youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5277 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 41 of 43
16 July 2015 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Honden houden niet van hoeden

1e4e6: soy de Belgrano. En San Francisco vivo en el Outer Richmond, a la altura de la avenida 40, a unas ocho cuadras de la playa.

Peter: to be honest, I just love the sound of the language, and otherwise find it fascinating throughout. I like the proverbs, I like the sound of it, I like learning a second Germanic language, I like how it's Germanic and yet sometimes it has this intriguing romance whiff to it. I already know two "marketable" languages (Spanish and English), now I'm focusing on pure enjoyment as far as language learning is concerned. Funnily enough, I first heard the language spoken from a fluent non-native (Adam Curry).

Iedereen zegt "maar men spreekt Nederlands alleen in een erg klein land!". Ik zeg "eigenlijk, spreekt men Nederlands in vele kleine landen".
1 person has voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5277 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 

Message 42 of 43
21 July 2015 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Dogs don't like hats
Honden houden niet van hoeden
Hundar tycker inte om hattar
Ai cani non piacciono i cappelli
A los perros no les gustan los sombreros

Quick question: can you use je as the unstressed possessive of jullie?

I've been using duolingo for Dutch during the day and for some light Swedish last thing at night. Occassionally I consult my Dutch grammar. I tried duolingo because I liked the interface and figured I could use all the vocabulary acquisition I can get. Interestingly enough it's proving pretty good at reinforcing / building simple grammar patterns too, what with the built-in repetition and "gameification" - it's pretty addictive. It does suffer from a severe dearth of colloquial/conversational content, overuse of stressed forms of pronouns, a less than perfectly accurate TTS software (if this course had a real human voice, it would be SO much better), and the occassional completely nonsensical sentence, which makes you second guess yourself. I don't like those. The merely silly sentences though, I actually love. They have little practical application, but they're funny and they stick. One of them is the "honden houden niet van hoeden" above.

Another kleine vraag - is it common to regularly drop the -N from the word "van" in spoken Dutch?

Vogels? Ik heb er vier.

Edited by getreallanguage on 22 July 2015 at 7:31pm

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5277 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 

Message 43 of 43
22 July 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I have decided to migrate my log over to the backup forum. This might be just for the time being or it may end up being permanent, who knows. See you all over there!

Tomorrow, de wereld!

Edited by getreallanguage on 22 July 2015 at 7:40pm

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version