tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 41 of 68
22 February 2011 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
The first chapter of the first volume took me an average of an hour and a half per page. The final chapter of the last volume took me an average of four minutes per page.

I bow to your superior ... degree of masochism. How did you manage that?
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 42 of 68
22 February 2011 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Splog wrote:
The first chapter of the first volume took me an average of
an hour and a half per page. The final chapter of the last volume took me an average of
four minutes per page.

I bow to your superior ... degree of masochism. How did you manage that?

Hahaha ...

The first volume was certainly very painful. In fact, I understood so little of the
first few chapters that my head was in the dictionary more often than in the harry
potter book. To relieve the agony, I re-read the first few chapters many times - and
each time felt that at last a glimmer of understanding was coming through. Well before
the end of the first book, though, I was starting to actually grasp the meaning of
whole sentences without a dictionary - which gave me quite a boost.

By the start of the second book it was starting to be tolerable, albeit still quite
slow - but I could already feel "this is working!" which kept me going.

Probably by the fourth or fifth book I wasn't aware at sporadic times that I was
reading in a foreign languages. I had quite a few "wow!" moments as I realised this.

Beyond that point, it was just plain sailing - I could read for hours without it being
painful or exhausting. Of course, there were still plenty of words I didn't understand,
but my reading speed had increased substantially, and the percentage of known words was
high enough for me to (usually) guess the (approximate) meaning of the unknown words.

By the final volume, I rarely needed the dictionary. Looking back at my notes, I was
looking an average of less than one word per page - and usually just jotting those few
words down and looking them up at the end of each chapter. Often, they were obscure
words, which I had little interest in memorizing.

It was, indeed, a sort of trial-by-fire - but sticking with it through the early pain
certainly paid dividends.

This process is, I believe, called "narrow reading" wherein you read a series of books
by the same author. Previously, I had done a lot of scatter-gun reading of random
volumes - often without success. Narrow reading seems to work well with the harry
potter series because the first couple of volumes are aimed at a younger audience than
later volumes - so your abilities are gradually stretched through the series.

I remember reading that JK Rowling did this deliberately, realising that the fans of
her first book were growing up, and would expect more mature writing in later volumes.
It helped my language learning grow up too.

Edited by Splog on 22 February 2011 at 11:03am

14 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 43 of 68
22 February 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I still don't understand where you got the willpower from!
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 44 of 68
23 February 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:

Yes, I wonder the same.

I don't need methods to learn languages. There are a lot of good ones.
I need methods to keep doing these methods.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 45 of 68
23 February 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:

To be honest, I do have the advantage of a lot of time. Before retirement, my free time
was so scarce that I was constantly rushing for quick progress, and trying to maximize
every hour I spent on languages.

Only after retirement did I feel I could relax into a time-consuming activity such as
reading all the HP books, with very little positive feedback coming from it in the first
few weeks.

If I only had, say, an hour a day, I am not sure I would have had the patience, nor
courage, to go though with it.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 46 of 68
23 February 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I also have a lot of free time on my hands, but I still put down any book where I need more than about 5 minutes to read a page or where I have to look up more than a word a page if I want to get the gist of what's going on. I really wish I had your frustration tolerance!

LouisaBalata
Triglot
France
Joined 4828 days ago

9 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Persian, Modern Hebrew

Message 47 of 68
01 March 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I did exactly the same thing to learn English : I bought "The Lord of The Rings" ( having read it in french I knew I
loved the book enough to endure the coming pain ), and the first book was painful, having to look up in the
dictionnary for several words in each sentences, but by the end of it I didn't need the dictionnary ...
If you don't find a series of books like Harry Potter, you can buy differents books from an author you know you like,
because he has a particular style of writing and that helps you a lot I think : you get used to the style and the
vocabulary he/she uses first and then you slowly begin to appreciate the books, and understanding them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 48 of 68
01 March 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
LouisaBalata wrote:
you can buy different books from an author you know you like,
because he has a particular style of writing and that helps you a lot I think

This is very good advice. For me, that author is Hammond Innes. There are about 30 of his books, and most have been translated into my target language Dutch. I expect they have been translated into many other languages as well. I find that translated books tend to have easier words, sentences and expressions, although I think some expressions get translated a bit too literally. The purists will say it is better to read native target language books but I think translated material is better until you become a fluent reader. The Hammond Innes books have lots of action and are fast moving. The stories are straightforward, easy to follow, and use relatively easy words. For me, they are interesting and I find it easy to continue reading.

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version