Robert from Austria on YouTube

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5136 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 33 of 41
26 March 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Hallo Rob_Austria,

Vielen Dank fuer die Videos, die Du gemacht hast. Ich habe sie gerade angeschaut und sie haben mir sehr gut gefallen! Ich muss besonders sagen, dass deine chinesische Aussprache echt schoen ist! Wo hast Du so gut Chinesisch gelernt? Wenn ich so viele Sprache wie Du sprechen koennte, wuerde ich mich sehr freuen! :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 34 of 41
27 March 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Robert, j'ai bien aimé ta discussion avec Steve; félicitations!

Merci, Alex, c'est très gentil de ta part.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 35 of 41
27 March 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
noriyuki_nomura wrote:
Hallo Rob_Austria,

Vielen Dank fuer die Videos, die Du gemacht hast. Ich habe sie gerade angeschaut und sie haben mir sehr gut gefallen! Ich muss besonders sagen, dass deine chinesische Aussprache echt schoen ist! Wo hast Du so gut Chinesisch gelernt? Wenn ich so viele Sprache wie Du sprechen koennte, wuerde ich mich sehr freuen! :)

Hallo noriyuki_nomura,

zunächst herzlichen Dank für deine netten Worte. Ich bin wirklich überrascht über die positiven Rückmeldungen zu meinem Chinesisch-Video. Ehrlich gesagt, wollte ich das Video sogar löschen, weil ich befürchtet hatte, dass ich zu viele negative Rückmeldungen wegen meiner Töne bekommen würde ;-)
Ich habe Chinesisch in erster Linie selbst gelernt, das heißt zu Hause in Österreich. Ich war aber auch zwei Monate in Taipei und im vergangenen Jahr einen Monat in Qingdao/China.
Insgesamt lerne ich seit ca. 2 Jahren Chinesisch. Dein Deutsch ist im Übrigen hervorragend. Ich bin ehrlich gesagt erstaunt, wie viele Leute hier im Forum Deutsch sprechen. Natürlich freut es mich auch sehr, dass sich so viele Leute für meine Muttersprache interessieren.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 36 of 41
27 March 2011 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Matt314 wrote:
I liked how you fluctuated from an American sounding accent to and Irish to a British throughout your "My way of learning languages" video

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your comment. In the video you mention my accent really changes a lot, even more than it usually does;-)

As a matter of fact, my English accent is not fixed. Basically, I tend to speak with somewhat of a "North American" accent, but whenever I speak for an extended period of time with my British colleagues or with clients that speak with an accent different from mine, I seem to sort of adopt parts of their accent as well.
I can't really help it, even though it might sound nicer if someone were able to speak with the same accent all the time.
I'm glad, though, that you seemed to even like this fact. I've received a fair amount of criticism from some people because of this supposed "inconsistency", but it never has bothered me or any of my clients. Thanks again for your nice comment.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 37 of 41
31 March 2011 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Robert, if you don't mind, I'd like to sum up what you said in your videos:

Speaking/Listening
-Focus on spoken from the get-go (yet without ignoring the written)
-Tries to talk to people whenever possible (recommends language exchanges if time is shared equally)
-Lots of listening and exposure (recommends radio shows and sitcoms)

Grammar
-Should not focus too much on grammar at the beginning
-Doesn't learn grammar by heart or in depth
-Focuses on basis grammar structures (first learns how to express main tenses)

Vocabulary
-After the basic grammar, learn vocabulary
-Concentrate on basic vocab

Reading
-Magazines as easy to read
-Has copied books by hand to learn spelling
-Translations tend to be a simpler read

General
-Don`t worry about imperfections; mistakes need to come out to be corrected.
-Get a good dictionary (with example sentences)
-It’s not productive to study when you can't concentrate
-Passion is key to success
6 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 38 of 41
31 March 2011 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Hello Alex,

Of course, I don't mind. Quite on the contrary, thanks for putting my thoughts in a more concise form. I appreciate your effort. And, yes, you got it all right, I mean what you wrote is exactly what I tried to say in my videos.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4787 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 41
31 March 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Hello Rob!
Thanks for your videos. I think your achievements are amazing, and should inspire and encourage more people to learn foreign languages ;-)
Greetings,
Mae

Edited by Mae on 31 March 2011 at 6:58pm

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 40 of 41
09 July 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:

As a matter of fact, my English accent is not fixed. Basically, I tend to speak with somewhat of a "North American" accent,

Hi Rob! I was just listening to your episode of the polyglot project, and I thought your English was impeccable. There was only one mistake I heard, but that was because I was listening for it. You know... with a higher level of skill, one uses a more exacting standard.

Anyway, I was often amused while listening to you speak because you sounded Canadian to me (particularly from Ontario). Did you or one of your important teachers spend time in Canada for you to pick up those regional sounds?

Also, I listened to your 5 languages video and I greatly enjoyed the Spanish presentation on it because the German one before it seemed so fast! Lovely, but fast.

Because I am newly learning Japanese, I look forward to listening to the video other people mentioned you've done with that language.

Vielen dank! :)

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version