Joined 4991 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 33 of 51
20 June 2012 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
and of course "The Hobbit"

I'm reading _The Hobbit_ in Spanish right now and am about 85% of the way through it. I think it's a fun read.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4756 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 34 of 51
20 June 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
I also started with Harry Potter in Czech but gave up. I think Narnia is much easier to read. At the moment I am reading Alchymista from Paulo Coelho in Czech. There isn't so much fairy-tale vocabulary in there :)

Edited by Wompi on 20 June 2012 at 8:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 51
20 June 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Slightly off, but do many people read "The Lord of the Rings" (and of course "The
Hobbit") in their TLs? (as it's another universally popular and presumably widely
translated book)

I have read both in Esperanto and before that in English - not in Danish.

I have only read the Potter books in English, but if I ever return to reread the whole series I would want to read each book in a new language. Besides I have thought about starting a collection of Asterixes ('Asteriges' ?) in the 'relevant' languages, i.e. the Spanish tale in Spanish, the one about the olympics in Greek and the one about the English in English. So far I have only read Asterix in Danish, French and Latin.

Edited by Iversen on 20 June 2012 at 1:58pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 36 of 51
20 June 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Asteroi?
songlines wrote:
kanewai wrote:
There are complaints on Amazon that some of the translations are 'abridged' versions. I don't think they were junior versions so much as that whole sections were deleted.

If true, that's surprising, considering how protective Rowling has been of her franchise.    Do you remember which language editions the complainants were talking about?    ...

(And a corollary question: were the complainants certain that they were reading official translations/editions?)

I don't always trust Amazon reviewers - a lot of them have hidden biases and agendas - so I can't vouch for these complaints. Hopefully someone on here can address them!

Both of these versions of Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers appear to be "Junior Folio" editions translated by Jean-François Ménard, with 311-330 pages (different vendors give different page numbers!)

Most of the reviews are positive, but the following three gave me pause:

The English version of this book is great. Unfortunately, the French translation is dreadful. The translator apparently became bored with the book and has left out ENTIRE PAGES of the story. It is probably the worst translation I have ever read of any book.

I ordered this book for a French speaking child of 11. I needed a gift for her and thought that she might enjoy reading the Harry Potter books. When I received the book I was shocked. It was a very slim paperback and not the book I expected. I thought it was very expensive for what it was - $13.57. I would not have ordered it had I realized what I was getting.

Great book especially to learn French with. Keep in mind that it is abridged, wasn't aware of that when I bought it.

Edited by kanewai on 20 June 2012 at 9:42pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 51
20 June 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Hm, my edition of the first book in Italian has exactly 300 pages and nothing is left out.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4478 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 38 of 51
20 June 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I don't always trust Amazon reviewers - a lot of them have hidden biases and agendas - so I can't vouch for these complaints. Hopefully someone on here can address them!

It is apparently true that the translator has cut "many" passages from the original book. You can read more about it here: http://rernould.perso.neuf.fr/h1PottFr.html

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 39 of 51
21 June 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
   Besides I have thought about starting a collection of Asterixes
('Asteriges' ?) in the 'relevant' languages, i.e. the Spanish tale in Spanish, the one
about the olympics in Greek and the one about the English in English. So far I have only
read Asterix in Danish, French and Latin.

An Italian friend told me that in their versions, the "SPQR" on the Romans' shields (or
wherever) gets rendered as "Sono pazzi, questi Romani".
:-)

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5009 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 51
22 June 2012 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I don't always trust Amazon reviewers - a lot of them have hidden biases and agendas - so I can't vouch for these
complaints. Hopefully someone on here can address them! ...
Most of the reviews are positive, but the following three gave me pause:

The English version of this book is great. Unfortunately, the French translation is dreadful. The translator
apparently became bored with the book and has left out ENTIRE PAGES of the story. It is probably the worst
translation I have ever read of any book.

For HP and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, I generally read one or two English chapters, then followed it with
a reading of the French chapters. I didn't do a line-by-line comparison of the two versions, except in (the many,
due to my French level at that time) cases where I didn't understand the French, and went back to consult the
relevant English sentences. But I certainly didn't notice "entire pages" being omitted.   I'll probably re-read it as a
LR exercise during the next Tadoku Challenge, so will report back in the (unlikely, I feel) event that I find pages
which have been left untranslated.

Quote:
(2nd Amazon review quoted above:) I ordered this book for a French speaking child of 11. I needed a
gift for her and thought that she might
enjoy reading the Harry Potter books. When I received the book I was shocked. It was a very slim paperback and
not the book I expected. I thought it was very expensive for what it was - $13.57. I would not have ordered it had
I realized what I was getting.

Quote:
(3rd Amazon review quoted above:) Great book especially to learn French with. Keep in mind that it is
abridged, wasn't aware of that when I
bought it.

The original, in English, is actually only 223 pages. That is, "only" compared with the 600/700+ pages of some
of the last volumes. I suspect that the authors of those two particular Amazon reviews were more familiar with
the later volumes, and either didn't realize - or had forgotten - how "slim" Rowling's opening book in the series
actually is.

See also my reply to a later post below.

p.s. Your "asteroi" made me laugh, Kanewai.

Edited by songlines on 22 June 2012 at 5:08pm

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version