Joined 4663 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 100
06 August 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
fiziwig wrote:

If I may paraphrase you... One does not learn architecture by studying bricks.

--gary

I'm not sure I understand the analogy here. All that I'm saying is this. If in a language, let's say Spanish, you observe that 3 to 4 out of all verbs you hear or use will be a variant of 5 highly irregular verbs, it just makes sense, at least to me, that as a learner you would do well to concentrate at some point on mastering those 5 key verbs. What is the alternative here? Ignore these 5 verbs and concentrate on the more obscure verbs that you are less likely to hear? So when your turn comes to speak what are you going to do?

Yes, of course. My bad. I was more focusing on the "collect X number of words" aspect of the thread, which struck me as not such a good approach. I prefer to learn words in a context, which entails learning both the word and its containing syntactic structure.

You are completely correct about learning those foundational verbs, prepositions and grammatical particles, of course. My own preference would be to learn them in a context, rather than from tables and charts, however. Instead of associating, for example, the third person singular pretérito of ir with a particular slot in a conjugation table I would rather associate it with the pronouns it usually accompanies and the situations it usually describes. If I learn it as being in a certain slot in a particular table then when I go to use it I have to think about the tables and and slots and "compute" which form of the verb to use. If I learn it in context then it becomes a habit and "selection" or "choice" do not enter into the process and production is much more fluent. That's my theory anyway. I'm truly not experienced enough to know if that theory holds any water or not, but for the time being, I'm sticking to it. :)

--gary

2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5096 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 18 of 100
06 August 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
If I learn it as being in a certain slot in a particular table then when I go to use it I have to think about the tables and and slots and "compute" which form of the verb to use. If I learn it in context then it becomes a habit and "selection" or "choice" do not enter into the process and production is much more fluent. That's my theory anyway. I'm truly not experienced enough to know if that theory holds any water or not, but for the time being, I'm sticking to it. :)--gary

From my experience such "table knowledge" can just as well result in fluent production, not at once, of course, but after some time there is no reason that it hinders fluency.
And while some people may learn these tables without associating any meaning with it, this is not necessarily so. When I go through the verb tables I have memorized I always do "feel" the actual meaning, the person, number, mood, things like this, this is possible, and then actual production is not many steps away.
One can of course learn these things as pure sound, a kind of meaningless mantra, in this case it is just a kind of mnemonic list one can use for relatively slow reference while producing output, I guess many people do this, well, I know some of them, and in this case your suspicion that it may hinder fluency for a longer while is justified, of course. In the end this kind of schematic knowledge (which I don't recommend) can still lead to good fluency, but in a less direct way.
1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6463 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 19 of 100
06 August 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
As a side note: it has been said that Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany had an active vocabulary of about 500 words.

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5024 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 20 of 100
07 August 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
To quote Paul Nation, who should know what he is talking about:

"If we take 98% as the ideal coverage, a 8,000–9,000 word-family vocabulary is needed for dealing with written text, and 6,000–7,000 families for dealing with spoken text."

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 21 of 100
07 August 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
As a side note: it has been said that Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of the Federal
Republic of Germany had an active vocabulary of about 500 words.

In his sleep? Or are you joking?

Does THIS look like something a man
with a 500-word vocabulary would say?

"I have the honor to pay you a visit in company with some of the members of my Cabinet, thereby establishing the first
contact between the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany and the three High Commissioners. Now that the German
Federal Assembly has convened, and the Federal president been elected, and now that I have been chosen Federal
Chancellor and the members of the Federal Cabinet have been appointed, a new chapter of German history of the postwar
years begins.—The disaster of the second world war has left in its wake a Germany almost totally destroyed. Our cities
were in ruins. Economic life was largely smashed. All vestiges of a government had ceased. The very souls of men had
suffered such injuries that it seemed doubtful whether a recovery would ever be possible. During the four years
following the disaster of 1945, legislative and executive power was largely vested in the occupation powers. It was
only step by step that executive and legislative functions were redelegated to German authorities on various levels,
and with a limited power to make decisions. It is fitting and proper to acknowledge gratefully that the German
population was saved during these trying years from starvation by Allied help in supplying food which at the time could
not be purchased with the proceeds of German exports. It was this help which made possible the start of reconstruction.
Now that the governmental and legislative elements of the German Federal Republic are being built up, a large part of
the responsibility and the authority to make decisions will pass into German hands. We do not, of course, possess as
yet complete freedom; since there are considerable restrictions contained in the occupation statute. We will do our
part to bring about an atmosphere in which the Allied powers will see their way clear to apply the occupation statute
in a liberal and generous manner; only in this way will the German people be able to attain full freedom. We hope that
the Allied powers will, by making a corresponding use of the revision clause in the occupation statute, hasten the
further political development of our country."

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 22 of 100
07 August 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
To quote Paul Nation, who should know what he is talking about:

"If we take 98% as the ideal coverage, a 8,000–9,000 word-family vocabulary is needed for dealing with written text, and 6,000–7,000 families for dealing with spoken text."

Since there is no source of this quote, it is difficult to ascertain what kind of texts Paul Nation is talking about here. I think we can assume that he was talking about a generic wide-ranging sample of texts for testing purposes.

Those figures certainly look possible, but I should point out that here we are talking a) about conversations and b) a very specific sample, i.e. a single soap opera with approximately 255 final episodes. In a sense it is like looking at one book with many chapters as opposed to looking at many different books.

The observation that I'm making here is that in this sort of sample speaking proficiency can be very high with a relatively small vocabulary. The reason the vocabulary is so small is the very limited nature of the range of experiences of the characters in this sort of programming. If you were to look at 10 different soap operas, the total vocabulary size would expand considerably no doubt. But that's not the issue here.

What is interesting here is the fact that although a given episode uses about 120 verbs, it is likely that all 255 episodes will only contain a slightly larger number. I'm just guessing here, of course, based on my observations of about 20 episodes.

An interesting point worth noting is that although the verbs don't change too much from one episode to the next, there is a certain form of lexical clustering around certain themes or events. For example, when a young women gives birth, there appears a certain vocabulary related to that event. Then it disappears, never to be heard again. Characters come and go and so do the vocabulary related to them. However, the core vocabulary, just like the core characters, remains the same.

Edited by s_allard on 07 August 2011 at 7:19am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 23 of 100
07 August 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Marc Frisch wrote:
As a side note: it has been said that Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of the Federal
Republic of Germany had an active vocabulary of about 500 words.

In his sleep? Or are you joking?

Does THIS look like something a man
with a 500-word vocabulary would say?

I think there's an important distinction here. I read here that Adenauer used a vocabulary of 500 words in his speeches. That may certainly be true, but his general vocabulary was no doubt larger. It's like saying that Obama uses less than 800 words in his speeches--actually that sounds quite accurate--but that is not a reflection of his total active vocabulary.

Edited by s_allard on 07 August 2011 at 8:31am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 24 of 100
07 August 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
From my experience such "table knowledge" can just as well result in fluent production, not at once, of course, but after some time there is no reason that it hinders fluency.

May work for some people, not for others. Doesn't work well for me, and I'd rather have people who give advice about it add "try out if it works for you, if it doesn't - there are other approaches, one of them - or a combination - will work."

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version