Super polyglot congress?

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4784 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 17 of 53
27 March 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
oh, thank goodness!
i myself found weird the super hyper polyglot thing, but i used it trying to adapt to what seemed normal on this forum.
i myself would rather make a difference between people who are bi-, tri-, tetraglots or whatever, by birth and environment and the ones that are polyglots after studying in a monolingual setting, like most of us.
the stress is to be put on the intellectual adventure of learning languages.
anyhow, it would be nice to meet people with whom i can be myself, who accept as normal my "weirdness" a passion for multilingual culture activity.

after reflecting on it: i should find someone who is able to inherit my library and read it the day i am gone. for that is needed a superpolyglot. or rather i should found a kind of polyglot college who may profit from my library in the future...
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 53
27 March 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I read that some forum members visited the Expolingua and met up there. What a nice idea! For me Berlin is out of reach - I live close to Düsseldorf/Cologne and have no money for travelling long distances.

I have a similar experience that I am seen as "weird" because I am (already for many years) so focused on languages. This is typical polyglot situation that you are an exception and people generally don't understand you, if you study languages for your own pleasure independent of job necessities or school requirements. I myself have experienced this in my own family(!) and I get my recognition late there. I think it's easier, if there are already some multilingual relatives.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 27 March 2011 at 9:49pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 19 of 53
27 March 2011 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
How'bout Duisburg or Essen? I will be there for a few days next month, visiting family.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 53
27 March 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
How'bout Duisburg or Essen? I will be there for a few days next month, visiting family.

That is much more realistic, Duisburg would suit me fine. I am a fluent Esperanto speaker and you could as well talk some other languages with me. My suggestion is that you PM me, Sprachprofi, and we could arrange a meeting in Duisburg.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 27 March 2011 at 10:18pm

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4797 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 21 of 53
28 March 2011 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
hi, artemidora,

It is quite interesting that you mastered ancient Greek and have read Plotinus and Plato in original versions.

It has been quite a while since my school days, so my memory is not clear, but I think I must have taken about 4 to 6 courses in classic Greek. I remember trying to come to grips with it so as to not do the parsing and analysis of it all the time, but to make it a living language for me in which I could carry on a conversation and even think, putting down paragraphs on hundreds of flash cards and memorizing them as a whole, reciting them out loud. I, however, never succeeded in mastering it. I commend you highly for your proficiency in classic Greek, being able to read original texts in it. It is indeed quite an achievement.

I remember being fascinated by Plato and reading all of his works(in English versions). Plato was someone who had influenced me decisively in laying the foundation of my intellectual development. Reading of Plutonius had helped me a lot in understanding the Augustinian trinitarian tradition and Western mysticism both religious and pagan. Though later I had moved away from Platonism and neo-Platonism through Hume and Kant(epistemology), Hegel(ontology) and Eastern traditions(wholistic approach), I have maintained a great respect for those thinkers of classical age to this day.

As for Congress of polyglots, let me just say that I think that there will be more and more of convergence in this area, even as this site is one growing phenomenon of it. That you are having a great enthusiasm for and suggesting such a Delphic idea is something that foretells of things to come. I am a visionary of the 'future' even as my nickname implies:), and I say that such gatherings will be realized soon.

Edited by futurianus on 28 March 2011 at 3:29am

artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4784 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 22 of 53
28 March 2011 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
radiant, brilliant, Delphic Futurianus, i am so glad to meet you. i will go and read all your posts. may i encourage you to study more egyptian, it's worth every effort.

Fasulye, you say you live near Köln. i visit very frecuently the Eiffel area and the Mosel river. maybe one day we organise some great event in or near your town. may i encourage you to keep on studying in spite of anything.

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4934 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 23 of 53
30 March 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Hi, Mrs. Artemidora

Being you a writer, I would like to ask: Why don´t you write a book involving languages?
At by novel: "John and the Devil", I put quotes in whatever languages I know.

I hope to be been useful.

artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4784 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes

Message 24 of 53
31 March 2011 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Gorgoll, would you mind saying all this again in Portuguese? I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
Obrigadinha.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version