Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What is your MBTI Personality Type?

Tags: Personality | Poll
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: What is your MBTI Personality Type?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [25.35%]
51 [23.50%]
12 [5.53%]
13 [5.99%]
86 [39.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

139 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 17 18 Next >>

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5001 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 105 of 139
28 August 2013 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
I took a paper-based Myers Brigg test a number of years ago, and - according to the results then - would join
the ranks of the other "NTJ" s here on the forum. I'm right on the border between being "ENTJ" and "INTJ",
though.

1 person has voted this message useful

Bruno87
Diglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 4174 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese

Message 106 of 139
29 August 2013 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
I got an ISTJ... Sounds like an enterprise xD

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4150 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 107 of 139
30 August 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Your personality type is INFP!
Introverted (I) 64%      Extraverted (E) 36%
Intuitive (N) 68%      Sensing (S) 32%
Feeling (F) 75%      Thinking (T) 25%
Perceiving (P) 68%      Judging (J) 32%
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 108 of 139
12 May 2015 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I'm an ISTP (Gaben in socionics).

Heh, I'm an INFP and I think this explains our differences :D Basically I strongly believe in creating an intuitive model in your mind (pronunciation, vocab, grammar) and then activating it later, maybe muuuuch later when it's so good that only minimal practice is needed. (I also don't have such a need to leave my books/comp and go out there into the real world as you do, so I'm fine with activating it later :D)

I think Khatzumoto might be ISTP too btw.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 109 of 139
12 May 2015 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Whereas I have to work with it like a tool or it just makes zero sense.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 110 of 139
12 May 2015 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I started a poll with all types. And with the incomplete types for those who aren't sure - please don't mark two full types, but exclude the part you're not sure about! And don't click the individual letters if you chose a proper type. You can also mark yourself as introvert or extravert (E/I) even if you're completely unfamiliar with MBTI. (extraverts gain energy from people, introverts from being alone. if you want to question this definition, do it elsewhere and don't vote)

If you're curious, I also highly recommend this page about the cognitive functions. You can't be "in between" two types, you may just have a well-developed third or even fourth function. They also have great descriptions of each type, click the link on the left.

druckfehler wrote:
INFP.

By the way, I don't think Ts are more inclined towards language learning than Fs. I only think their motivation, learning strategies and choice of languages might differ.

I totally agree (and I'm INFP too :P). In fact, T's tend to be good at maths/science/technical stuff, which would make them likely to consider themselves bad at languages (especially monolingual English speakers, since nowadays English is important in these kinds of jobs). They're also probably less likely to feel the need to experience content in the original, preferring a high quality translation to their understanding with gaps. (at least my INTJ literature-loving friend is like this) They approach languages more practically. (A good example would be how Iversen had an extended break from language learning prior to joining HTLAL)

On the other hand, extraverted F's might have such a strong need for communication that again it's hard for them to limit the L1 time or to speak in imperfect L2.

If anything, by default the preference I'd link to languages is iNtuition. It's generally associated with things like reading, expressing yourself verbally, creative use of language, seeing patterns etc. Although again, there's the "danger" of doing these in L1.

S is something I've really struggled to understand, but I came to associate this preference with sports, computer games (especially IS**), travel, music, nature, painting/photography. And I do love most of these but they become pointless for me if language is not involved (including L2 music or symbolic language).
edit: but I'm a very extreme case. N-types simply enjoy something about these things that doesn't fit the usual 5 senses paradigm. And of course every N-type still has 3rd or 4th S.
also, more examples of S are food/cooking, gardening, movies/TV-series.

Edited by Serpent on 13 May 2015 at 11:34am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 111 of 139
12 May 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Hehehe, then ISTP really does sound just like me :P

basica
Australia
Joined 3328 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 112 of 139
12 May 2015 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
INTJ through and through, though I occasionally score as an INFJ, I have a little trouble understanding since I
share little in common with INFJs.

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version