justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 51
14 September 2011 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
thanks!

(and yes, posting brief excerpts for the purpose of a review is both 100% legal and ethical)
1 person has voted this message useful

starrye
United States
Joined 4894 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 51
16 September 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Well, since my copy just arrived, here you guys go, a small snippet of the Japanese version. The book has a fair amount of furigana in it, though not with all words, and only the first time a word is introduced. Yup, hope this is ok to post....

ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石

プリベット通り四番地の住人ダーズリー夫妻 (ふさい)は、「おかげさまで、私どもはど こから見てもまともな人間です」というのが 自慢(じまん)だった。不思議(ふしぎ)と か神秘(しんぴ)とかそんな非常識(ひじょ うしき)はまるっきり認めない人種(じんし ゅ)で、まか不思議な出来事(できごと)が 彼らの周辺(しゅうへん)で起こるなんて、 とうてい考えられなかった。

Edited by starrye on 16 September 2011 at 3:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 51
16 September 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
kagemusha wrote:
I just got the Harry Potter French Junior edition. Written for 8 - 12 year olds. About
150 pages I think.

Could you post a link to this? I searched amazon.fr for "harry potter junior", and got some books which say "folio junior" on the cover, but the page numbers are the same as the other editions of the books.

kagemusha
United States
Joined 4724 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes

Message 12 of 51
16 September 2011 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
kagemusha wrote:
I just got the Harry Potter French Junior edition.
Written for 8 - 12 year olds. About
150 pages I think.

Could you post a link to this? I searched amazon.fr for "harry potter junior", and got
some books which say "folio junior" on the cover, but the page numbers are the same as
the other editions of the books.

http://www.amazon.fr/Harry-Potter-%C3%A0-l%C3%A9cole-sorcier s/dp/2070612368/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1316208841&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-LEcole-Sorciers-French/dp /2070612368/

ISBN-10: 2070612368
ISBN-13: 978-2070612369

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4661 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 51
17 September 2011 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
I just started doing this the other day. It is pretty fun, espeically if you have the audio. Couple questions. What is the ideal time frame for this? Like how much a day should I be doing this? I have switched back and forth from an E-text with Lingoes to having both in English and German next to each other. Now I want to try reading the chapter in English first then in German. We'll see how that goes.

I think I'll do Narnia next. But, I'm not done with Assimil and I can understand about 50% of it, the context sure helps. It feels nice to have native material to look at and follow along to while feeling like you can understand a decent amount of it.

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5027 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 14 of 51
22 September 2011 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Here’s the first paragraph of the first book in Spanish, Italian, French, and Irish. You really should keep in mind, though, that each book in the series is harder than the previous one, so that by the time you get to the seventh book, the style, detail, and difficulty level is pretty radically different from that of the first book. This might be good for helping you to “grow” in the language at any rate.

A couple of people have mentioned the Chronicles of Narnia on this thread. I’ve used them also, and I’ve got to say that I think they are better to start with than Harry Potter. They are easier and shorter than the Potter books, so they should cause less aggravation than trying to puzzle through Potter at the very start of your foreign language reading. After Narnia, you should be better prepared for Potter 1 (indeed, even some of the more specialized vocabulary overlaps: witch, magic, Centaurs, giants, unicorns, etc.). However, if you really want to get going with Potter then you should still be able to jump right in, though it will be a bit more difficult.

Spanish:

“El señor y la señora Dursley, que vivían en el número 4 de Privet Drive, estaban orgullosos de decir que eran muy normales, afortunadamente. Eran las últimas personas que se esperaría encontrar relacionadas con algo extraño o misterioso, porque no estaban para tales tonterías.”

Italian:

“Il signore e la signora Dursley, di Privet Drive numero 4, erano orgogliosi di poter affermare che erano perfettamente normali, e grazie tante. Erano le ultime persone al mondo da cui aspettarsi che avessero a che fare con cose strane o misteriose, perché sciocchezze del genere proprio non le approvavano.”

French:

“Mr et Mrs Dursley, qui habitaient au 4, Privet Drive, avaient toujours affirmé avec la plus grande fierté qu'ils étaient parfaitement normaux, merci pour eux. Jamais quiconque n'aurait imaginé qu'ils puissent se trouver impliqués dans quoi que ce soit d'étrange ou de mystérieux. Ils n'avaient pas de temps à perdre avec des sornettes.”

Irish (Gaelic):

“Bhí cónaí ar mhuintir Dursley in uimhir a ceathair Privet Drive, agus é le maíomh acu go raibh said an-normálta go deo, agus iad breá sásta de. Ba iad an dream deireanach iad a samhlófá rud ar bith ait ná aduain leo, mar ní raibh luí ar bith acu le hamaidí den sórt sin.”

Edited by RMM on 22 September 2011 at 4:58am

4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5009 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 51
22 September 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
kagemusha wrote:
I just got the Harry Potter French Junior edition. Written for 8 - 12 year olds. About 150 pages I think.

Could you post a link to this? I searched amazon.fr for "harry potter junior", and got some books which say "folio junior" on the cover, but the page numbers are the same as the other editions of the books.

A brief clarification: This French language edition is 312 pages; the text seems to be the same (translated, of course) as the original English-language (UK and Canada) edition, which is 223 pages. The page numbers don't match, as the French paperback is smaller: approx an inch shorter and quarter-inch narrower than the English book. But the French book is a translation of the English.

- Just in case Kagemusha's phrasing and low estimate of page numbers leads anyone to think there's a simpler, easier-reading version of HP targeted specifically at the younger reader (or the older language learner...): There isn't. And just as well, otherwise those of us trying to read parallel-text copies would have a heck of time figuring out abridgements, edits, and other changes in any (un-) "simple" versions.

The ISBN for my copy is the same as Kagemusha's 13-digit one. (Some books have double ISBNs, one 10-digits, and another with 13 digits; my understanding is that this is part of a process of ISBN changes; they're all [?] eventually moving from 10 to 13 digits.)

So Jeffers, go ahead and order the 300+ page edition if you wish. It'll match your English language copy.

(Edited for punctuation.)

Edited by songlines on 23 September 2011 at 3:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6924 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 16 of 51
22 September 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Here's the first bit in Turkish:

Privet Drive dört numarada oturan Mr ve Mrs Dursley, son derece normal olduklarını
söylemekten gurur duyarladı, sağ olun efendim. Garip ya da gizemli işlere buluşacak son
kişilerdi, böyle saçmalıklara kafa yormazlardı çünkü.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love Harry Potter as a learning tool. I started reading
it in Turkish when I understood one word in four, and saw noticeable progress
every day.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version