United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 161 of 479
22 June 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
This was a post from LangWanderer's log, but I thought it was worth reposting here since it applies directly to my own studies.

LangWanderer wrote:
Warp3: It's only brave if there are consequences for failure! Unless there's some punishment I haven't been told about(!), the benefit from the added motivation will outweigh any disappointment that might result from failure.

True. I've made little to no progress on several of my TAC goals, but I've gained enough benefit from the goals that I *am* attaining that I couldn't possibly regret the attempt.

I'm starting to get a similar notion from my Hanja studies. A few times I've tried studying a larger number of Hanja per week, but a lower percentage of them stick which is discouraging. However what I need to keep in mind is that even if the ratio is lower, if the actual number of Hanja that stick is still higher than with the lower count, then it's still a win. In other words, if I try to learn 20 characters per week but only 50% stick, that is still better than doing 7 per week (which is my actual target) and having 100% recall. (In fact, I believe AJATT had an article on this very idea at one point.) Plus those other characters do seem to eventually stick after I miss them several times, they just take longer to finally grab hold. If one doesn't stick after failing it a few times, I throw together a mnemonic for the character and that usually gives it the boost it needs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 162 of 479
24 June 2012 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
I didn't realize just how very comfortable I was with Hangul characters until an incident this evening. We're watching Music Bank and a promo for Dalshabet's comeback appears. Someone else in the room (who is also studying Korean, but is still in the earlier stages) asks whether Dalshabet's new song is supposed to be pronounced "Mr. Bang Bang". I was confused why this was even a question, so I backed up the video and looked at the screen again and just then realized that it was spelled "Mr. ㅂang ㅂang" instead. My brain hadn't even acknowledged the change in script. I honestly thought the whole thing was in English the first time I read it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5439 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 163 of 479
24 June 2012 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
When it comes to Mr Bang Bang, you guys should just focus on the best dance move of the year.

Gif here
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 164 of 479
24 June 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 6월 17일- 2012년 6월 23일):

Hanja: 15

Korean cards: 39

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading: A few pages of 노인과 바다 (The Old Man And The Sea), a few visits to Twitter, some random reading on ko.wikipedia.org (which was actually the source for some of my words this week).

Active Practice: Nothing of note.

I spent a fair bit of time playing with the "임의 문서로" (random article) button on ko.wikipedia.org late this week and reading from the articles that caught my interest. I also picked up a few words for my SRS in the process (like 주 = state, province, which I added as a Hanja character instead (州) due to the numerous homonyms).

I also added more Hanja characters than normal this week. Once I got past the part where I was getting annoyed by not recalling the new characters well at all, I realized that I can handle a bigger Hanja load than I originally thought. The new characters rarely stick on the first few passes unless something really catches my attention about the character, but eventually they do click once I see them enough times, so I'm not really overdoing it as much as it feels like I am. I don't want to go too far, though, since it can be discouraging to miss several characters in a row during a review session. This week's count of 15 felt ok, so I think I'll try for double the old target (i.e. 14/week) as a new goal for a while.

---

español (17/6/2012 - 23/6/2012):

Nothing. Since this has been the case for two weeks in a row, I'm officially putting Spanish "on hold" again to focus on Korean and Japanese.

---

日本語 (2012年 6月 17日 - 2012年 6月 23日):

Pimsleur Japanese:
- Lessons 16-18 (26 cards)

My plan for an increased number of lessons for Japanese didn't quite work out after all. Oh well, I'm still progressing at the same rate I was before, so I'm not that worried about it. Part of the issue is that we had some hectic days at work this week and my motivation to start a new Japanese lesson following one of those days was minimal at best.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 165 of 479
29 June 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
When I bought Pimsleur Japanese I the only necessary decision I had in mind about buying PJ2 was the timing so I didn't run out and have downtime between lessons 30 and 31 (which turns out to be moot anyway, since I'm buying these via digital download now, so I don't actually have to wait for CDs to arrive). However now that I'm 2/3rds of the way through PJ1 (did the final pass of lesson 20 today), I'm now debating whether to buy PJ2 at all. Thinking back on Pimsleur Korean and Spanish, the bulk of the usefulness I got from Pimsleur was an introduction to the language, a rough concept of the grammar, pronunciation practice right from the start, and active production of the language. However, the bulk of those points really come from the earlier lessons (except for the active practice, but that can be done later as well). Sure I would get more vocabulary and grammar points from additional lessons, but I can learn both of those more efficiently elsewhere.

One of the big perks of Pimsleur is that the audio-only nature makes it easy to use in the car where I can't study using reading/writing methods. However, due to the lack of an included transcript, I've started doing the first pass of each lesson at home anyway, so I can note any new words into a text file (for later spelling verification and entry into Anki for review). Additional passes are still done in the car during my commute to/from work, but I still take time out during the evening for the first pass, making this perk less notable than it was before. I did locate and download a transcript for Pimsleur Japanese, which I've been using heavily to verify kana spellings, however it is apparently for a slightly different edition so some words are introduced at different times or sometimes the words used are different altogether. In addition, this transcript only covers part 1 (lessons 1-30) so I wouldn't have this same transcript help for lessons 31-90.

Thus what I'm considering instead is finishing Pimsleur Japanese 1 then jumping straight into the beginner textbooks from there. I may come back to Pimsleur later for some review and production practice (like I did with Korean) and may very well buy PJ2 and PJ3 at that point, but I no longer really see the point in buying them right now.

On that note, I'm also thinking of ramping up my Pimsleur Japanese schedule notably to knock out the last 10 lessons in two weeks. This will have somewhat of an effect on my Korean (particularly my ability to listen to Korean in the car), but I can handle that for two weeks.

After that two week run, I will very likely go back to memorizing Korean songs again (which utilizes in-car time, thus the need to wait until Pimsleur Japanese is done). I've found that I rather miss doing that and I already have a few songs in mind that I want to memorize.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 166 of 479
01 July 2012 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 6월 24일- 2012년 6월 30일):

Hanja: 13

Korean cards: 37

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading:
- 치치 - Longer (2 cards)

Extensive Reading: 9 pages of 노인과 바다 (which is a lot more than the 3 pages I did the previous week), a few visits to Twitter, some random reading on ko.wikipedia.org.

Active Practice: A few small posts replying to druckfehler in the Korean thread here, but nothing beyond that.

Part of the reason my page count was higher for reading this week was due to trying something I read about in CZ's thread. Since there is more "downtime" available in a music show than it takes me to add far too many Hanja characters, I've been spending some of the rest of the "downtime" reading from my bilingual book instead. I didn't expect to be able to concentrate on the book very well with audio playing but it works far better than I had feared, so I will likely continue.

The Hanja goal of 14/week is acceptable, but I need to spread it out more rather than adding it in chunks like I did this week (6 one day and 7 another).

I may try to start memorizing songs again before waiting to finish my "sprint to finish Pimsleur Japanese 1", I just won't have as much time to practice them as I normally do, since my commute time will be occupied by Pimsleur. If I do, the only one in my possible queue that I've actually SE read yet is "치치 - Longer" (which I SE read on Friday), so I will probably start with that song. I've actually already memorized the entire chorus and small chunks of the verses just from listening to it so many times, so I've got a healthy head-start. The rap section is a bit fast though, so that might take some work.

---

español (24/6/2012 - 30/6/2012): Still on hold. I've got some possible ideas in mind for reviving it, though.

---

日本語 (2012年 6月 24日 - 2012年 6月 30日):

Pimsleur Japanese:
- Lessons 19-20 (32 cards)

I only ended up doing 2 lessons this week, but I did three passes of each as they were starting to get tricker (i.e. adding more content in a single lesson) as you can see by the fact that I had more cards this week despite fewer lessons. However, my plan for the next two weeks involves 5 lessons per week at 3 passes per lesson, which will finish off Pimsleur Japanese 1. As noted earlier in the week, I will likely move onto textbook work the following week rather than Pimsleur Japanese 2.

Edited by Warp3 on 01 July 2012 at 7:00pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 167 of 479
01 July 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I spent a fair bit of time playing with the "임의 문서로" (random article) button on ko.wikipedia.org late this week and reading from the articles that caught my interest.

That sounds like a fun idea for picking up a whole lot of new vocabulary. I'll try that sometime, when I've completed the things I'm currently working on.

By the way, do you feel like your ohter studies are starting to interfere with Korean (vocabulary or pronunciation-wise) or is it no issue?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 168 of 479
02 July 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
If you mean am I getting language interference, I'm getting some, but not nearly as much as when I was trying to work on both Spanish and Korean back when Korean was at a pure beginner stage. My knowledge of Korean has already been very useful for Japanese for both grammar (particles, word order, honorifics, etc.) and vocabulary (since both have quite a few Chinese loan words).

It is cutting into my time a bit, though (which is expected), so I'm having to work a little harder to find time for certain Korean tasks (like adding vocabulary to Anki). It isn't cutting into my Hanja time, though, since I do that while watching Korean shows anyway, nor should it affect that much anyway, since Hanja time is beneficial for both languages. Virtually all of my immersion material is still in Korean, so I'm not too worried about that part.

I have found myself watching more "Japanese related" materials from my Korean media collection, though (like re-watching the two episode special of 청춘불패 where they flew to Japan which has a good bit of Japanese dialog).

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version