United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6048 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 41
14 March 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
In addition to his multilingual video, I saw his Chinese one. I don't speak the language but I thought his Mandarin sounded really, really good.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 41
14 March 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Or how long he's been learning for.

And the answer is on-and-off for 3 years, including a 3-month stay in Japan.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6112 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 12 of 41
15 March 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
I doubt he does it to impress you.
10 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 41
15 March 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your theory on why people post Youtube videos of themselves speaking various languages. People don't usually post when they are ashamed of what they've achieved.

Edited by Arekkusu on 15 March 2011 at 4:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 41
15 March 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
ChristopherB wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your theory on why people post Youtube videos of themselves
speaking various languages.

In the case of Robert, I believe he said it was to connect with other like-minded people,
and it seems he has been successful, since he has since been chatting with a certain well
known polyglot.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5891 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 15 of 41
15 March 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Splog is right, he says quite clearly that Robert wishes to make contact with other people interested in multiple languages. This is one of the reasons I had for doing a similar thing on the Internet. My own motivations were:

1. To encourage other people learning or wishing to learn multiple foreign languages (as I wrote in the role models thread).
2. To get in contact with other polyglots in a bid to start polyglot-skyping and share experiences.
3. To provide a demonstration of me saying something in a range of languages I speak at different levels. Why? Throughout my life people have asked me to do this in person. It therefore seemed logical that this sort of video would appeal to people wishing to see something that relatively few people in the world do (that is to say, learn multiple languages).   

Doing this for simple praise or to show off would be fairly pointless and shallow. It is, of course, nice to receive the many lovely comments people take their time to send me. I feel truly flattered by those.    

There are also a fair amount of negative criticisms too. Many negative comments are impossible to address. Besides, pleasing everyone is neither a realistic goal nor is it a productive use of one’s time and energy. Some comments require a thick skin and others provide a nice bite of reality to keep one grounded.

Perhaps there are individuals who create multilingual videos to get a short buzz out of the attention from unknown people over the Internet. Personally I cannot relate to that and I am not inclined to comment on such things as it is irrelevant to me.

My own contentment about what I am doing with languages is the most gratifying. Having conversations with speakers of various tongues in their own language is exhilarating for me. There is the thrill of the chase in attaining fluency, using a language with native speakers and expressing thoughts and ideas in that language. That is the reason why point 2 on my list is the main personal buzz and motivation for me too.

10 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 16 of 41
15 March 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
I was interested in the clip where Robert is interpreting into English from German. I thought that interpreters almost always translated into their native tongue. Sometimes you see pictures of heads of states with a single interpreter, but in situations where the issue is simultaneous interpretation, I understood that generally there are at least two: a native speaker for each language.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version