46 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 25 of 46
08 October 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Конечно, она и вона - одно и то же слово. Начальное "в" часто появляется в украинских
словах: русское "ухо" и украинское "вухо".
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 26 of 46
08 October 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Да, конечно, но это был не совсем мой вопрос ;P Вопрос не касается он-воні, а вънъ-воні, а если вы читали бы дальше, увидели бы, что и я упоминаю протезу. Итак, это вообще не вопрос для читателей. Но если у вас есть какая-нибудь интересная информация о протезе, что-нибудь дополнительное, то расскажите нам об этом!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 27 of 46
08 October 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Ладно, теперь дошло. То есть если "в" в украинском появилось потом, то её не могло быть в
церковно-славянском. Да, вы могли бы отвечать на мои вопросы, а не я - на ваши. Приглашаю
вас на Лингвофорум. Там вы сможете найти ответы на
любые вопросы, помочь другим и просто пообщаться.

Edited by Марк on 08 October 2011 at 7:57pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 28 of 46
31 October 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link Mark!

I'm horrible at speaking Ukrainian, something that was confirmed yesterday when I met Katja. Buuuut, I guess I'm learning. I'm starting a new reading project that I explained on my blog and I'm sooo excited about it. Of course Ukrainian is just a small part of it, but I still think it will be very useful :)

We are moving to a new apartment so even though I have more free time right now, all that time is eaten up by packing things into boxes and trying to find things I shouldn't have packed away already. OCS suffers from this. Tomorrow I have a meeting with my... hmm... what's the person who helps you with your master's thesis called? Well, I'm meeting her to discuss our second batch of information status analysis of Paul the Simple. The first batch was rather straight forward, but in the second we had lots of abstract concepts and pronouns, so it may end up being a bit messy. Also, I have to find a book that seems to be... impossible to find (Michael Fliers Aspects of Nominal Determination in Old Church Slavic). If anyone knows of some antique book shop networks where one can search for such obsolete things, please tell me.

I can also mention that we had a surprise test the other week in OCS class. It went horribly poorly. We were asked to decline two nouns and their accompanying adjectives completely (o-stem = ok, jo-stem = not so ok), two verbs, the pronoun j'ze and do translitteration of a text. Translitteration = very much ok. The rest = somewhat embarrassing.

Edited by tricoteuse on 31 October 2011 at 12:49pm

surkova
Diglot
Russian Federation
surkova.net
Joined 5382 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 29 of 46
31 October 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
handledare is called a supervisor :)

try libraries in Oslo? http://ask.bibsys.no/ask/action/show?pid=920778364&kid=bibli o

Edited by surkova on 31 October 2011 at 12:30pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 30 of 46
15 January 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Well! Last years class went well, Christmas Holiday is over and I think I may finally be able to concentrate again. This semester I have one class in Old Russian. I have no idea what the class will be like, since the material is handed out during class. I think we may be like 2 people taking the class. I am doing lots of OCS related stuff though. I'm now helping annotate Житие и страдание святого мученика Конона Исаврийского, which is a more difficult text than the previous ones. I'm annotating from the beginning, which may not be helping. These texts are bastards in the beginning. I'm trying to annotate one hour a day, in the morning, since this actually pays, and I don't have the time to go back to my part-time job this semester.

Other things for this semester is starting my master's thesis (scary!), even though I'm not supposed to do so until August. I've read one book for it so far, but the title/problem of the work isn't fully defined yet. I will meet with my supervisor (thanks Vera, I keep forgetting that word) next Monday to make it final. I'm 10% into Definiteness by Christopher Lyons, since that is the theme (or non-theme) of the work. No idea how long it will take me to read that book, but probably forever + a little longer.

My first ancient Greek lesson is tomorrow. I'm actually not registered for it yet, which is terrifying, since I MUST take this class now (personal reasons), and Norway seems to be way more stuck up about deadlines than Sweden. No problem signing up for a class a month after the deadline in Sweden, especially if it's not very popular, but I've got a feeling someone here may go "oh well, now, see, that won't be possible...". It's not my fault though. The person responsible for my program told me to sign up for the class on January the 13th after 9AM. And then it wasn't possible, seems the deadline was January THIRD. I'm hoping she will fix things. Tomorrow.

Regarding Greek: We're using the Reading Greek books. I've been slowly working with the first chapter, reading the first four texts and adding 200 or so cards to ANKI. The book has vocabularies for each text, often repeating the same word many times, which is nice enough, but they provide it in different cases without stating which case it is. And I've done three units of grammar without encountering noun declensions. Hello? I wish they could just demand that people studying freaking Ancient Greek know basic grammar and don't go about explaining what mood is, what voice is, etc. Throwing in acc., gen., nom., etc. wouldn't hurt either. I've already been able to use my tiny Greek knowledge to check things twice for Житие и страдание святого мученика Конона Исаврийского, for which there is no exact Russian translation. I do have the bilingual OCS-Ancient Greek ;)

And Ukrainian... (this log ends up being about everything). SLOW non-existing progress, but I'm not giving up. My tandem partner came back from the Ukraine, and was actually here today for our second meeting. I badly need to learn more basic vocab. She gave me a book(nothing makes me happier) that I've started to read. Somewhat difficult, but very modern language and it is a very popular book. (Btw, everyone who reads books should sign up on Goodreads and add me, I desperately want to have more friends there since seeing what other people read inspires me to read more!)

Russian! I'm starting a new ANKI deck. I need to work on my Russian. I do.

Edited by tricoteuse on 15 January 2012 at 6:36pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 31 of 46
20 January 2012 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Well, slight change of plans. The University put my Variants of Russian exam on the same day as my second Greek exam, so I have to drop the Russian class this semester. The teacher wouldn't agree to an oral exam, which could have fixed things, so instead I have to rearrange everything and finish my Master's thesis one semester in advance. I just love how flexible Universities are, and how they struggle to help their students.

I am very happy with my Greek class. We are progressing much faster than we did when I started Russian, and every lesson you have to participate and read, answer questions, form words, etc. It's really good. There are, unfortunately, some annoying people in the class who have to question everything and argue on grammar definitions with the teacher since they obviously think they know something about it. I, for a fact, know that they are more or less clueless, but I haven't bitten anyone's head of yet.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 32 of 46
01 February 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I would like to include Ancient Greek in the title of my log, but I don't seem to be able to... or what am I missing here? Help!

Well - things continue! Ancient Greek class is really good (and with mixed emotion I hear that the Russian class is now similar - lots of participation from students - and I feel somewhat cheated out). People usually say that you can learn so much faster out of a classroom, but when it comes to this class, I'm not sure. I don't think I would have gotten this far in this short amount of time without 8hrs of lessons every week. So far, we've gone through active ω-verbs and its vowel contract variants (έ-ω, ό-ω, ά-ω) and medium ομαι-verbs with vowel contract variants (only present tense indicative and imperative). As for nouns, we've done 1st and 2nd declination (βοή, θάλαττα, ἀπορία, ναύτης, νεανίας and ἄνθροπος, ἔργον) and for adjectives we've done καλός, ἡμέτερος. The possessive constructions are fascinating, as well as the free word order, which is proving surprising even for me, who has some experience with such things. I have always thought OCS word order in the chronicles is odd, but my supervisor just says "oh, it's more or less like Russian, I'd say". I'm not convinced, and I blame the Greeks.

So, Old Russian class! Well, more or less the same thing as last semester: text reading, only not Southern Slavic texts, but Eastern. I didn't note down what text to read last time, so I read the wrong one for today's class. We were supposed to start "Volodimir chooses religion", whereas "Olga's revenge" was what I read. "Volodimir chooses religion" is amusing though, and contains some apparently famous quotes such as "rusi jestь veselьe pitьe ne mozhemъ bez togo byti" (For Russians, drinking is fun, without it we cannot exist). Also, the idea of 70 women in heaven in Islam appeals to Volodimir (who "is a lover of women and lots of adultery"), but he doesn't really want to put up with the circumcision...

Also, Bulgarian is making shameless attempts at seducing me.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version