Hong KongRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4375 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English, Cantonese*, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 25 of 51
16 May 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
kagemusha wrote:
I just got the Harry Potter French Junior edition. Written for 8 - 12 year olds. About
150 pages I think. When I get through that, I can probably move up to the standard
edition.

Are you serious? There are junior edition in French for Harry Potter???Where can i buy it??
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5009 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 51
17 May 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
roseblythe1995 wrote:
kagemusha wrote:
I just got the Harry Potter French Junior edition. Written for 8 -
12 year olds. About
150 pages I think. When I get through that, I can probably move up to the standard
edition.

Are you serious? There are junior edition in French for Harry Potter???Where can i buy it??

Sorry to disappoint you, but: nope, there isn't a "junior edition". See message 15 in this thread, for a clarification
I posted for Kagemusha, Jeffers, and now, I hope, also you.

Edited by songlines on 17 May 2012 at 4:33am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 27 of 51
17 May 2012 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
there isn't a "junior edition". See message 15 in this thread, for a clarification I posted for Kagemusha, Jeffers, and now, I hope, also you.

There are complaints on Amazon that some of the translations are 'abridged' versions. I don't think they were junior versions so much as that whole sections were deleted.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4659 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 28 of 51
17 May 2012 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Harry Potter a Kámen mudrců (Czech):
"Dopis?" opakovala profesorka McGonagallová chabým hlasem a posadila se zpátky na zídku. "Vy si vážně myslíte, Brumbále, že to všechno dokážete vysvětlit jedním dopisem? Ti lidé tady ho nikdy niepochopí!"

Гаррі Поттер і філософський камінь (Ukrainian):
"Глопчік, що вижив

Містер і місіс Дурслі, що жили в будинку номер чотири на вуличці Прівіт-драйв, пішаліся тим, що були, слава Боґу, абсолютно нормальнимі. Коґо-коґо, але тількі не їх можна було б запідозрити, що вони повязані з таємницями чи дивами, бо такими дурницями вони не цікавилися."

(Gosh, how I miss Ukrainian... but sorry, Russian first...)

Edited by prz_ on 17 May 2012 at 3:03am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5009 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 51
17 May 2012 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

There are complaints on Amazon that some of the translations are 'abridged' versions. I don't think they were
junior
versions so much as that whole sections were deleted.

If true, that's surprising, considering how protective Rowling has been of her franchise.    Do you remember
which language editions the complainants were talking about? I can say (having ploughed my way through pages
and pages...) that the French volumes up to #4 (Goblet of Fire) have certainly not been abridged. (The
Spanish and German copies I've seen in a local second-hand store also seemed to have the full
complement of pages, though - not having read them - I can't say if the full text was included.)

(And a corollary question: were the complainants certain that they were reading official translations/
editions?)

Edited by songlines on 17 May 2012 at 4:32am

nowayyy
Bilingual Triglot
Germany
Joined 5119 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, German*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 30 of 51
15 June 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
There are no legal abridged versions of the Harry Potter books. Just look up the publishers of the books in your target languages and you should have no problems. Also, I don't see why anyone would want an abridged version, I think the details and the description of the world of Harry Potter is one of the best parts of reading them.
I have read the whole series in French and likes the way they translated even word plays and even added some more for example The Sorting Hat = Choixpeau ( combination of choix= choice and chapeau = hat)
I also have read the whole series in German several times ( I'm a really big Potter fan by the way) and did not like some translations. For example the game "Exploding Snap" was translated as " Snape Explodiert" which means " Snape is exploding" which really changes the context somehow, eventhough it's not relevant for the storyline. ( Snape is a character in the books, and snap is a card game not known in Germany. They should have just picked another popular card game for example "Explodierendes Mau Mau")
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 31 of 51
19 June 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Slightly off, but do many people read "The Lord of the Rings" (and of course "The
Hobbit") in their TLs? (as it's another universally popular and presumably widely
translated book)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 51
20 June 2012 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
It deserves a separate thread :P
Yes, I've read it in Finnish (great translation!!!). I've also LR'ed parts of The Hobbit in Spanish and German. I'd love to read it in Portuguese but IDK how to get the books, as I'm unwilling to order online.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version