Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 68
13 February 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
When I first wanted to learn Italian, I read 3000 pages of Italian (which I was able to do because it is so similar to Spanish and French) and then I went to Italy. Within three weeks I was speaking Italian.

When I had been in France for about a month, and was just starting to learn French, I started reading some lesser known Alexandre Dumas thing, which I understood very little of in the beginning, but I saw that at the end of the book I understood a lot.

When I wrote my thesis in English, I had to read wast amounts of 18th and 19th century Italian literature, a lot of it in Venetian dialect, and again I made the experience, that if you read a lot of literature you learn a lot of new words, even if you do not look up any words in the dictionary. (In this particular case it wouldn't have done me much good to try anyway,because all I had was a pocket dictionary, and it definitely did not cover Venetian dialect from the 19th century.)

At the age of 10 my mother imposed a ban on Nordic literature, to force me into reading English, and I saw that reading made me learn really fast. In this case I actually started looking up the words in a dictionary, but I did not havce the patience to continue, so I soon dropped the dictionary.

Do any of you have similar experiences?
12 persons have voted this message useful

danieldesu
Diglot
United States
Joined 5470 days ago

15 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 68
13 February 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
As an American, I struggled with many different ways to learn a language. What I later realized was that I never
really had confidence that I would one day be able to use the language for real (in my case, we are talking about
Japanese).

Finally, I came across someone who had learned by just jumping right into native material and digesting it, so
being super motivated, I read through about 100 pages of Japanese in about a week. Granted, this was a graded
reader, but still, it was a set of decently long and complex passages, unlike anything I had tried to tackle before.

The first time through, I understood between 60-70%, and a lot of the grammar just didn't quite make sense.
Then I read through those 100 pages again and something amazing happened: I understood about 95% of what I
was reading. I felt as though my Japanese had doubled or tripled in ability from where I was the week before
(and I had already been studying over a year). The grammar that I never really understood before had become
cemented in my brain and I learned 100s of new words, just from reading! From that point, I made reading a
LARGE part of studies, and always recommend it to avid language learners.
10 persons have voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6577 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 68
13 February 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Reading is my main method. I think it's just about the most powerful way of learning
once you reach the point where you can read books. I suspect a big reason for this is
that books command your attention more than other media. Tv is too easy to ignore, it
keeps going by itself. Similarly, radio is only audible and it's too easy to get
distracted by something in your field of vision. With a book you engage your vision and
the book doesn't make progress without your attention, so it's the most "quality time"
that I generally get out of learning.

Then there is the aspect of both seeing the language on paper and hearing it in your
head as you read to yourself, which teaches me more than hearing it alone.

I'm on 8000 pages of Italian and 1600 pages of Dutch, and I plan to keep it up for a
while.
9 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 68
13 February 2011 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
You could end up having to look up a lot of words if the languages aren't similar enough and/or you don't have some knowledge of the target language, but I think reading (or listening for that matter) still is a good exercise.

I know I can read some Portuguese thanks to my Spanish, some Dutch thanks to my German and so on. If I only immersed myself in this (Wanderlust, anyone?), my passive skills could be active.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4875 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 5 of 68
13 February 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Reading is my main method to study English. I think it's one of the best ways to learn. When I start a new language, I try really hard to read it, as I did for German. I've searched on a website the most common words (they were 100). So when I mastered these words, I started to read German texts and understood a little, sometimes I got the meaning of some sentence. In my opinion it's a great progress in only three weeks. I would like to do the same to Japanese, but I would not be able to read until I had learned all the kanji (with different readings) and kanas.
1 person has voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5191 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 6 of 68
13 February 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Kato Lomb learned all of her languages by reading. I have not yet started reading in Arabic, I just don't have enough
of a base yet. However, with all of my other languages this time around my cycle the main structure of my learning
is going to be through reading. I think you have to "bootstrap" (to steal someone else's word) a little before you
jump right into reading. Just so you have some basic knowledge and words to start from. After that though, I
believe that you can grow exponentially by reading.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 7 of 68
13 February 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently trying to use this method to build my abilities in Spanish. Yesterday I bought Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone in Spanish and, although I understand maybe 50% of it, with the use of the English version of
the book, I can understand the meaning of the text without the use of a dictionary. I hope that I can keep this up
but it sounds like from your experiences that it can actually help me learn Spanish.

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version