Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 57 of 100
10 August 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I think that it was a video by Splog ("FluentCzech") that convinced me of the value of the word 'chunk'.

Chunks form a subgroup of the fixed/idiomatic expressions of a language, and the thing that characterizes them is that they are used as 'glue' to making your conversation stick together. I'm slightly wary of the word 'filler' because it implies that you ONLY say something to fill out a hole (so that your conversation partners don't get the chance to take over). Actually some chunks seem to have this function, but in other cases they can be used to organize an argument into sections, to make people listen or to hint at the logical structure of your argument. Ideally they fill the same role in fluent speech as function functions in syntax. But alas, not all chunks are used for better communication...

examples:

A fixed expression that isn't a chunk: "fixed expression"
A chunk: "by the way"

At least that's how I define chunks

I think the mystery has been solved. If I remember correctly Splog was talking about "connectors" that serve to link conversational units. "By the way". "so", and "then" are classic connectors in English. I wouldn't exactly call them all chunks. I suggest that chunk be reserved for its more conventional use.
1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 58 of 100
10 August 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Iversen wrote:
I'm slightly wary of the word 'filler' because it implies that you ONLY say something to fill out a hole (so that your conversation partners don't get the chance to take over).

Ok, but that's pretty much the definition of "while you say them you have time to think about your next intelligent and independent remark", which you said about chunks.

I still prefer the word "filler". I would assume chunks to refer to groups of words you learn together, not fillers.

por otro lado (on the other hand) I suspect we all use a lot of chunks/fillers or connectors..... to join up thoughts but there are 'set phrases' that you should know because natives use them often which don't directly translate at all well.
Tant pis (Fr Never mind/Ah well) being one that I understand and use, probably incorrectly, but could never decipher the literal translation. Someone here is probably going to pick that up and tell me when,what and where those seven letters come from and when it is correct to use them.

Carlucio
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4656 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 59 of 100
10 August 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
for conversation you need just a few hundreeds, a thing i noted when i was in Australia studying English was that we learn to describe and improvise when we enter in contact with the language, for example if you dont know the English word for boar, you can describe it as a wild pig, you can describe a truck as a huge car that transport things.

Edited by Carlucio on 10 August 2011 at 6:29pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 60 of 100
10 August 2011 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Iversen wrote:
I'm slightly wary of the word 'filler' because it implies that you ONLY say something to fill out a hole (so that your conversation partners don't get the chance to take over).

Ok, but that's pretty much the definition of "while you say them you have time to think about your next intelligent and independent remark", which you said about chunks.

I still prefer the word "filler". I would assume chunks to refer to groups of words you learn together, not fillers.

por otro lado (on the other hand) I suspect we all use a lot of chunks/fillers or connectors..... to join up thoughts but there are 'set phrases' that you should know because natives use them often which don't directly translate at all well.
Tant pis (Fr Never mind/Ah well) being one that I understand and use, probably incorrectly, but could never decipher the literal translation. Someone here is probably going to pick that up and tell me when,what and where those seven letters come from and when it is correct to use them.

I think the Tant pis is fine. I just wanted to add that the most common connector in Spanish is Bueno pues. Many connectors are somewhat meaningless in the sense that their primary function is to facilitate the flow of the conversation. Other examples in French would be "bien", "écoutez", "disons". Again, I would emphasize that all these connector words can have other functions.

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4693 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 61 of 100
11 August 2011 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
oldearth wrote:
Here's my take now: Whether or not learning X,000 words is the
fastest way to basic fluency, I know that I would like to learn at least 10k or so to achieve my desired
reading level in my target language. Given that I need to
learn all these words anyway to meet my long term goal, why not front-load my study with vocabulary
and reading?

I disagree. You are essentially saying, let's learn vocab first, THEN learn how to use it. Except that vocabulary
is much easier to learn when you actually use it, and it is much easier to get a good grasp on how and when
to use words when you actually use them, as opposed to reading it in theory, on paper. It also delays you
from learning common colocations, the natural associations that exist between words. Learning that much
vocab takes a long time, but it's by no means the hardest part of learning to speak a language. I think
everyone would agree that speaking the language to fluency is the ultimate frontier, and that's why I think
speaking should be tackled as early as possible, AS you learn vocab, not after.

Moreover, loading up on vocab first would delay the most motivating part of language acquisition, namely
actual communication with native speakers, though maybe not all learners would agree with this, I suppose.
It's certainly demoralizing to think you have spent years learning a language and still can't engage in an
actual discussion. Not to mention that without real life experience in the language, determining which 10,000
words should be learned is a bit of a shot in the dark. Statistics would only answer part of the question.

I defer to you and other more experienced language learners for the most part on deciding what is the "best"
way to do anything. All I know is what's working for me. My number one priority as a first time foreign
language learner is to not quit, so for the time being I've chosen to invest time in that which I am most
comfortable doing. It seems to be working. As for seeing collocations and how words are used... that's the
whole purpose of reading.

Everyone has different reasons for learning a language, and my main motivation is the desire to not be a
"stupid American" and to have a more international outlook. I doubt that I am alone in thinking conversation
in the early stages is "scary" rather than "rewarding" and that learning to read a foreign newspaper brings
greater personal rewards at the beginning of my study than I would get out of a halting verbal exchange with
a native speaker.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 62 of 100
11 August 2011 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
oldearth wrote:
I defer to you and other more experienced language learners for the
most part on
deciding what is the "best" way to do anything. All I know is what's working for me.
My number
one priority as a first time foreign language learner is to not quit, so for the
time being
I've chosen to invest time in that which I am most comfortable doing. It seems to be
working. As
for seeing collocations and how words are used... that's the whole purpose of reading.

Everyone has different reasons for learning a language, and my main motivation is the
desire to
not be a "stupid American" and to have a more international outlook. I doubt that I am
alone in
thinking conversation in the early stages is "scary" rather than "rewarding" and that
learning to
read a foreign newspaper brings greater personal rewards at the beginning of my study
than I would
get out of a halting verbal exchange with a native speaker.

You are definitely right that the most important thing is not giving up, and in that
respect, doing what you enjoy most is certainly valuable; however, you shouldn't assume
that because something is comfortable, it's necessarily what's best for you. If members
come and challenge what you say is best for you, it's because they are challenging you
to push your limits, to step out of your comfort zone and see what else might work for
you.

As for speaking, the first step is speaking to yourself. Next would be to speak to a
language partner or a tutor. I certainly didn't imply to strike up conversations with
strangers right off the bat.

Edited by Arekkusu on 11 August 2011 at 2:36am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 100
11 August 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:

Tant pis (Fr Never mind/Ah well) being one that I understand and use, probably incorrectly, but could never decipher the literal translation.

tant pis = so much worse

As for the chunks I did mean chunks, not connectors. I did a search in Google on "chunks language" and in the very first example I found not only "by the way", but also the following definition:

"Language as used by native speakers consists substantially of memorized multi-word chunks (e.g. by the way)." (Helbling)

No. 2 said this:

"Chunks are groups of words – ‘Have a nice day.’ is a chunk, and so are ‘ID card’, ‘of vital importance’, ‘no problem’ – in fact any string of words that are regularly and often found together – either written or spoken." (Fielding)

No. 3 this:

In studies of language acquisition, several words that are customarily used together in a fixed expression, such as "in my opinion," "to make a long story short," "How are you?" or "Know what I mean?"

I find these definitions too vague and general to be of any use - it seems that even "fixed expression" would be a 'chunk' according to the two last definitions. On the other hand 'connector' seems to be used mostly about conjunctions, i.e. mostly about single words with quite specific syntactical roles. And "filler" doesn't cover the cases where a chunk is used in a constructive way.

So the loss of 'chunk' as a meaningfuld and useful term means that we don't have a term for expressions consisting of several words which are used in a rather loose way to glue conversations together.

Edited by Iversen on 11 August 2011 at 3:58am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 64 of 100
11 August 2011 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

I find these definitions too vague and general to be of any use - it seems that even "fixed expression" would be a 'chunk' according to the two last definitions. On the other hand 'connector' seems to be used mostly about conjunctions, i.e. mostly about single words with quite specific syntactical roles. And "filler" doesn't cover the cases where a chunk is used in a constructive way.

So the loss of 'chunk' as a meaningfuld and useful term means that we don't have a term for expressions consisting of several words which are used in a rather loose way to glue conversations together.

I think this is confusing things even more. If I remember something by Splog on conversational connectors, there are many multi-word connectors in addition to the usual conjunctions. Anthony Lauder is the person who has popularized the notion of conversational connectors. Here is a quote from his website (http://www.anthonylauder.com/):

"A Springboard

When I teach people about conversational intimacy, I give them a “starter pack” of about 100 connectors, and I present them here.

There is nothing magical about these 100 or so connectors. They are just a springboard to get people going.

As soon as possible you should be throwing out connectors from the starter pack that you don’t find useful and adding connectors you come across in real-life.

I like to break the connectors into ten groups, based on the type of thing they do in a conversation:
Opening Connectors

Opening connectors are used when somebody has just asked a question, and you want to start answering it.

thank you heartily

děkuji srdečně

that is a good question

to je dobrá otázka

that is such a difficult question

to je taková těžká otázka

once upon a time, long ago

kdysi, dávno

When you are asked a question, it can put you on the spot. Your mind can go blank, and soon you don't know how to even start answering.

Opening connectors are really useful for getting the first few words out of your mouth (“breaking the silence”) while you settle down to give the real answer to the question.

Imagine you are asked where you are from, and your brain is racing to first fully comprehend the question and second to come up with an answer.

You can get some breathing space by starting out with:

“To je dobrá otázka ...” then once the momentum is going your brain relaxes and it is much easier to keep going and say “… (I am from England) jsem z Anglie”
Filler Connectors

Filler connectors are throw-away phrases you can insert when you need a little more thinking time.

They give the illusion of deep pondering, or sharing something personal, which is exactly what you want while you think of what you are going to say next:

understandably

pochopitelně

frankly speaking

upřímě řečeno"

Nowhere does Lauder speak of "chunks." A multi-word conversational marker is undoubtedly a chunk as defined above by nearly all the observers in the field, but not all chunks are conversational markers. Now, Iversen can use the word chunk in an idiosyncratic way, but I'm simply pointing out that this usage is a) neither necessary nor useful, b) confusing and c) in disagreement with current practice in the field.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version