United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 49 of 479
14 January 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Russian is on my hit list of languages to eventually learn, but who knows if that will ever happen. I have learned the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, though (and continue to review it via SRS).

No worries. I'm surprised I don't hit "report" more often since the buttons are right beside each other...hehe

---

I added all the unknown (or not well-enough known) "level B" words from SKV's "17.4 Climate, Weather" section today resulting in 8 new cards. Throw in another related card (SKV lists 섭씨 (Celsius) but not 화씨 (Fahrenheit), so I added that one as well) and that is the 9 I needed to hit 44 cards this week (which brings my average to the desired 39/week). I technically know 화씨 already (I used it in a Twitter post a few months ago), but I don't know it as readily as I'd like, so I added it anyway.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 50 of 479
15 January 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
As for the Hanja target, I'm thinking I may have overshot reality that since 7/week target has simply not been happening, much less the 10-15/week target I was hoping to achieve. (I added 10 the first week, then nothing since, so I'm at just over a 3 per week average now.) It would be different if Korean used Hanja more heavily, but it doesn't, so the motivation to learn them faster simply isn't there. Also it takes longer to add a Hanja card since I have to fire up Gimp and Naver's Hanja dictionary to grab a stroke order image. (I don't require myself to remember stroke orders to pass the card any more, but I do still list them on the cards for reference.) I guess I need to rethink my Hanja goals and/or drop stroke order images altogether. Now that I think about it, most stroke orders are fairly obvious to me now anyway, since they seem to just flow in an obvious fashion once you've learned the stroke order of the most common shapes and learned which order to draw the elements of a compound character...hmmmm...

I've been thinking more about my Hanja comment above lately...

I searched at length today for a way to keep stroke order without keeping the extra time involved, but none of the good options seem to be available. Kanji has a stroke order font available (the ideal option), but Chinese/Korean apparently has no such equivalent (and Japanese doesn't always share the same stroke order, so I can't use that one for Hanja). I considered just making a link in the card layout instead which would link to the Naver Hanja entry, but Naver converts the character to an encoded string before searching rather than passing the character itself in the URL, so that won't work either.

So with that in mind, I pondered it some more and the more I thought about it, the more it occurred to me that I simply don't need the stroke order field. Not only do I already know the general Korean/Chinese stroke order "rules" (which means I can guess the stroke order for new characters very accurately), but many of those stroke orders will be invalid for Japanese anyway (since Japanese tends to place vertical strokes before horizontal strokes rather than the other way around like Chinese and Korean do). If I need to look up a stroke order, I can do a quick search in Naver's Hanja dictionary. Otherwise, I'm not sure I really care.

As such, I completely removed the Stroke Order field from my Hanja card model today. Hopefully with this change, I can maintain the motivation to keep my 7 card/week target. (I've decided to round the goal down to exactly 7/week since that is one per day, which makes it easier to remember and much easier to calculate.) With that in mind, I've done 10 cards in 3 weeks, so I'm a good bit behind on Hanja at the moment. Adding 18 cards this week would fully catch up, but I may pace myself a bit more than that. 11 cards/week would catch me back up in 3 weeks, so I may do that instead.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 51 of 479
18 January 2012 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
I eliminated 3 sections of SKV today (8.3 Greeting, 18.1 Days of the Week and Dates, and 18.2 Months) and the "B" words from a 4th section (15.3 Print Media and Computer) for a total of 13 new cards (which brings me to 17 new cards so far this week).

I also added 3 new Hanja cards (for a total of 7 new this week). Adding Hanja cards goes much faster without having to worry with stroke order images, so I'm glad I made that change the other day.

I've also started occasionally taking sections of SKV and counting how many unknown B and C words I need to learn/enter from that section (then recording it in the same text file I'm using to track which sections I've completed). Not only does this mean that quantifying my "complete the SKV book" goal may actually be doable after all, but it also gives me a quick preview of those words and their definitions.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 52 of 479
21 January 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I added 5 more Hanja characters to my SRS today bringing me to 12 total this week (which is just beyond the 11 I was planning to do this week). I think killing off those stroke order images was the very boost I needed for this deck.

Yesterday I eliminated SKV's "18.3 Year, Seasons" section (10 cards added) and added 1 additional word from song lyrics (한참, which I noted in Secret's "사랑은 Move" and recalled seeing in Kara's "Mister" as well, so I finally added a card for it). Today, I added 8 words from 영웅호걸 제36회 (mostly cooking related terms), and eliminated the "B" words from SKV's "17.1 Nature and Environmental Problems" (1 card) and "18.4 Time, Time of Day" (2 cards) sections. This brings my weekly total to 39 cards (which is exactly my weekly target).

Once I get the 8 "C" words from SKV's "18.4 Time, Time of Day" section that will leave "18.5 Time Concepts" as the only remaining section in chapter 18 (Time and Time Concepts). However, I browsed through that section yesterday and it is larger than the other 4 sections combined (18.5 = 10 pages; 18.1-4 = 7 pages) and contains several words that I don't yet know. I could probably get at least a week's worth of words from that section alone.

On a somewhat different topic, I had some odd dreams last night. None of my dreams started out Korean-related (in fact they mostly seemed to start out work-related...{sigh}), but the two I most vividly recall both ended with me conversing with someone in Korean. In fact, I woke up on both occasions, so I can distinctly remember the phrasing I used. Oddly enough, in one of the examples, though, I don't recall the Korean phrasing the *other* person used, though. I remember what she said, but only as the English meaning, not the wording. For my side of the conversation, I remember the wording itself (mostly Korean, though I did stick some English or Spanish in here and there, as needed). In the other example, I do remember the other person speaking in Korean, but it was a very short dialog (one line each), not a full-fledged conversation like the earlier dream. I also found it interesting that the latter scenario (the very brief dialog) was a Korean celebrity, but the former scenario (the full-fledged conversation) was just some random 아줌마 I met in the dream.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5439 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 53 of 479
26 January 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Did you get rid of your twitter?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 54 of 479
26 January 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Did you get rid of your twitter?

No...what makes you say that?

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5439 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 55 of 479
26 January 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Oh, didn't know you changed it to @warpthree haha.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 56 of 479
26 January 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I didn't change it. The name @warp3 was already taken so I've been using @warpthree from the start.

---

I've started working on scorched-earth reading lyrics again. Not only does it make great fodder for vocab cards, but it also makes for decent reading practice (fairly easy reading practice since the count of new words is quite low) and I've been memorizing lyrics again which means listening practice and production practice (when listening and/or singing along). Plus mining words from the SKV book was starting to get boring, so this will be a change of pace from that.

Yesterday I scorched-earth read T-ara's Cry Cry and 소녀시대's Gee and entered the new words into my word queue (as I ran out of time to actually enter them). Today I entered the new words from Cry Cry (6 cards) and some new words from 청춘불패2 제6회 (4 cards) into Anki. There are about 7-8 cards to add from Gee, so I'll probably hit those up tomorrow. (I was actually surprised to find that many new words in Gee since, lyrically, it is a fairly simple song.) I've also done this (scorched-earth reading with Anki vocab additions) with a few other songs recently (like Davichi's 사랑 사랑아), I just didn't happen to post about it at the time.

Another thing I've started again is listening to something other than music during my work commute. I had ripped the audio of several videos to MP3 previously so I listened through the four episodes (at about 40-45 min each) of Y-star D-Day Rainbow during my commutes late last week and early this week. That prompted me to realize that I needed to try ripping the audio from a drama and doing the same with it. So I ripped 내 여자친구는 구미호 to MP3 and have been listening to half an episode per day (then listening to music on the other commute). Today was part 2 of episode 1. It isn't quite the same as watching it, but it still has its humorous moments even in audio-only format.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version