Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 49 of 62
11 May 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
szastprast wrote:

The more I learn/read about all these polyglots out there, the more
puzzled/disappointed/surprised I become. I've learned nothing about learning languages
from them. I've read their books, I've read plenty of posts. Nothing. I must have been
unlucky.

What were you expecting to learn from them? I have learned a lot, and in particular
that most polyglots love language learning, and wake up thinking about languages. They
have a passion that keeps them going no matter what. The other thing I have learned is
that the more languages you learn, the easier it gets, but even then it is still a lot
of work.

These things may seem obvious, but hearing them over and over again is the best lesson
I could have ever learned. They stopped me dreaming that somewhere out there was the
one magic secret that all the polyglots shared and would one days reveal to the rest of
us.

Edited by Splog on 11 May 2011 at 9:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 50 of 62
11 May 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
After all I've read, I don't think anything's changed about the way I learn. I suppose I always presumed (had the arrogance to think?) that I was already using the best method (for me?). However, I really enjoy learning about how others work, in particular how and why people struggle in places others may not. I've also come to understand better what I do. But nothing much has changed in... over 20 years.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 53 of 62
12 May 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
szastprast wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
After all I've read, I don't think anything's changed about the way I learn. I suppose I always presumed (had the arrogance to think?) that I was already using the best method (for me?). However, I really enjoy learning about how others work, in particular how and why people struggle in places others may not. I've also come to understand better what I do. But nothing much has changed in... over 20 years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be mean at all. One of the biggest surprises I got was when I read how you started learning Japanese without even knowing that they have pitch accent. And you are a professional language learner, a translator.

If you were surprised, imagine how I was surprised to hear about Steve, who even lived there for almost a decade.

I did know about the famous hashi example, but I didn't know that every syllable had a predetermined height. None of the material I used mentioned it and my language partners were all from Kansai. In any case, I've worked on it since.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 55 of 62
12 May 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
I did know about the famous hashi example, but I didn't know that every syllable had a predetermined height. None of the material I used mentioned it and my language partners were all from Kansai. In any case, I've worked on it since.

How have you worked on it? Elaborate if you will.

Wikipedia says,

Japanese pitch accent (高低アクセント kōtei akusento) is a feature of the Japanese language. It distinguishes words in most Japanese dialects, though the nature and location of the accent for a given word may vary between dialects.

Does "most Japanese dialects" literally mean not all dialects? If so, which do not have pitch accent?

A few dialects indeed have no pitch, but they are rare (Ibaraki-ben?). There is apparently a certain predictability in the variations between dialects, but I'm not very well informed on that aspect.

I've been working on it by trying, first of all, to understand how it works and how to predict how the pitch of a sentence or phrase will surface once I know the basic pitch of all individual parts, and by asking language partners to correct me and paying close attention to the pitch of the most common words.

Mei190
United Kingdom
Joined 5136 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 56 of 62
14 May 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
This thread was such an interesting read.

To just add about the 高低アクセント. It makes it so hard for language learners like me when you learn a word with the wrong pitch as it is really difficult to correct yourself. My example is a terrible one, 今(ima) with Kansai pitch instead of standard Tokyo. If I link to a map, you will see the white areas as the places considered to have no pitch accent.

File:Japanese_pitch_accent_map.png

I find the only way that works with me is constant memorising of common word pitches (NHK accent dictionary PC with the practice guide is quite good for this) so that one can start to fine tune their ear to the different accents. Some people who are quite talented in this aspect will surely pick up on it quite quickly, however for someone with a hearing problem, reading and then practising is my only option.

Unlike Arekkusu, I am not doing the prediction method, I think this will all come with time, eventually everything should just click in place.

Edited by Keith on 16 May 2011 at 8:26pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version