United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 25 of 41
17 March 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, Robert! I was very impressed with your command of languages, and have the greatest admiration for anyone working in the demanding area of simultaneous interpretation.

I look forward to more of your videos, and would be particularly interested in learning how you approach intonation and prosody, as well as hearing about your experiences so far in studying Russian.

Edited by Teango on 25 March 2011 at 12:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

RogerK
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4871 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 26 of 41
17 March 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi Robert,

I liked your video 'Polyglot Speaking In Five Languages', congratulations on your ability as an interpreter. I hope you hang around the forum a little, it would be nice to pick up a few tips.

Servus Robert,

Ihr Video 'Polyglot Speaking In Five Languages' hat mir sehr gut gefallen, gratuliere an Ihre Talente als Dolmetscher. Ich hoffe, dass Sie hier im Forum etwas Zeit verbringen werden, es wäre schön ein paar Tips zu bekommen.

Grüße aus Vorarlberg

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4877 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 27 of 41
18 March 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Even though I work as an interpreter I'm by no means perfect in any language
that I speak. I'm still a learner and I will remain one for the rest of my life. Once we
have realized that mistakes are not a sign of failure but a source of improvement, the
entire process of learning becomes much more pleasant. Just as criticism can be very
beneficial, as long as it is constructive and not ill-intentioned.

I really liked this description. It seems that he's a humble and wise man.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 28 of 41
18 March 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
It's funny how almost any discussion of a YouTube polyglot seems to involve speculation
as to his motive for posting the videos. Personally, I don't care much if someone is
showing off, trying to get famous, desperately seeking the love and approval his father
never gave him, etc. His skills will speak for themselves, and if I judge that his
achievements are worthy of admiration, than I will feel happy for him, inspired to
match him, and grateful for whatever I can learn from him.

Aside from the fact that Robert's English seems to be nearly native-level, he can
interpret in 5 languages, even sometimes between non-native languages. I greatly admire
anyone who can interpret between their mother tongue and ANY language, so Robert's
ability is almost beyond imagination for me. His Japanese is still improving, but as
long as he's honest about his level, I think it's much more admirable to have posted it
and opened himself to criticism than not to have posted it at all because it's not
perfect yet.

So Robert, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for languages with the world, and thanks
for introducing him to us, Torbyrne :) If I could give one piece of non language-
related advice, it would be to try to speak more concisely. I think you tended to
"over-explain" at times (like I'm one to talk), with unnecessary repititions which made
the videos longer and harder to watch through than they needed to be. Best wishes, and
keep at it!

Thank you for your nice comment. I'll try to be more concise, even though I can't promise that I'll manage to do so. I got some valuable input as to my pitches when speaking Japanese, so I hope I'll be able to make some progress in that area as well.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 29 of 41
18 March 2011 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
Even though I work as an interpreter I'm by no means perfect in any language
that I speak. I'm still a learner and I will remain one for the rest of my life. Once we
have realized that mistakes are not a sign of failure but a source of improvement, the
entire process of learning becomes much more pleasant. Just as criticism can be very
beneficial, as long as it is constructive and not ill-intentioned.

I really liked this description. It seems that he's a humble and wise man.

Hello Matheus,

Thanks for your comment. Well, I'm not so sure about the "wise" even though I find your words very flattering. As for my language abilities, I try to be realistic without losing the desire to improve. The bottom line though is to enjoy what you are doing and I very much love my job.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4798 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 

Message 30 of 41
18 March 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
RogerK wrote:
Hi Robert,

I liked your video 'Polyglot Speaking In Five Languages', congratulations on your ability as an interpreter. I hope you hang around the forum a little, it would be nice to pick up a few tips.

Servus Robert,

Ihr Video 'Polyglot Speaking In Five Languages' hat mir sehr gut gefallen, gratuliere an Ihre Talente als Dolmetscher. Ich hoffe, dass Sie hier im Forum etwas Zeit verbringen werden, es wäre schön ein paar Tips zu bekommen.

Grüße aus Vorarlberg

Hallo und liebe Grüße ins Ländle ;-),

es freut mich, dass dir meine Videos gefallen. Ich hoffe, du hast nichts dagegen, wenn wir uns duzen. Ich werde versuchen, in meinen Videos über meine Arbeit und meine Art, Sprachen zu lernen, zu sprechen. Wenn du spezielle Fragen hast, kannst du mir gerne über meine youtube-Site oder über dieses Forum eine PM senden.

Grüße aus der Südsteiermark

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 31 of 41
24 March 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Robert, j'ai bien aimé ta discussion avec Steve; félicitations!

Matt314
United States
musicartplus.blogspo
Joined 4790 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 32 of 41
26 March 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I liked how you fluctuated from an American sounding accent to and Irish to a British throughout your "My way of learning languages" video

Edited by Matt314 on 26 March 2011 at 4:42pm

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version