It's just a game;D
In French, Italian and Spanish, this is my rating:

Loki 9
Luca 8
Arguelles 7+ (Italian 5)
Stu-Jay 6--
Kaufmann 6
Moses, Glossika <5

Funny. A native friend of mine said Luca sounded exactly native in Spanish.

I agree. Luca's Spanish sounds native (Castilian).

Richard Torbyrne sounds native in Spanish (Latin American) and Catala (Central).

Edited by slucido on 27 January 2011 at 1:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cammela
Tetraglot
Senegal
Joined 4849 days ago

28 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: French*, ItalianC2, Spanish, GermanB2

Message 11 of 62
27 January 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
Torbyrne is great, he doesn't sound like a native, but his accent is very good.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4918 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 12 of 62
27 January 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Luca has really good standard pronunciation in Mandarin. Almost like a true mainlander :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 13 of 62
27 January 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
CheeseInsider wrote:
Luca has really good standard pronunciation in Mandarin. Almost like a true mainlander :)

Luca Lampariello explains here his method:

Part one:

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/part-one-an-easy-way-to- learn-foreign-languages/

Part two:

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/an-easy-way-to-learn-for eign-languages-part-two/

Edited by slucido on 27 January 2011 at 1:47pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6715 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 14 of 62
27 January 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
This guy is pretty good too (Spanish and teaching about language learning):

Tartansoxdundas

And another great thing about YT language learners is that you can find a lot of interesting people and sites through their channels.

Edited by translator2 on 27 January 2011 at 3:25pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 62
28 January 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I know we are talking about pronunciation (under the general term of accent), and I share the general evaluation that few polyglots sound really native, although some are closer than others. The whole thing confirms to me how difficult it is to develop native-like pronunciation at an adult age.

I don't want to re-ignite that contentious debate about the importance of sounding like a native, but I'm curious as to why this focus on comparing to a so-called idealized native. Why not look at intelligibility or pleasantness? I personally am much more interested in the mastery of grammar and idiomatic vocabulary. I tend to look at what the person has to say rather than how well they pronounce the words. This is what really impresses me.

As I've said on many occasions, I find the presence of a slight accent actually quite pleasant. I would go so far as to say that it can be more charming than sounding like a native. I personally like listening to Steve Kaufman in his various languages because he usually has something interesting to say, regardless of his accent. In French, he doesn't sound native Québécois, French, Belgian, Swiss, Martiniquan or whatever. So what? It doesn't bother me at all.

This whole thing reminds me of all these Youtube videos of non-Chinese people speaking (excellent) Chinese. There seems to be something exotic about seeing a black person speaking perfect Mandarin or Cantonese. As if this were something impossible. Historically and statistically this is rare, but we all know that it's all a question of how one has been exposed to the language. If you look at Europe today, and even more so North America, many combinations of racial or ethnic origins and language are very common.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 16 of 62
28 January 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
This guy is pretty good too (Spanish and teaching about language learning):

Tartansoxdundas

And another great thing about YT language learners is that you can find a lot of interesting people and sites through their channels.

I had a look at this this video and after listening to Carl teaching English, the thought occurred to me that I'm not sure that as a learner of English I would want to sound like Carl. I'm not sure where his accent is from, but I would certainly not recommend it as an ideal for most learners, especially for people who intend to interact with North Americans. There's nothing wrong with his accent of course, but it is a very localized British accent. Should learners of English strive to sound like Carl?

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version