Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 105 of 109
03 May 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
aceinthehole wrote:

8. Czech - To bewilder the people. I can picture the response of some Czech resident:
"An Asian guy speaking Czech?!"

No bewilderment would happen. We are all used to our vietnamese speaking Czech. The
older ones speak horribly (and don't understand at all when their shops are visited by
the police :-D) but the young ones have Czech as their second native language and many
of them study at universities in Czech. So, you would be probably considered to be just
another of our vietnamese no matter your origin, because most Czechs just can't
recognize the Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese/Koreans/etc from each other (I can't as
well).

I am learning my languages for fun but which 10 would I crazily add:

1.Quenya or Sindarin. - I love the Lord of the Rings

2.Welsh - One of the source languages of Tolkien and it just sounds beautiful. And I
have always loved the Celtes in the history.

3.Finnish - Again one of the source languages. It is so beautiful. And I love Nightwish

4.Swedish/Norwegian - I am definitely learning one of them this year. But I would like
to add the other one as well in future. So many good books (and music) coming from the
north. And those scandinavians are surely keeping many more for themselves, those
greedy vikings!

5. Ancient Egyptian - another of my favourite history chapters. And I like Stargate
(yes, that is not an intelligent reason, I know)

6.Latin - I know only basics and terminology. But it would be great to speak with
another Latin loving friend in Latin. Or with other people. Making the dead language a
bit less dead again.

7.Mandarin - The challenge of a tonal language.

8.Polish - High on my hitlist, tons of great literature. And they are neighbours after
all, could be fun for many weekends.

9.Arabic or Hebrew - A semitic language, totally different sound and a nice script.

10. The Old Tongue from the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. - I would even have a great
use for it! But there are just isolated phrases and words known.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 106 of 109
03 May 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Your list is one of the yummiest so far /for my taste/

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chris Ford
Groupie
United States
Joined 4539 days ago

65 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 107 of 109
04 May 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I'm going to exclude languages that I currently study or I think I'll study in the near future.

-Khmer (Cambodian)
-Mandarin
-Italian
-Thai
-Japanese
-Navajo
-Vietnamese
-Arabic (which dialect though?)
-Swahili
-German
1 person has voted this message useful

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4458 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 108 of 109
06 May 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Czech or Slovak
Serbian or Croatian
Swedish, Norwegian or Danish
Dutch
Hungarian

That's pretty much it, I can't get to 10. I felt like learning German for fun in fact, it sounded beautiful and mysterious and that attracted me a lot.

Realistically, I will probably go with Italian and Spanish next because I could use them, but not before my German is solid. I could see myself playing with Dutch or even Swedish one day, but I don't really believe I'm going to learn the languages above to the point where I can be comfortable in a conversation.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 109 of 109
06 May 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
I don't think I would learn any language if it weren't fun, but languages that I don't
know or speak already (i.e. are on my speaks list) that I want to learn in the future
and are fun to study, include the following:

- Hebrew
- Romanian
- Breton
- Icelandic

(these four I am already studying)

However, 10 other languages I would love to study/dabble in are:

- Malagasy
- Mandarin Chinese
- Serbo-Croatian
- Swahili
- Portuguese
- Finnish
- Czech
- Farsi
- Greek
- Tagalog.
- Levantine Arabic.

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version