Joined 5009 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 51
22 June 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:

It is apparently true that the translator has cut "many" passages from the original book. You can read more about
it here: http://rernould.perso.neuf.fr/h1PottFr.html

Thanks for posting the link, Vermillion. A quick note: I haven't yet had time to fully read the sections on Book 3
(Prisoner of Azkhaban) - just had a quick scan of it, and haven't started the link on Book 4 (Goblet of Fire) at all.   

The section on Book 1 doesn't deal with significant cuts, although Ernould mentions "En revanche, un autre
camarade, Parvati Palil (sic), disparaît carrément de la traduction française... " . For what it's worth, I spotted
only *one* mention of Parvati Patil in the English version, and it's matched in the French translation. (p. 110
English, p 155 French in the version with the three black-garbed students + Hedwig on the cover). Keener
readers may perhaps be able to say if she appears more frequently than that in the English original. (Or perhaps
someone with an e-book version could just do a quick text search..?)

It also doesn't sound as if Ernould realized that the American edition was marketed under the title "Harry Potter
and the Sorcerer's Stone", given his comments on the title change.

As mentioned above, I may re-read Philosopher's Stone (and, if I'm feeling really keen, perhaps also Chamber of
Secrets) through LR. If I re-tackle Book 2, I'll keep an eye out for the cuts Ernould mentioned as being " coupes
... quasi-systématiques, une phrase toutes les deux pages en moyenne".

Of course, as a general principle, translators should remain as faithful as possible to the original texts, but:
(i) I'm not sure how much was actually cut; whether perhaps Ernould may have been (perhaps unintentionally)
exaggerating.
(ii) If the cuts were indeed numerous, whose decision it was to make them.
(iii) Whatever cuts there were didn't spoil the book for me. The series was (sufficiently) enjoyable, but it's not (in
my opinion) deathless prose, nor something crafted so that each and every little word counted. To tell the
truth, there were many times during my reading of Books 2-4 when I felt her (English) editors could have
wielded a far, far sharper pencil.

Die-hard Harry Potter fans, of course, may beg to differ.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 51
22 June 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
To tell the truth, there were many times during my reading of Books 2-4 when I felt her (English) editors could have wielded a far, far sharper pencil.
Yeah she said some of her own wording makes her cringe when rereading the books.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 43 of 51
23 June 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
songlines wrote:
To tell the truth, there were many times during my
reading of Books 2-4 when I felt her (English) editors could have wielded a far, far
sharper pencil.
Yeah she said some of her own wording makes her cringe when
rereading the books.

I didn't find the English too bad, generally speaking.
But it seemed a shame that Harry was given such boring, humourless, inarticulate
dialogue to speak, most of the time. I know he was meant to be going through the
stroppy teenager phase, but most of the time I found him to be a PITA and it was only
the other characters that made me want to carry on reading. It did get a bit better
towards the end. Maybe that was him maturing.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 51
07 August 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I meant to post this link on Harry & JKR birthday, but the forum was gone...
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Muggles'_Guide_to_Harry_Potter/ Books
It's nice for noticing all the parallels and connections. It's also a good way to get a summary of every chapter before reading it in your target language, without the need to reread the whole thing in English.
I celebrated the birthday by rereading all the birthdays :) this amounted to 150 super challenge pages, not bad.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 51
07 August 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I have read all the books in English, and if I ever read all that stuff again it will most assuredly not be in the same language once more - it must be in something else, and not Danish because my sister has read all the books in that language. We try not to overlap.

Unfortunately I have just bought the first volume (the one with the stone) in Irish so I'll have to learn Irish before I can start my repetition round.

It's a complicated world, and everything we do apparently makes it more complicated.

PS: in which language do you cast spells in the Latin edition? Esperanto?

Edited by Iversen on 07 August 2012 at 4:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 46 of 51
07 August 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

PS: in which language do you cast spells in the Latin edition? Esperanto?

I thought the spells would be Greek, but it says here that the "names of incantations remain the same as the original" (see post #3). That makes sense, I guess. In the French edition of HP and the Goblet of Fire, the Beauxbatons students still speak French, but the text is italicized. In the Spanish edition, the French characters butcher Spanish, and it sounds kind of weird when George tells Harry that Fleur ha aceptado un empleo en Gringotts para "pegfeccionag" su inglés...

Edited by espejismo on 07 August 2012 at 5:17pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 47 of 51
07 August 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
It sounds very cool imo!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 48 of 51