Spain
Joined 6690 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 109
23 July 2006 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I am very pleased to see so many of you have Finnish on the list. I can only recommend you to go for it. It is truly a fantastic language !

I won't be able to include Finnish in my own list though, since I already know it, but here are a few off the top of my head:

Icelandic
The way the vikings spoke, and to get closer to the
scandinavian roots.

Esperanto
The challenge here would be to see how quickly you
can learn a language that was designed exactly for
that purpose.

Chinese (Mandarin)
I am studying it now, mainly motivated by fun though
I very much suspect that sooner or later it will end
up being useful too, in one way or another.

Japanese
I dabbled in it many years ago and the idea to take
it up again has always been there in the background.

Arabic
Very exotic and the chic factor it quite high.
Perhaps also to understand that part of the
world better.

Hungarian
Related to Finnish.

Edited by Hencke on 23 July 2006 at 8:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AML
United States
Joined 6621 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 43 of 109
25 July 2006 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Just for fun.

Estonian
Bengali
Thai
Croatian
Igbo
Zulu
Yiddish
Lingua Franca Nova (LFN)
Folkspraak
Lithuanian

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6498 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 44 of 109
26 July 2006 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
I'd say more for curiosity than fun, but that's almost the same thing.

1. Arabic
2. Irish
3. Chaozhou (a southern Chinese dialect)
4. Basque
5. Xhosa
6. Hawaiian
7. Latin
8. Old French
9. Middle French
10. some American Indian language

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6663 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 45 of 109
26 July 2006 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Recycling is fun.
Qbe wrote:
If I were a man of leisure with lots of free time and resources, just for the fun of learning them I'd pick:
1. Syriac (have the book but not the time)
2. Akkadian
3. Ladino
4. Coptic
5. Tocharian A or B
6. Hittite
7. Basque
8. Vietnamese
9. Sanskrit
10. Mayan or Quechua
11. Sumerian
12. Ainu

But I'd delete 3, 10 and 12 to replace them by Tibetan, Santali, and Pali.

Sanskrit grammar is no fun at all, but its literature is.

Safis
Canada
Joined 6472 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Japanese, French, Ukrainian

Message 46 of 109
15 August 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
There are so many languages I want to learn. It's a bit frustrating trying to stick to one language until I'm fairly proficient at it. I'm focusing on Japanese right now, but I can't see reaching such a level for at least a couple of years from now. But if I could study any language just for fun right now, these would be some of my top choices:

1) Ukrainian - I'm of half Ukrainian background and the language has entirely dropped out of my family. I'd love to learn the language of my heritage and pass it to the next generation.

2) Korean - My study of Japanese led me to an interest in Korean. Particularly, having watched quite a few Korean dramas and movies, I've found that I love the sound of the language. Also, its grammar bears much similarity to Japanese, at least at the early stages, so it would be easier to learn than starting from scratch. I can already read Hangeul.

3) Mandarin - At the university I attended for my first two years, almost half of the students spoke some form of Chinese, mostly Mandarin. I came to somewhat like the sound of the language. I also love kanji/hanzi, having some experience using them in Japanese already.

4) Latin - As the language of the Catholic church, I want to be able to read Latin. But not only that; I want to speak it! I've met a couple of people who can quite comfortably converse in Latin. I think it's a great language and it's a real shame that most people only learn it to read and to translate.

5) German - I spent a month in Germany a few years ago on a summer exchange program. I didn't have enough time to learn the language to any useful degree, especially as my host mother was an English teacher, speaking to me in English most of the time. I'd love to be able to learn the language and then go back there someday. After studying Esperanto and an introduction to (modern) Greek, I understand cases much better, which was probably the biggest obstacle to my learning at the time.

6) Indonesian - I keep hearing stories about how simple Indonesian is, which led me to take a cursory glance at its structure. I am quite amazed at how words are constructed using so many affixes, repeating nouns to pluralize them, and so forth. In the interest of, well, interest, I wouldn't mind dipping into Indonesian.

7) Italian - There's no real reason here like most of the languages I've listed. I just find it somewhat interesting and its sound appeals to me (except for those darn drawn-out stressed vowels!) Now if only I could roll my Rs...

8) Frisian - It's the language most closely related to English that's not considered a dialect. It would be interesting to learn Frisian and see just how similar they are.

9) Greek - I like the alphabet. At least that's why I first took a real look at it. I've done a half dozen audio lessons, bought a dictionary and a simple grammar/teach-yourself book, but haven't really devoted myself to it, partially because of Japanese and partially because I have no real occasion to use it.

10)Russian - It would be nice to learn Russian just because so many people speak it. If I ever do study Russian, it will be after Ukrianian, so I will have a distinct advantage then.

swimmergrl
United States
Joined 6472 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 47 of 109
16 August 2006 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Fun topic!

I'm working towards Veterinary school, and would love to work for the WHO, so languages will be important, but right now for fun I want to learn:

1) Arabic - Both written, and colloquial Egyptian (if resourses allow) The cultures where Arabic is spoken are really interesting to me!

2) Turkish - I was going to spend 2 months in Turkey on a volunteer trip but my university cancelled the trip with the violence in the area. I still want to go!

3) Italian - It is such a beautiful language, and very close to Spanish, which I am studying now.

4) Esperanto - It sounds like a fun project

5) Persian/Farsi - Same reason as Arabic

6) Latin - both written and spoken, would help alot in scientific field and with all the romance languages

7) Hindu/Urdu - Same as Arabic and Farsi

8) Possibly one of the Eastern Asian languages, but the difficult alphabets and grammar really intimidate me right now. Maybe after I learn a few more languages!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 109
16 August 2006 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
When you speak about 'fun' everybody thinks in terms of strange and exotic languages representing every corner of the Globe.

Me, I'm so prosaic - I just think it would be fun to know every Indoeuropean language in existence, past and present. If I could find a year or two in my calendar I would definitely go for the Slavic languages, and if the spelling was less absurd it would also be fun to add the Celtic languages. And Albanese, but probably not Hittitte and Tocharian because they are utterly stone dead and not even chic.

The only non-Indoeuropean language I have ever had serious plans to learn was Finnish, because Finland has so close ties to the other Nordic countries.

Edited by Iversen on 16 August 2006 at 4:38am

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version