Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5667 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 17 of 58
19 October 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Every most 3 important member of each language family. (for example for Slavic languages:
Russian, Czech and Polish etc.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 58
19 October 2011 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
What would I study if I could quit my job, had money to travel and pay the teachers I needed?

Oooh - My mouth waters...

Ok. I would learn Russian properly,then Polish and Ukrainian. I would learn Greek to as high a level as I possibly could, I would learn Hebrew and Arabic, and I might have a go at Mandarin (I have a secret dream that one of my kids will go to China to study, and I could just tag along). I would take Dutch and possibly Turkish and - oops. I think that just took me to age 85, so I'll then stop learning new languages and just brush up the ones I have learned.

I just had a glorious thought of selling everything I have, and just go travelling and learning languages the rest of my life, until my daughters need me to come back and babysit my future grand children. Motivation? Born with it :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 19 of 58
19 October 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I'd love to travel around and pick up whatever dialect people are speaking. It would be easy to travel upwards to learn Platt. If I don't get stuck in some pub somewhere learning the local speech I'd have to go to Japan - I've never been there and I'd like to talk about the time I worked in Little Tokyo during the 失われた10年.

Again, I'd have to travel around to see what I could pick up. Sometimes it's good to hear a language spoken in its surroundings. The only problem is I'm afraid I'd get stuck somewhere. I tend to stay with the language that I pick. I stay until there's nothing left to learn. That means I'll probably never add anything new to my "studies" list!

Edited by Sunja on 19 October 2011 at 9:58pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5541 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 20 of 58
19 October 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
What I would study if I had enough time, assuming I had 2 hours of free time everyday for an indefinite number of years? I say 2 hours, because that's about as long as I can concentrate at a time. I'd also study them one at a time, although I often try to study more than one language at a time since I'm imptient. I once even tried to study 3 languages simultaneously, but I only lasted for 4 days.

My list would look something like the following:

Spanish: I haven't really properly studied it since early August and would really like to learn it as well as I could.

French: Another major language, one that I've studied before, and one with a great culture and literature. Plus Assimil publishes over 40 language courses in French.

German: I've always wanted to learn it because I love the way it sounds, I have some German ancestry, and the literature is great.

Italian: I like opera, Dante, the cuisine, and the sound of the language. I don't know how practical it would be, which is the reason I'm not studying it now.

Japanese: I studied the history and culture at university, and was in awe of their traditional culture. I'm not a fan of their pop culture, though.

Portuguese: It took me awhile to like the sound of the language, but I think it sounds like a more fun version of Spanish.

Esperanto: I'm fascinated by conlangs, although I'm still not sure if I like it, but I've dabbled with it in the past, and might continue studying it in the future when I'm not busy with other languages. I would like the experience of chatting on the Internet with 8 different people in 8 different countries using a conlang we all learned.

Russian: Great literature, although I'd definitely read the English translation before I'd committ myself to it.

Latin: I've always wanted to learn it.

Chinese & Arabic: 2 languages I wish I had more interest in, but I don't really like them for some reason. I'd definitely like to dabble in them if I had the time to see if I like them. Plus I think understanding the cultures that these languages represent would be very important.

Koine Greek, Biblical Hebrew, & Aramaic: I've had an increased interest in Christianity in the past few weeks, and would like to read the Bible in the original languages. It would be nice, but isn't essential.

Slovene, Dutch, & Polish: The other languages of my ancestors (that I know of). German seems to be the only heritage language that is actually practical to learn at the moment, though.

A wildcard language: I may become great friends with a person who speaks a language other than English, and in that case it would go to the top of my list.

Would I actually learn 17 languages? Probably not. If I learn Spanish well, I'd be happy with myself. My ambition is to be able to read a newspaper in 6 languages, although I don't know what all of them would be (Spanish, French, German, and Italian, but I don't know about the other 2).

I have my work cut out for me, LOL.

VityaCo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6893 days ago

79 posts - 86 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 21 of 58
20 October 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
My Favorite is Japanese and do not ask why.
Just adore it.

Dr. POW
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4777 days ago

48 posts - 58 votes 
Studies: German, English*
Studies: French

Message 22 of 58
20 October 2011 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I can't really imagine having so many languages in my mind. I'd certainly go insane. :P

But I've always wanted to check out Latin and Italian, along with the French and German
I'm studying right now.

Latin will definitely help me in Biology and Chemistry class. Learning things past the
roots that I can use to derive meanings from words will be a bonus (or a chore). Then I
can stop second-guessing every fourth word in my science textbooks.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6933 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 23 of 58
20 October 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

Belorussian - I have a thing for fairly low profile languages, and it doesn't seem as maddeningly complicated in spelling as Russian.

Eh?!!!

Are you sure you mean Russian? Russian spelling is very simple.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 58
20 October 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Chung wrote:

Belorussian - I have a thing for fairly low profile languages, and it doesn't seem as maddeningly complicated
in spelling as Russian.

Eh?!!!

Are you sure you mean Russian? Russian spelling is very simple.

I am sure Russian feels easy if you are used to Japanese, but I would call Russian spelling anything but
easy. I do not know any Belorussian myself, but I have understood that their spelling is closer to the actual
pronunciation.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version