Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 33 of 46
07 February 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I don't really feel like I am studying OCS anymore. I haven't really gotten started with my Master's thesis yet, I'm only halfway through the damned Definiteness book that takes FOREVER to read, and I've kind of put off doing anything until I have finished it. The plan is to be able to write something general about definiteness, and know what I mean by the different terms definite, indefinite, generic, specific, unspecific, etc, before I start examining the material from the OCS corpus. I can't really continue with this yet either, because my supervisor is extracting a better data set for me to work with, which will include more parameters than the first one she made (which had no way of separately extracting adjectives and participles based on number, which could possibly be interesting).

I've got my third Old Russian class tomorrow, so I have read 4 pages of the text we're working with (we typically read 1,5 pages in 2 hours in class), and even though these texts are supposed to be easier than Codex Suprasliensis, Savvina Kniga, etc, I don't think they are. There are several forms that I am stuck on. Partly, I fear, because I don't know all the paradigms and "formulas" for forming different participles and tenses by heart. I do feel like I should be able to reconstruct приемъ from прияти (but I can't figure it out! It should be the infinitive stem ja-, but obviously the present stem im- is out and about here, with -us>-ъ as an addition), and wtf is рекъ? I should know. I think. Past participle? :S <-- OK, that's what it is. What good some little inner monologuing can do.

Participles! Apparently, Greek has 4, with active and passive variants for each? How exciting! I've only tried to memorize the present active one from ἐιμί. I have probably mentioned previously that hagiographic texts are ALL about participles, so it's crucial that I can actually spot them. I've got this little hope that they will be more easily recognizable in Greek than in OCS. Many things seem much more clear in Greek. You see the form, go ah! dative plural! Whereas with OCS you see a form, go "wait. verb? hm. noun? article??"

Well, I have some serious work to do with Greek. 3rd declension now, and adjectives and pronouns such as "all", "many", "this", "that", etc. I've got some memorizing to do.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 34 of 46
14 February 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
How do other people find the time to both be a student, and to do other things as well? I am drowning under declension patterns and texts! I haven't found the time to do any annotating lately, which is sad, because I really want to help add more Codex Suprasliensis to the corpus. I would sit down and do it right now, but tomorrow I have a meeting with my supervisor (who's also the person in charge of OCS annotating) and I should have done something for my master's thesis (luckily, I have, kind of) and during tomorrow's Greek class we will do exercises with 3rd declension nouns, the present participle of εἰμί, 3rd decl. type adjectives and some more stuff that I need to learn by heart now. 8 pages of grammar in total. I had better get started.

I have been thinking about creating a new OCS (or Old Russian) Anki deck, but decided against it. My Greek one is growing out of proportion (777) with over 150 reps per day and 30 new ones daily, and I have my UK (1008) and RU (548) ones as well, that are more stable. I guess I will have to be old fashioned and write it down in a book, but since when has that ever been efficient?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 35 of 46
05 March 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
This is a busy week! On Thursday, we have a qualificatory Greek test (the kind you have to pass to be allowed to take the final exam) and the last things we added last week were the imperfect and the future tense. I've been struggling with keeping the endings apart all weekend, and now we continue this week with two types of aorist. I still have to read another text for tomorrow and I'm exhausted! I also have to go through a sample session of R for a class on R I'm attending tomorrow, and most likely squeeze in another page of Boris & Gleb in Old Russian. Those people who think being a student is easy should try my classes :/

Currently, I'm being quite annoyed with Greek Word Study Tool which refuses to acknowledge some of the imperfects I try to create. I don't have the key for Reading Greek, which sucks, so I have to spend quite some time finding out if my answers to the exercises are actually correct. I've also been using the Eton College online exercises, but for some reason the verb exercise only includes five verbs...

I'm standing still with my Ukrainian book, even though it is very interesting right now. During my meetings with Katja I have been speaking quite a bit though, and I've added new words from our meetings to Anki.

For Russian I started reading Idiot. I find it surprisingly easy to read, much easier than Kuprin, and I don't really have to bother with a dictionary unless I really want to. I just never find the time to read it.

ANKI decks update:
Greek: 1100
Uk: 1148
Ru: 772
Est: 368 (Going to Estonia in a month :P)

Edited by tricoteuse on 05 March 2012 at 5:26pm

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4771 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 36 of 46
05 March 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Ah, The Idiot? A great book =) I actually liked that far more than his others.
And about being a student and having time? It's about priorities! Mark down what you need to do, what you want to
do and then act accordingly!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 37 of 46
06 March 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
My problem most of the time is that I don't have a sufficient amount of time to cover the "need to do" category :/

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 38 of 46
11 March 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, our test was quite difficult! I wonder how low the teacher has to put the pass-limit in order to still have a class of students?

Oh Greek, oh Greek. All these forms. Driving me mad. Still, I do like it. I just wish that at the end of this, there was some nice rewarding literature there waiting for me, but I have never read anything classic that I actually enjoyed so far, so unfortunately, I don't think there is. And I hate reading things in verse. I guess I'll just have to keep at it for the cool-points it generates?

The exercises in the revisions are getting difficult now. I especially appreciate having to translate "I noticed that you were a bumpkin" when we have only learned "to escape the notice of someone" and not actually "to notice". Also great that I have no key.

I shall return to my aorists, and to the first eng-greek text to translate. This is scary stuff. Meanwhile, Boris and Gleb is getting boring and I wish we could just do anything (whatever really) other than read texts about holy men in class.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 39 of 46
12 March 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I was reminded of the importance of writing in your TL. I was writing an email in Ukrainian and I can safely say that a letter of 190 words took me 45 minutes to write. In Russian it would take me 5 minutes. That does give some pointers towards how easy going from one to the other is :P

I should remember to write more often.

As I mentioned, for the first time in our Greek book there was a translation from English to Greek (other than just single sentences). I thought I'd publish the results here. I don't have the key, so this may be quite miserable reading, and if there are any ancient Greeks out there who feel an itch upon reading this, be free to come with suggestions of improvements... I'm not sure we've learned how to say "his" yet, I can only remember mine, yours and ours, so I just used the definite article since that seems to be what the Greek text uses for a lot of family relations.      

"An old man and his son, a young man, were talking about money. The youngster, as it happened, owed a lot of money. And because of this, his creditors would not stop pursuing his father. The father did not punish the son (for his mother stopped him), but conceived a clever plan. So when the father managed to persuade his son, the boy went obediently to the sophists and learnt a great deal. The sophists always persuaded him, taught a lot of clever stuff and received a lot of money. So the son learned quickly the just and unjust arguments, always winning his case. But when the youth came home, his plan did not put a stop to his father debts. The young man did not like his father (who was a yokel), but hated him. So we never stop mocking him. Finally, the old man threw him out."

γέρων τις καὶ ὁ ὑιὸς νεανὶας ὤν διελέγοντο περὶ τὰ χρήματα. ὁ δὲ νεανὶας ἔτυχε ὀφείλων πολλὰ χρήματα. καὶ οὖν διὰ τοῦτο οἱ χρήσται οὐ ἐπαὺοντο διώκουσι τὸν πατέρα. ὁ μὲν πατὴρ οὐ ἐκόλασε τὸν υἱόν, ἡ δὲ ματὴρ γὰρ ἔπαυσε τοῦτον. ἀλλὰ διενοήσατο γνώμην τινὰ σοφήν. ὅτε οὖν ὁ πατὴρ ἔπεισε τὸν υἱόν, ὁ δὲ παῖς πειθόμενος ἤλθε εἰς τοὺς σοφιστὰς καὶ πολλὰ ἔμαθε (ἐμάνθανε). οἱ σοφισταὶ ἀεὶ ἔπειθον τοῦτον, πολλὰ σοφὰ ἐδίδασκον καὶ ἐδέχοντο πολλὰ χρήματα. ὁ οὖν υἱὸς ταχέως ἔμαθε τὸν δίκαιον λόγον καὶ τὸν ἄδικον λόγον, ἀεὶ νικῶν τὴν δικὴν, ἀλλ’ὅτε ὁ νεανὶας οἴκαδε ἤλθε αὕτη ἡ γνὼμη οὐ ἔπαυσε τὰ χρέα τοῦ πατρός. ὁ δὲ νεανίας οὐ ἐφίλει τὸν πατὴρ ἄγροικον ὄντα ἀλλ’ ἐμὶσει τοῦτον. οὖν οὐδεποτε ἔπαυσε παίζων πρὸς αὐτόν. τέλος δὲ ὁ γέρων ἐδίωξε τὸν νεανίαν.

Edited by tricoteuse on 12 March 2012 at 6:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6468 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 40 of 46
12 April 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since I posted! We had Easter holidays here. I love holidays, since that is usually the only time you don't get anything new to do and you have some time to catch up with coursework. All the classes at University have midterm papers, except my Greek class, which is as a matter of fact two classes put together. And instead of a midterm paper, we had our exam, meaning that I only have one midterm paper this semester, and it won't be handed out until next week! So for the first half all my Easter holiday I tried to catch up with the Greek class, and then I went to Tallinn with a friend. Despite the weather, it was a nice trip :) When I got home, since I thought I was up to date with my class, I spent my last day of freedom reading 25 pages of Ukrainian (my record in one sitting so far) and planting and replanting plants. Then for my first Greek class, I mixed up the times and decided to stay at home and work instead. So we got a letter from the teacher (which makes me think no one actually went to the class) saying we should be on text 9G and H the next day. Usually she never sends any e-mails, so no one knows where we are supposed to be. My problem was that with my calculations, we should be at 9 B-C! So I had to skip another class in order to catch up, and today I'm going, hoping we are not at 10F all of a sudden. If Greek was my only class, I would be very happy with the intense tempo, since it actually means you progress very quickly, but since I also have another class and am writing my master's thesis, I'm not very happy with it. There are so many new grammatical things every time that I find it's actually impossible to learn them properly. Now we have started with aorist infinitives (and I think this next text includes future infinitives), aorist imperatives and imperatives for both 2th and 3rd persons, and optatives. I feel that I still need more time to fully grasp the aspectual issues of present participles and aorist participles! The cases are also getting more attention now, and we've done genitive and dative. And people think that Russian has lots of grammar. Bah.

Since the classes bore me so much and kind of feel like a waste of time, I finally caved in and bought the Reading Greek series independent study guide with keys to all the exercises and translations of all the texts. Now that it's on its way, I can't understand why I didn't do it earlier.

Edited by tricoteuse on 12 April 2012 at 10:58am

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version