United States
Joined 5257 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 41 of 48
11 February 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
jsun wrote:
Without Japanese loanword, modern Chinese languages just can't function at all.

Why did the Japanese make new words out of Chinese words (not talking about kanji usage, the fact that they used the Chinese pronunciations for most of them) and not so much with native Japanese words?
1 person has voted this message useful

jsun
Groupie
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 

Message 42 of 48
12 February 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:

Why did the Japanese make new words out of Chinese words (not talking about kanji
usage, the fact that they used the Chinese pronunciations for most of them) and not so much
with native Japanese words?

Sometimes Japanese took out vocabularies from ancient Chinese literature, altered the
definition and used them on another aspects. That's why a member in the previous page
doesn't agree that some vocabularies are Japanese made. Also, Japanese admired and
respected Chinese culture for many centuries....until they lost in WW2 - they simplified Kanji
and imported Western idea into Japanese phonetically.

OT
Kinomo is derived from ancient Chinese clothing.
Qipao is Manchurian clothing and Chinese want to revive Hanfu.
The photo of Hanfu.

The photo of Kinomo

EDIT: photos removed by newyorkeric

Edited by newyorkeric on 12 February 2011 at 4:21am

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4987 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 43 of 48
17 February 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
jsun wrote:
clumsy wrote:
It's silly.

We in Poland learn at school without using any loanwords!

Long time ago Japan translated European vocabulary into kanji, to introduce Western
Science to the country.

Chinese(and Koreans) borrowed them from Japan.

That's quite normal process, long time ago(Middle Ages), it was Europe which was
backwards to Arabic countries and Asia.

And not all Chinese scientific vocabulary is borrowed from Japanese!

Look at the Mendeleev Table in Chinese Wikipedia!
Each element has it's own Chinese character! (Japanese uses katakana loanwords ).

Chinese is still borrowing from the Japanese on social issues as Japan is the first in Asia
to encounter problems of long term economic downturn after success,

For example,
宅男, 電車男,,熟女, 剩女, 獨男...

In Cantonese,
Japanese 獨男(single guy, with the implication of being lonely due to economic status) is
reanalyzed into 毒男(toxic guy).

The most notorious in the sea of Japanese loanword is "M 型社會".
In Japanese, the phenomenon of the shrinking of the middle class is called "m字型社会".
In Chinese writing, it's called "m 型社會'

The lowest point in the graph is the population of the middle class.

Have you ever study chemistry and biology in Chinese?
I did. It's a nightmare. Chinese languages are good literature but not for science.

Well, I agree that they borrow a lot , Japan is now very influencial country.
However, some words cannot be borrowed - if they are written in katakana, then Chinese often create they own term, I think.
So I would not say that they lack vocabulary.
I have not studied much of chemistry etc. but I often go to Wikipedia to see things.
They have their own Asian species classification.
門 剛 目 属 科 - It's the same across CJK.
But as for Dinosaur names, Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese use names taken from Western world (except for some common names), Chinese have their own names - Velociraptor - fast dragon.
It's very interesting.

On the other hand, my friend once told me that they use German terms in medical schools in Korea.

Edited by newyorkeric on 18 February 2011 at 1:55am

skyr
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4842 days ago

15 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Swedish
Studies: Italian, Icelandic, Czech, Slovak, Serbian

Message 44 of 48
28 February 2011 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Sennin wrote:
Bulgarian / Russian / French / English
Sn калай, олово, étain, tin   ( 4 completely different words )
Pb олово, свинец, plomb, lead   ( 4 words; also notice "олово" is lead in Bulgarian and tin in Russian )
Au злато, золото, or, gold   ( 3 )
Ag сребро, серебро, argent, silver   ( 3 )
Cu мед, медь, cuivre, copper   ( 2.5 )
Fe желязо, железо, fer, iron   ( 3 )
H водород, водород, hydrogène, hydrogen   (2 versions)
O кислород, кислород, oxygène, oxygen   (2)
C въглерод, углерод, carbone, carbon   ( углерод/въглерод is similar, let's say 2.5 )
S сяра, сера, soufre, sulphur   ( 2.5; tricky spelling differences in the Fr/En pair )
Na натрий, натрий, sodium, sodium   ( 2 )
K калий, калий, potassium, potassium   ( 2 )
Hg живак, ртутъ, mercure, mercury   ( 3 )

Latin (incl.late 'scientific' Latin), Danish, German

Sn stannum, tin, Zinn
Pb plumbum, bly, Blei
Au aurum, guld, Gold
Ag argentum, sølv, Silber
Cu aes, kobber. Kupfer
Fe ferrum, jern, Eisen
H hydrogenium (late!), brint, Wasserstoff
O oxygenium (late!), ilt, Sauerstoff
C carboneum, kulstof, Kohlenstoff
S sulphur, svovl, Schwefel
Na natrium (late!), natrium, Natrium
K kalium (late), kalium, Kalium
Hg hydrargyrum (from Greek)/argentum vivum, kviksølv, Quecksilber

English - Icelandic - Czech
Sn Tin - tin - cín
Pb Lead - blý - olovo (?)
Au Gold - gull - zlato (?)
Ag Silver - silfur - stříbro
Cu Copper - kopar - měd'
Fe Iron - járn - železo
H Hydrogen - vetni - vodík
O Oxygen - súrefni - kíslik
C Carbon - kolefni - uhlík
S Sulphur - brennistein - sirný
Na Sodium - natríum/natrín - sodík
K potassium - kalín - draslik
Hg Mercury - kvikasilfur - rtut'

Quite a few calques/neologisms :)

edited to neaten up the columns and write out the names of the languages in full!

Edited by skyr on 28 February 2011 at 1:19am

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6398 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 45 of 48
04 May 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
p.s. ДНК /De-N-Ka/ in Bulgarian.

Same in Russian: ДНК /De-еN-Ka/ дезоксерибонуклеиновая кислота (deoxyribonucleic acid)

i.e. the word acid (кислота) is translated, hence "K" instead of an "A" at the end of the acronym

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6398 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 46 of 48
04 May 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
On the other hand, some not-so-everyday elements have names coming directly form Latin, like Kalijum and Natrijum (where did English got potassium and sodium from?).

I remember being puzzled by it in the same manner and having to force myself to memorize the illogical names of elements in English. Our chemistry teacher said potassium and sodium were "historical names", which I assume means those names were in common use before Mendeleyev's periodic table was formulated.

Here is the online etymology dictionary on the subject http://www.etymonline.com (note that they appear to be tracing "sodium" to Arabic origins):

Sodium - metallic alkaline element, 1807, coined by Eng. chemist Humphry Davy from soda; so called because the element was isolated from caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). The chemical symbol Na is from Natrium.

Soda - late 15c., "alkaline substance," from It. sida (or M.L. soda) "a kind of saltwort," from which soda is obtained, probably from Arabic suwwad, the name of a variety of saltwort exported from North Africa to Sicily in the Middle Ages, related to sawad "black," the color of the plant. The meaning "carbonated water" is first recorded 1834, a shortening of soda water (1802). Soda fountain is from 1824; soda jerk first attested 1883. First record of soda pop is from 1873.

Potassium - 1807, coined by Eng. chemist Sir Humphrey Davy (1778-1829) from Mod.L. potassa, Latinized form of potash (q.v.). Davy first isolated it from potash. It's symbol - K - comes from the Latin word kalium.

Potash - 1640s, loan-translation of Du. potaschen, lit. "pot ashes;" so called because it was originally obtained by soaking wood ashes in water and evaporating the mixture in an iron pot. Cf. Ger. Pottasche, Dan. potaske, Swed. pottaska. See also potassium. Fr. potasse (1570s), It. potassa are Germanic loan-words.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 47 of 48
05 May 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
skyr wrote:
[QUOTE=Iversen]
English - Icelandic - Czech
Sn Tin - tin - cín
Pb Lead - blý - olovo (?)
Au Gold - gull - zlato (?)
Ag Silver - silfur - stříbro
Cu Copper - kopar - měd'
Fe Iron - járn - železo
H Hydrogen - vetni - vodík
O Oxygen - súrefni - kíslik
C Carbon - kolefni - uhlík
S Sulphur - brennistein - sirný
Na Sodium - natríum/natrín - sodík
K potassium - kalín - draslik
Hg Mercury - kvikasilfur - rtut'

Quite a few calques/neologisms :)

edited to neaten up the columns and write out the names of the languages in full!

just a few points to the czech version: olovo and zlato are perfect. kíslik is kyslík and sirný is síra. (I hope Iversen won't mind my corrections, since he's interested in both languages and sciences :-) )

sirný is used when the sulfur is in molecule where it's oxidation number is +1 :-)
(+2 would be sirnatý, +3 siřitý, +4 siřičitý, +5 siřičný, +6 sírový, +7 siřistý, +8 siřičelý. of course not all these oxidation numbers for sulfur kations exist, it's just an exemple. I hope all the diacritics shows well.)

The Czech language got lots of scientific vocabulary in 19th century where the language as a whole experienced kind of ressurection. The vocabulary came from what already was there but a part of it was artificaly made to prove that the czech language is as usable as German to express anything. Since the second half of 19th century, the need for new scientific terms has increased a lot of course. There are czech words for quite everything, quite many of them are original. Others have English roots, a few came even from french or German. A lot of words came from latin and ancient greek, while a lot of those were not changed at all.

Which term is used depends mostly on which part of science are you spaking of. When speaking of computers, English terms will be used of course. Zoology, there are czech words for everything and they are widely used. If you want to sound real clever or need to pass a university exam, than you'll use the latin. But in some sciences it is more complicated, such as anatomy. Students learn latin and doctors use it. Patients use mostly czech and sometimes a latin word, if it is a widely known one. But I have heard that the Greek gave roots to most terms of pathology (as a result some pieces of the body have several names. and a few more based on names of the people who were the first to find it :-)). And chemistry, the czech nomenclature is very rich and logical and there are not many things where we need to borrow words. Yes, the previously mentioned DNA is deoxyribonukleová kyselina, which is borrowed.

Sorry about a long post. (Feels a bit strange to post that much about such a small and unimportant language :-D)

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4890 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 48 of 48
12 May 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I read about Anatomy a few days ago, and realised that the words (many of them) I already
knew because I have them adapted to my native language.

Deoxyribonucleic acid <> Ácido desoxirribonucleico

Most of scientific words I find in Portuguese, come from English. Or is it the opposite? I
don't think so. As Science develops, we develop our language too.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version