Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 17 of 46
25 May 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I think it's about time for an update! Since I have mostly been preparing for my translation exam up until last Friday, I didn't get that much done for OCS. Now that horrible monster is over and done with (with far too many mistakes, I can forget any dreams of an A). My literature essay and my grammar essay are also finished, so I only have to finish one more essay and prepare for my Slavic language history exam on the sixth of June. This is however a bit difficult since I am now working full time at the tourist information, which is very tiring since you talk to people nonstop all day. And in Norway you don't get a lot of breaks at work, meaning there is no time to drink coffee!

However, I have been going through more of Vlasto's chapters on OCS/East Slav grammar, and I have been reviewing my notes. I'm also rereading the parts I have read from Паннонские жития, and today I managed to find the text (albeit in another version) in parallel Old slav/Russian. There are some things in it that just don't match up with OCS grammar, so I thought it would be easier to just check the translation.

The most interesting thing that happened lately is that yesterday my grammar teacher asked me if I wanted to participate in a OCS project at the University this summer, working with Codex Suprasliensis and the University OCS Corpus. I even get a small amount of money to do it, which is craaazy. I'm going to start with that of the 7th of June.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5199 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 18 of 46
27 May 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Helló Tricoteuse !

Thanks to your log (or more your blog) I've restarted to read thing in Hungarian :). I've read your blog a long time ago and then today. It's still amazing how you read all this books. Wanted to thank you for re-motivating me :).

Köszi !!

Zosia

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 19 of 46
29 May 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kisfroccs! And thank you :) Ahh, I wish I could rekindle my interest for Hungarian as well... And I don't read that many books at the moment, unfortunately. Somehow I ran out of time!

---

More preparing for exams... ;) I kind of had to abandon that idea about learning more about participles later completely. I have actually read about them in three separate sources now, and I think things may finally be sinking in. The differences aren't all that great really, they are generally quite easy to recognize, but the multiple short forms are confusing. Most of the time they make me think about adverbs or gerunds. And the fact that feminine active present participles look like what I would expect the masculine ones to look like doesn't help either. The masculine -y and -ja are odd. My OCS book gives the forms -š't'ij for masculine... something that I don't understand at all, since I can't find his form anywhere else.

I had kind of forgotten about the book Древнерусский язык (by Remneva) that I found. After having read some chapters in it, I realized it's actually very good. It provides etymology for almost everything, which is very useful for me right now. The chapter on participles was very good.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 20 of 46
29 June 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Kind of forgot I had this log... >_>

Exams went exceedingly well. I got the only A in my OCS class ;) (I should perhaps mention that we were a total of 6 who took the exam?)

Well, I'm working with my sentences from the Bible and soon also from Codex Supraliensis or Супральская рукопись. The big problem is that we can't find any Russian translation of the text (the vita of Paul and Juliana). Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't know Ancient Greek (cause there is one in Greek) so it's mainly just a problem for me. Argh. In my great despair I wanted to check if I could perhaps... take Ancient Greek this fall. But no, of course not, it's taught in the spring.

Anyway, I have two Russian friends that are prepared to take stuff out of their great country and into my new one. One is bringing a OCS dictionary, the other a grammar book. I just don't know which one, I told her to get whatever she could find, and I'm hoping she'll find... something.

+ Reading some Codex Supraliensis unrelated to my Uni-business.

Too bad I recently got hooked on a fantasy series so now I can't stop reading (in English) and I don't get much done.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 21 of 46
07 August 2011 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
I can't really update anything very different from my last update. Working at the Uni project - but that's it. I have no energy left to read unrelated texts on my own. What I feel annoys me most is irregular (for me) case use in OCS that makes me confused about what sentences mean and short form participles that fool me into taking them for nouns...

I started another project, though - Ukrainian. I should probably have signed up for the 6wk challenge for it, but at the same time I can't really make any commitments over that long times right now. I found myself a Ukrainian for Russians kind of book from like the 19th century (well, not really...) and a Basic Ukrainian book. I think I'll go with the one intended for Russians - and read articles online. It's really fun, I just need some audio input as well. Any Ukrainians here who are not afraid of their own voices and who could record an article for me? ;)

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 22 of 46
15 September 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
The new semester has started and it is very intense. I really hope I'm not wasting my time on something I really don't like all that much and that I learn to read Russian linguistic texts with something that can be compared to efficiency. Right now it's nothing but slow. I'm enjoying my old church Slavonic class though, and next week I'm going to start working with Codex Supraliensis in yet another way with my teacher. We are going to annotate it for information structure (I'm not really sure how this will be done yet) and right now it looks like it will be within this field that I will write my master's thesis. It's very interesting, but I'm worried I won't be able to spend as much time on these things it as I would like.

Last week I was in Kiev. I absolutely loved it, it felt like being in Russia and when I'm in Russia I relax. I never relax here. Needless to say, I just want to go back. I brought a significant part of the country back with me though, in the form of books (and motivation to learn more Ukrainian). On my blog I have posted some photos of Kiev and the OCS books I got, and some other things. I really wish I could spend all my time on these things and not 75% of it on grammar...

However, as far as OCS progress is concerned, I do feel like I am getting better at it. Our professor constantly has us memorizing different noun stems and patterns, which is good! And now I have to work on Codex Supraliensis.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 23 of 46
26 September 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
And raawwwr, I am so in love with my new OCS grammar book, Старославянский язык by Хабургаев. It's marvellous. I just wish I could get a new copy of it that I could actually underline and take notes in. The copy I got in Kiev is lovely (from 74), but it crackles when I open it, the pages are very thin and taking notes in it feels like blasphemy. My OCS professor has recommended some books to us - all German. He never mentions ANY Russian books. He has mentioned, but kind of un-recommended, Horace Lunt, whose grammar is very... non-user friendly, and more or less just a long list of forms and their origins. I like it sometimes though, it's very hardcore and extreeeemely detailed. And German grammars? Don't feel that I'm quite there yet...

Currently reading Codex Marianus, which is way easier than the Pannonic Legends snippet we previously dealt with. We will be finishing the class off with Codex Supraliensis - the text I work with at UiO! Speaking of which, tomorrow I'm meeting my master's thesis advisor to talk about CS and information structure, since we are now going to start annotating the text not just syntactically and morphologically, but also with regards to information structure. Instead of being stressed out about more work I'm now happy about it, since my boss at my other job overheard how busy I am and just took me off the working list for this week saying "well, we don't really need to be that many here anyway!".

I find it quite intriguing that my old Norse class poses more problems for me than OCS. Reading old Norse texts is... difficult. OCS is actually somewhat easier! Who would have thought. But then old Norse is a mess compared to OCS - both grammatically and when it comes to word order (what were they thinking?!).

And Ukrainian! I got myself a Lingvo dictionary on my iPod touch and now immediately feel much more serious about it. Also wrote two tiny lang-8 posts in Ukrainian. My tandem partner has been busy though, so I haven't seen her in over a week.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 24 of 46
08 October 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
No one has corrected my latest Ukrainian post at lang-8, so if any Ukrainians read this, you know what to do!

I feel that Ukrainian is moving along quite nicely, just writing in the language helps me a lot. Tomorrow I have another meeting with Katja and she will correct a text I wrote about Ukrainian music (she gave me some which was really good).

Sadly, I feel I never have enough time to do the kind of extra work I want to do for OCS. I have the time to go through the text we will read in class, but that's more or less it. I will try to find some time this evening or tomorrow though, to go through the imperfect tense, practice noun stems (o, jo, short i, short u, a, ja so far) and try to solve some problems we had with next weeks text.

Something that annoys me with both OCS and Old Norse is the tendency to never put 3p sg personal pronouns together with the other pronouns, since they are originally demonstratives. Not very practical. And is there a link between OCS онъ (тот далёкинй), вънъ/вонъ and Ukrainian воні/вона/воно/вони? Probably not, the v in the pronoun is most likely just prothetic v.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version