Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
58 messages over 8 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5954 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 9 of 58
12 October 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
If I had enough time, I'd study the languages listed as "studying" in my profile. Seriously though, I seem to have no time for languages anymore and it's depressing. Except for German and Japanese, pretty much all of those "studying"s are blatant lies.

To answer the actual question: Arabic, Polish, Romanian, Icelandic, Hungarian, Georgian, Mandarin, Hebrew, and a lot more.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 58
12 October 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Everything.

Well, everything I found interesting, at least.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 58
12 October 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
If I had enough time, I'd study the languages listed as "studying" in my profile.

I second that. Right now I can't find time for even the languages on my study list. Well, maybe if I found 10-15 minutes per language to be "enough", but for the moment I don't.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5276 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 12 of 58
12 October 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
For me there's a difference between the languages I really should study and those I want to study.

I really should perfect my Japanese. I still make far too many careless mistakes when speaking and have been resting on my laurels for the last few years.

I really ought to try harder to keep up my somewhat neglected Russian and appallingly neglected German. What a waste of all those hundreds and thousands of hours of toil to just let these languages go.

I also should pick up Polish again, especially since I'm always going on about how much I regret giving it up after two years of classroom study.

And I should probably get a bit better at French, seeing as I studied it for eight years at school, and maybe even Thai, since I spent all that money on 6 months of lessons and Thailand is right on my doorstep (relatively, anyway).

BUT, who wants to do all those sensible things when there is Albanian, and Armenian, and Mongolian, and Latvian, and Sakha, and all those other completely useless but hugely intruguing languages from obscure ex-communist countries :) I'm beyond help...
3 persons have voted this message useful

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4741 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 13 of 58
12 October 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
For me there's a difference between the languages I really should study and those I want to study.

I really should perfect my Japanese. I still make far too many careless mistakes when speaking and have been resting on my laurels for the last few years.

I really ought to try harder to keep up my somewhat neglected Russian and appallingly neglected German. What a waste of all those hundreds and thousands of hours of toil to just let these languages go.

I also should pick up Polish again, especially since I'm always going on about how much I regret giving it up after two years of classroom study.

And I should probably get a bit better at French, seeing as I studied it for eight years at school, and maybe even Thai, since I spent all that money on 6 months of lessons and Thailand is right on my doorstep (relatively, anyway).

BUT, who wants to do all those sensible things when there is Albanian, and Armenian, and Mongolian, and Latvian, and Sakha, and all those other completely useless but hugely intruguing languages from obscure ex-communist countries :) I'm beyond help...

Laughed for over a minute about this...! Every time I think that Mandarin is getting more and more difficult, my mind will wander to Tibetan or Shanghainese or Sindarin or Klingon or...

Edited by zhanglong on 12 October 2011 at 1:21pm

Deerhound
Triglot
England
Joined 4717 days ago

30 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Toki Pona
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Greek, Latin, Welsh

Message 14 of 58
18 October 2011 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
All the languages in the world xD

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5215 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 15 of 58
19 October 2011 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Luckily, all I want to learn are only 5 languages in my lifetime: Latin, Ancient Greek,
Sanskrit, Classical Chinese and German. So, if I'm 23 now, and I live to be at least 85
like most men in my family, I have enough time even if I learn one language per decade.

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 58
19 October 2011 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Swedish isn't on my list, but I really liked the country when I was there. I definitely
wouldn't need to learn it if/when I go back since so many people there speak English, but
it is tempting. One day in the future in a moment of weakness, I might start it.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version