jsun
Groupie
Joined 4898 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 

Message 10 of 48
21 January 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
It's silly.

We in Poland learn at school without using any loanwords!

Long time ago Japan translated European vocabulary into kanji, to introduce Western
Science to the country.

Chinese(and Koreans) borrowed them from Japan.

That's quite normal process, long time ago(Middle Ages), it was Europe which was
backwards to Arabic countries and Asia.

And not all Chinese scientific vocabulary is borrowed from Japanese!

Look at the Mendeleev Table in Chinese Wikipedia!
Each element has it's own Chinese character! (Japanese uses katakana loanwords ).

Chinese is still borrowing from the Japanese on social issues as Japan is the first in Asia
to encounter problems of long term economic downturn after success,

For example,
宅男, 電車男,,熟女, 剩女, 獨男...

In Cantonese,
Japanese 獨男(single guy, with the implication of being lonely due to economic status) is
reanalyzed into 毒男(toxic guy).

The most notorious in the sea of Japanese loanword is "M 型社會".
In Japanese, the phenomenon of the shrinking of the middle class is called "m字型社会".
In Chinese writing, it's called "m 型社會'

The lowest point in the graph is the population of the middle class.

Have you ever study chemistry and biology in Chinese?
I did. It's a nightmare. Chinese languages are good literature but not for science.

Edited by jsun on 22 January 2011 at 12:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5039 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 48
22 January 2011 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Spanish lacks absolutely no scientific terminology whatsoever.

One problem is that most of our modern so-called 'men of science' have very little knowledge of anything outside their own microfield, and they only arrived to some degree of knowledge after ignoring pretty much everything before their university years (which includes any serious study of their mother tongue). So they start studying seriously for the first time in their lives and they naturally adopt terms from whatever language the most bibliography happens to be written in, which is usually English, instead of using perfectly appropriate terms from their mother tongue. Incidentally, these are heard all the time from senior, real scientists.

The irony is, most scientific neologisms are coined words from Classic Greek and Latin roots anyway, so most scientific loan words are not loan words at all, except for the bizarre English around them. It's usually just a matter of cleaning up.

So in the beginning you hear students speaking Spanish with a great deal of English in it for technical stuff, but it gradually disappears as they realize that proper Spanish terms are there, and they're easier to understand and use.

The only field I hear true English loan words from all the time is computing, where things like 'software' (what's that? soft tools?), 'chip', 'pin', or 'buffer' are common. But every time you develop something new and you need a word for it, either you make up a new one or you borrow it from somewhere else. Spaniards arrived at that field when all the necessary terms were there, so why not borrow instead of reinventing them?

WRT the language classes are imparted in I'd say English is used only very rarely at most universities, because it's not widely spoken. But, of course, I can't speak in behalf of everyone (just this time ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6910 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 12 of 48
22 January 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Arabic is alright for basic science stuff, but if you get into the names of compounds and chemicals then it breaks down. For example, CO2 is "thani oxide al karbon" ثاني اكسيد الكربون , I imagine very few languages have their own words for things like that though. Are there languages that have made their own words for the elements or are the elements pretty much the same around the world?

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5261 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 13 of 48
22 January 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
ANK47 wrote:
Arabic is alright for basic science stuff, but if you get into the names
of compounds and chemicals then it breaks down. For example, CO2 is "thani oxide al
karbon" ثاني اكسيد الكربون , I imagine very few languages have their own words for things
like that though. Are there languages that have made their own words for the elements or
are the elements pretty much the same around the world?

yep. just few examples from Slavic languages: carbon is 'ugljenik' in Serbian, which
comes from Serbian word for coal, 'ugalj'. Word for oxygen is 'kiseonik' with the root
from the word 'kiselina' - acid. Hydrogen is 'vodonik', from the word for water, 'voda'.
And so on. On the other hand, some not-so-everyday elements have names coming directly
form Latin, like Kalijum and Natrijum (where did English got potassium and sodium from?).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5039 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 48
22 January 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
...Hydrogen is 'vodonik', from the word for water, 'voda'.
And so on. On the other hand, some not-so-everyday elements have names coming directly
form Latin, like Kalijum and Natrijum (where did English got potassium and sodium from?).
The same place where Spanish got 'potasio' and 'sodio' from :)

Incidentally, 'hydrogen' comes from Classic Greek meaning 'gives origin to water' so the parallel in Slavic languages is rather obvious.

null
Groupie
China
Joined 5938 days ago

76 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 15 of 48
22 January 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Cyrus wrote:
Thanks for your answers ;)

As China spends for a few months the second largest budget in R&D behind the US (it overtook Japan this year), I
thought that mandarin would naturally have its own scientific language, mostly because the chinese language tends
to transform a lot of (initially) borrowed vocabulary (for example they say "dian nao" instead of "computer" like a lot
of languages do). I wasn't aware of the fact that so much vocabulary was borrowed.

However, what about arabic and Spanish ? I want the answer ! :D
Do you know if they really lack scientific vocabulary ?

Here's a dictionary of 577,092 scientific terms in English, Chinese and Japanese:

http://www.msckobe.com/links/dic/a.htm

and a Huge Chinese - English dictionary of technology with 750,269 English terms, 744,542 Chinese terms and 805,139 terms submitted by the users:

http://www3.zzu.edu.cn/zzjdict/

The Largest Technology Dicitionay in China (as far as i know)《中英科技大词典》(software, current version 1.3) has 2.4 million English - Chinese terms listed.

Edited by null on 22 January 2011 at 12:38pm

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5847 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 16 of 48
22 January 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
ANK47 wrote:
Arabic is alright for basic science stuff, but if you get into the names
of compounds and chemicals then it breaks down. For example, CO2 is "thani oxide al
karbon" ثاني اكسيد الكربون , I imagine very few languages have their own words for things
like that though. Are there languages that have made their own words for the elements or
are the elements pretty much the same around the world?

yep. just few examples from Slavic languages: carbon is 'ugljenik' in Serbian, which
comes from Serbian word for coal, 'ugalj'. Word for oxygen is 'kiseonik' with the root
from the word 'kiselina' - acid. Hydrogen is 'vodonik', from the word for water, 'voda'.

Oh, gosh. This is fun. Let's compare several languages; I hope other people will also contribute to the multilingual chemistry dictionary.

Bulgarian / Russian / French / English
Sn калай, олово, étain, tin   ( 4 completely different words )
Pb олово, свинец, plomb, lead   ( 4 words; also notice "олово" is lead in Bulgarian and tin in Russian )
Au злато, золото, or, gold   ( 3 )
Ag сребро, серебро, argent, silver   ( 3 )
Cu мед, медь, cuivre, copper   ( 2.5 )
Fe желязо, железо, fer, iron   ( 3 )
H водород, водород, hydrogène, hydrogen   (2 versions)
O кислород, кислород, oxygène, oxygen   (2)
C въглерод, углерод, carbone, carbon   ( углерод/въглерод is similar, let's say 2.5 )
S сяра, сера, soufre, sulphur   ( 2.5; tricky spelling differences in the Fr/En pair )
Na натрий, натрий, sodium, sodium   ( 2 )
K калий, калий, potassium, potassium   ( 2 )
Hg живак, ртутъ, mercure, mercury   ( 3 )

Edited by Sennin on 22 January 2011 at 8:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version