Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is the verb "to be" irregular in your...

Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
carlonove
United States
Joined 5797 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 25 of 41
12 March 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Envinyatar wrote:
It seems Jamaican and "Pirate" are regular too:

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/6382/cce8d4d213334fcf8e9c 765.jpg

Jamaican is a creole.

Papiamentu and Haitian are also creoles, and their verbs are not irregular because there is no conjugation whatsoever in Papiamentu and Haitian. "irregular" and "regular" are labels applied to conjugations. A language without conjugations has neither regular verbs nor irregular ones. Jamaican Patois is the same -- tense is dealt with by particles, not conjugations. There are no irregular or regular verbs in Patwa.

As for "pirate", there is no such thing.

The stereotype for the so-called "pirate" is Hampshire English (England's most important ports historically were Portsmouth and Southampton).

Hampshire English maintained a distinction between "be" and "is" longer than most dialects of English (equivalent to ser/estar in Spanish). But both "be" and "is" were irregular when conjugated for tense.

I think you missed the joke, Cainntear.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hnedka
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

5 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English, Spanish

Message 26 of 41
12 March 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
In Czech (my native language), it's highly irregular. In Arabic, on the other hand, it doesn't exist in present tense and is completely regular in past tense (كان).
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 27 of 41
13 March 2011 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
In Slavonic languages and some Finno-Ugric languages it is (ir)regular depending on how you look at it.

The verb "to be" is often interpreted as irregular because of the fact that people usually focus on the present tense conjugation and expect that the conjugated forms should not diverge noticeably or unpredictably from the infinitive.

Czech: být
já jsem, ty jsi, on/ona/ono je, my jsme, vy jste, oni/ony/ona jsou (the stem is descended from an earlier jesti which contributes to the postulation of ancestral *es- "to be")

BCMS/Serbo-Croatian: biti
(je)sam, (je)si, je(st), (je)smo, (je)ste, (je)su (the stem is descended from an earlier jesti which contributes to the postulation of ancestral *es- "to be")

Russian: быть
-, -, есть (rare), -, -, суть (very rare) (the stem is descended from an earlier jesti which contributes to the postulation of ancestral *es- "to be")

(Russian has even dispensed with the conjugated forms in present tense for the 1st and 2nd persons).

Hungarian: lenni
én vagyok, te vagy, ő van, mi vagyunk, ti vagytok, ők vannak (the stem descends from an earlier val which contributes to the postulation of ancestral *wole. Compare this form to the Estonian olema and Finnish olla below)

Estonian: olema
ma olen, sa oled, ta on, me oleme, te olete, nad on

Finnish: olla
minä olen, sinä olet, hän/se on, me olemme, te olette, he/ne ovat

HOWEVER note how the infinitive in the examples above conjugate (relatively) regularly to yield a future tense.

Czech: být
já budu, ty budeš, on/ona/ono bude, my budeme, vy budete, oni/ony/ona budou

BCMS/Serbo-Croatian: biti
ja budem, ti budeš, on/ona/ono bude, mi budemo, vi budete, oni/one/ona budu (to be precise this is used as an auxillary verb in the "second" future tense or future perfect)

я буду, ты будешь, он/она/оно будет, мы будем, вы будете, оны будут

Hungarian: lenni
én leszek, te leszel, ő lesz, mi leszünk, ti lesztek, ők lesznek (this verb conjugates in similar way to the small class of verbs modelled on venni "to buy")

In Estonian and Finnish which are distantly related to Hungarian, there are conjugations of a verb cognate with the Hungarian lenni. In the case of Estonian, there's a link to a verb meaning "to be probably" while in Finnish, it forms the potential mood of olla "to be" (i.e. "I may be...").

Estonian: leema "to become probably"
ma leen, sa leed, ta leeb, me leeme, te leete, nad leevad (i.e. "I/you/etc. probably become")

Finnish: olla
minä lienen, sinä lienet, hän/se lienee, me lienemme, te lienette, he/ne lienevät (i.e. "I/you/etc. may be")
2 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 28 of 41
30 March 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
The verb "to be" is very regular in Chinese. It also have restricted usage, which is
explained below.

The Chinese verb “是” (to be)[this word or character also means "yes"]

Present tense
我是
你是
他/她/它是
我们是
你们/您是
他们/她们/它们是

Past tense
我(以前)是
你(以前)是
他/她/它(以前)是
我们(以前)是
你们/您(以前)是
他们/她们/它们(以前)是

Future tense
我(将)是
你(将)是
他/她/它(将)是
我们(将)是
你们/您(将)是
他们/她们/它们(将)是

Words in brackets indicates temporal expressions which are used to show the tense, when
the context is not clear when the action took place.

Chinese verbs do not have gerunds.

The verb 是 is only used to equate combinations of nouns, noun phrases, and pronouns.
It is not used with adjectives like, "She is warm." Therefore, the verb 是 do not have
imperative forms or participle forms even though other verbs have them.

For example:
停 (to stop)
停!(Stop!)
我被警察停了下来。( I was stopped by the police) [ Even the passive construction is very
different from Indo-European languages!]

Side note: The imperative and participle forms are exactly the same as the infinitive
form. Neat isn't it?
3 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 41
30 March 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

-, -, есть (rare), -, -, суть (very rare) (the stem is descended from an earlier
jesti which contributes to the postulation of ancestral *es- "to be")

(Russian has even dispensed with the conjugated forms in present tense for the 1st and
2nd persons).

Here is the full conjugation of the verb!

The Russian verb “быть”

Conjugation

Present tense:
Я есмь
Ты еси́
Он, она́, оно́ есть
Мы есмы́
Вы есте́
Они́ суть

I doubt many native speakers of Russian actually know this conjugation and I will shock
many of them if I use it the same way as in English.

Past tense:
был
была́
бы́ло
бы́ли

Future tense:
Я бу́ду
Ты бу́дешь
Он, она́, оно́ бу́дет
Мы бу́дем
Вы бу́дете
Оно́ бу́дут

Imperative:
Будь!
Пусть бу́дет!
Бу́дьте!
Пусть бу́дут!

Participles
Present: су́щий
Past: бы́вщий
Future*: бу́дущий

Gerunds
Present: бу́дучи
Past: быв или бы́вши

*быть is the only verb in Russian to have future participle.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Qinshi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5564 days ago

115 posts - 183 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 30 of 41
30 March 2011 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
In Vietnamese, the verb can be used to mean 'to be', however, the actual verb
isn't always required.

eg. Tôi là người nước Úc --> I am Australian. [Used because 'Australian' is a noun]
eg. Cô ấy rất xinh đẹp --> The lady in question is very beautiful. ['xinh đẹp' is an
adjective, therefore là is not used]

It can get a little confusing, but generally speaking the verb là is often not required
or even replaced by another marker.

eg. Tôi đang ở đây --> I am (currently) here. [The word đang means 'current' and acts
like a verb here.

Edited by Qinshi on 30 March 2011 at 5:16pm

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4776 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 31 of 41
01 June 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
In Korean the copula 'i' is regular; I'm not sure if we should classify it as a verb, though. It isn't, according to the dictionary. Then we have the verb 'is' which means to exist, which is regularly conjugated. (Yes we have some conjugation) It is, however, irregular in a way that it acts, or is conjugated as an adjective sometimes and as a verb some other times.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 32 of 41
13 June 2011 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Ojorolla wrote:
In Korean the copula 'i' is regular; I'm not sure if we should classify it as a verb, though. It isn't, according to the dictionary. Then we have the verb 'is' which means to exist, which is regularly conjugated. (Yes we have some conjugation) It is, however, irregular in a way that it acts, or is conjugated as an adjective sometimes and as a verb some other times.

It's a bit irregular:

여자야
the plain form is not made by cutting the 요.
해요 - 해
여자예요 - 여자야

normal verbs change into 대 for quotation .

공부한대

여자이래.

:)

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version