Action (IPA). Basically

Wikipedia wrote:
Innovations for Poverty Action is an American non-profit organization
founded in 2002 by Yale economist Dean Karlan. IPA conducts randomized controlled
trials (RCTs), along with other types of quantitative research, to measure the impacts
of development programs in sectors including microfinance, education, health,
governance, agriculture, charitable giving and community development.

I don't want to bore you with the details but in a nutshell I get to conduct RCTs
involving about 30,000 farmers in Western Kenya. I'll be out in the field pretty often
which is great considering my previous shudder-inducing desk job. I'm also applying to
grad school (Development Economics) this year so this will be an invaluable experience.

2 persons have voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 

Message 86 of 102
31 January 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I've just reconnected with a really good friend from college. She's going to be my Arabic
conversation partner (I just haven't told her yet). She's amazing. She took 4 years of
Arabic in college, spent a summer in Syria and another in Egypt. And after graduation, she
joined the CASA program at the Tahrir Square campus of American University in Cairo.
Basically, she was in the thick of things during the first wave of Egyptian protests last
year.

In other news, I've fixed a travel date for Kenya.

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 

Message 87 of 102
10 February 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
I went to the Kenyan embassy yesterday to get a business visa. IMO, one of the best
things about going to any embassy is the possibility of finding native speakers (not
that I was actively on the lookout for them... lol, who am I kidding... going to
embassies is like being informed Christmas came early.) Anyways, there was only 1 other
guy at the embassy. We made eye contact, smiled, and then I pounced. (Don't judge me.
Severe Swahili deprivation. Happens to the best of us.)

Me: Hujambo. Wewe ni Mkenya? (Hello. Are you Kenyan?)
Him: Mimi? (Me?)
Me: Ndiyo. (Yeah)
Him: Ndiyo. Mimi ni Mkenya.
Me: Nzuri. Na mimi pia. (Great. Me too.)*
Him (looks at me incredulously): Hapana.... Haiwezekani... (No... Impossible... )

*I love pranking East Africans whenever I have the (rare) opportunity to speak to one.
I often tell them I'm from Kenya or Tanzania and they look at me like I'm crazy.

Anyways, I had a pretty good 5 minute chat with the guy. I was incredibly rusty but I
was glad I could still sustain a conversation. If anything, I've still got a lot to
work on but I've got my work cut out for me. I've decided that I'm only going to speak
to the Kenyans in Swahili from now on.

PS: Forgot to mention that my BLUE DEVILS whooped the Tar Holes good
yesterday!!!

Edited by strikingstar on 10 February 2012 at 10:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5399 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 88 of 102
10 February 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
You are making me want to learn Swahili! Hehe made me smile that you said you were Kenyan
:) Just wait till you can pull it off!

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version