United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 81 of 100
21 August 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Barrabbas wrote:
I once had the opportunity to speak to a doctor from India who was working at one of the local hospitals here in New York. We spoke about some of the Hindu deities; when India was occupied by the British; monotheism; and some other stuff. After a while I noticed something peculiar. His vocabulary was pretty good, but the better parts of it were related mostly to medical terminology. His medical language was of course better than mine, but my overall vocabulary was better than his. So I decided to go all out and bring up Kant's 'categorical imperative', with the expressed purpose of debating with him abstractly. He couldn't respond. Then, I recited some material from The History of the World that I had memorized a few years ago, and again he couldn't respond.

You would have had the same experience if you tried to bring up Kant with an American doctor.   And even a history professor would stare at you blankly if you recited material you had memorized at him.
5 persons have voted this message useful

AriD2385
Groupie
United States
Joined 4648 days ago

44 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: French

Message 82 of 100
21 August 2011 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

You would have had the same experience if you tried to bring up Kant with an American doctor.   And even a history
professor would stare at you blankly if you recited material you had memorized at him.

Yes, a quite brilliant American med school friend of mine would say that Kant made his brain hurt. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5029 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 83 of 100
25 August 2011 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Here is a thread which has a link for a vocabulary counter. Native speaking adults usually know around 20-30k words. My wife, who has been speaking English for ten years, scored 10k. It would be interesting to have non-native Enlish speakers take the test, post their scores, and describe their English level. Perhaps that will give us a better idea of how many words for conversation.

Last night, I counted how many words I have already learned from my textbooks, then factored in how many words I learned otherwise, and came to a rough estimate of about 2,000 words. I don't think this is enough for me to feel comfortable in a conversation. Based off of how many words I know and how many words my wife knows, I really feel that 3-5k words would make someone reasonably comfortable in a conversation.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4663 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 84 of 100
25 August 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Barrabbas wrote:
So I decided to go all out and bring up Kant's 'categorical imperative', with the expressed purpose of debating with him abstractly. He couldn't respond. Then, I recited some material from The History of the World that I had memorized a few years ago, and again he couldn't respond.

That has got to be the most elitist definition of fluency I have ever encountered.

I can't help but wonder what the world would be like if everybody quoted Kant.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Barrabbas
Joined 5859 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: German

Message 85 of 100
11 September 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Barrabbas wrote:
So I decided to go all out and bring up Kant's 'categorical imperative', with the expressed purpose of debating with him abstractly. He couldn't respond. Then, I recited some material from The History of the World that I had memorized a few years ago, and again he couldn't respond.

That has got to be the most elitist definition of fluency I have ever encountered.

You totally misunderstood my example. I was exploring a "definition of fluency" by showing that it IS in fact possible to be fluent, or even expert, in one area of a language and not in another. I think what makes a person "fluent" in any given language is cultural understanding. For example, if I wanted to I could study to learn how to order food, travel, work, pay bills and live in Japan. I could get by, but what does this mean with respect to my overall 'understanding' of the culture? Absolutely nothing since I would be "fluent" here and there, but not everywhere. In the same cultural sense I was illustrating that the good doctor is fluent in otolaryngology, but not in philosophy or (Western) history, (in English). So is he "fluent"? The answer is that it depends on the subject. He was smart enough to become a doctor, yet his overall cultural understanding is lopsided.

Perhaps my examples were too extreme. Instead of Kant's categorical imperative what about more generalized knowledge such as for example The American Civil Rights Movement or The Civil War or the impact of the JFK assassination? I'm sure he wouldn't fair too well in a discussion on these either. Does "fluency" not imply some familiarity with culture?

Edited by Barrabbas on 11 September 2011 at 12:06pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 86 of 100
11 September 2011 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
This thread has gone from the importance of using most frequently-used words in a foreign language to being the equivalent of a scholar in a foreign language. That's thorough! ;)

What made me click was the title, How Many Words for Conversation, so I'll quickly say one thing and then it can go back to the debate on fluency.

I have experience working with people whose native language is not English and yet they work in an (almost) all-English environment. It's always interesting to me how they can go to work for 10 hours and get their job done, knowing -just the basic fundamentals-.

This includes, of course, how to affirm (yes) and negate something (not). How to direct attention at something (this), and how to say that there's something right (good) or wrong (problem). A conversation is most likely based on common words used in 2-3 languages (again, like "problem" or "okay") The more appropriate topic might be how far we define conversation, rather than how far we define fluency. There's already enough threads about fluency, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: there's also a usually a common business vernacular that gets used, which includes some technical language or company-based terms, but whether this is a criteria for conversation?... Actually, I think what I deal with mostly is "communication" and not conversation!

Edited by Sunja on 11 September 2011 at 2:32pm

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4747 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 87 of 100
11 September 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I think this is the link that jasoninchina mentioned: http://iteslj.org/Articles/Cervatiuc-VocabularyAcquisition.h tml

Quote:

Nation and Waring (1997) suggest that by knowing the 2000 most frequent word families, plus the Academic Word List (AWL), a second language reader would understand about 90% of the words encountered in any academic text. There are approximately 570 words in the Academic Word List (AWL)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 100
11 September 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Barrabbas wrote:
Does "fluency" not imply some familiarity with culture?

No - at least not on the lower levels. Fluency is essentially the ability to speak like water running out of a faucet. However even at the bottom level you would normally also demand that the speech is understandable, which entails that it to some extent is correct and that the pronuncation isn't way off. But these things properly belong to the realm of proficiency. Finally you have to speak about something, so you need at least a modest vocabulary - but if you only speak about the weather and sports and your job you may not need to know the specific vocabulary of philosophy or science or literature or politics.

When you advance to the level of advanced fluency it is expected not only that you can speak, but also that you make few errors, that your accent is under control and that you can speak about a wide array of subjects. But even native speakers can't speak about everything (although some are more versatile than others), and you will find many native speakers who haven't ever heard about Kant. You will also find native speakers who don't care about fashion or cooking or birds and who therefore have a deficient vocabulary in those areas. Learners at any level will by definition have more holes and bigger holes in their vocabulary than the average native speaker, but the principle must be that you can't demand more of a learner than you would of a randomly selected native speaker.

Edited by Iversen on 11 September 2011 at 8:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version