Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
62 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 8 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 62
31 January 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
(...) Some actually have little interest for pronunciation. I can't help wonder whether they have terrible accents because they don't care, or if they don't care because they're not good at it. Perhaps it's the ultimate frontier.

I recognize myself in this. It is too harsh to say I don't care about pronunciation, but I don't expect that I can become a wonder of pronunciation when I listen and speak as little as I do in most of my languages. I know that I can adapt fairly quickly when I'm traveling around in a relevant country, and that my accents in most languages in between deteriorate - but that's life. For me the importance of language learning isn't oral communication.

Edited by Iversen on 31 January 2011 at 5:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandy
United Kingdom
Joined 5424 days ago

37 posts - 61 votes 

Message 27 of 62
31 January 2011 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
If Huliganov is a genius then he is a very annoying genius. His Gold List method is obviously one of his little jokes. If language learning was so easy then we would all be polyglots. It is obvious that he is a native English speaker. From his accent I would say he was brought up in north London. I think his language ability can be put down to a very high IQ and to the fact that he seems to be one of those people who never stops talking or joking. He would have had far more practice speaking than the average language learner.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 28 of 62
31 January 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Sandy wrote:
If Huliganov is a genius then he is a very annoying genius. His Gold List method is obviously one of his little jokes. If language learning was so easy then we would all be polyglots.

I agree. I don't think he is explainig this seriously.

Sandy wrote:

It is obvious that he is a native English speaker. From his accent I would say he was brought up in north London.

He sounds like Ricky Gervais to me.

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 30 of 62
01 February 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
minaaret wrote:

As to the method itself. What Huliganov says (in a nutshell): grab an audiobook of a novel and two texts (L1 and L2), highlight unknown words and add them to Goldlist.

Thank you. Maybe I didn't understand the method. I am going to review it.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 31 of 62
05 February 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:

minaaret wrote:

As to the method itself. What Huliganov says (in a nutshell): grab an audiobook of a novel and two texts (L1 and L2), highlight unknown words and add them to Goldlist.

Thank you. Maybe I didn't understand the method. I am going to review it.

I have just watched the videos and posts about the Gold list method and it makes sense.
If I understand, you can work with words from any source (even dictionaries) or sentences.

I am very sorry I thought it was a joke.

Edited by slucido on 05 February 2011 at 7:59pm

flabbergasted
Triglot
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 6152 days ago

75 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Latvian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Serbo-Croatian, Catalan, Persian

Message 32 of 62
05 February 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Can anyone direct me to a clip in which Huliganov speaks Russian at length?

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version