Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 58
20 October 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
It seems New York now has the largest number of expat communities anywhere on the planet, which is why there were some conservation efforts started. Hearing that made me want to go to the US for the first time in my life. I don't know which languages, but there surely would pop up some for me to learn.

And, Mongolian. Mongolian rocks. I don't know which variant, but I suspect they all sound equally awesome.
1 person has voted this message useful

Dreey
Canada
Joined 4635 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 26 of 58
20 October 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I would learn Russian and Czech! I'd like to learn Portugese and Japanese as well!

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6933 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 27 of 58
20 October 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Chris wrote:
Chung wrote:

Belorussian - I have a thing for fairly low profile languages, and it doesn't seem as maddeningly complicated
in spelling as Russian.

Eh?!!!

Are you sure you mean Russian? Russian spelling is very simple.

I am sure Russian feels easy if you are used to Japanese, but I would call Russian spelling anything but
easy. I do not know any Belorussian myself, but I have understood that their spelling is closer to the actual
pronunciation.

I can't quite get my head around this one. When you've learned Russian Cyrillic, which is a lot easier than it looks, you can spell out Russian words easily, with just a couple of exceptions, namely the 'ogo' and 'ego' which are pronounced 'ovo' and 'yevo' and the odd spelling change based upon the preceding consonant and stress, but with a bit of writing practice, it becomes second nature.

I will concede that actual Russian pronunication, with its reduction and devoicing etc. is a bit different from what you learnw hen you learn the script, but once you've mastered the script, it isn't any more difficult to pronounce Russian than it would be to pronounce, say, French, for a non-native speaker.

I just don't get the issue here with Belorussian and Russian. In fact, once you know cyrillic, you'll find it far more compact for writing Slavic languages than the ones that used Roman letters. For example, the 'sczc' in Polish is represented by just one Cyrillic letter in Russian.

Learn Russian! It's a great language!

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6933 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 28 of 58
20 October 2011 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
It seems New York now has the largest number of expat communities anywhere on the planet, which is why there were some conservation efforts started. Hearing that made me want to go to the US for the first time in my life. I don't know which languages, but there surely would pop up some for me to learn.

And, Mongolian. Mongolian rocks. I don't know which variant, but I suspect they all sound equally awesome.

One of the major problems is locating resources. Maybe you have more resources in Germany, but for English speakers, there is precious little readily available, apart from 'Colloquial Mongolian' and 'Modern Mongolian' by John Gaunt, but I think it's out of print.

There are some resporces on this site: http://www.mongoliasociety.org but I didn't get a reply when I sent an email to try and buy some stuff, so I don't know how reliable it is.

Edited by Chris on 20 October 2011 at 5:18pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 29 of 58
20 October 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Chris wrote:
Chung wrote:

Belorussian - I have a thing for fairly low profile languages, and it doesn't seem as maddeningly complicated
in spelling as Russian.

Eh?!!!

Are you sure you mean Russian? Russian spelling is very simple.

I am sure Russian feels easy if you are used to Japanese, but I would call Russian spelling anything but
easy. I do not know any Belorussian myself, but I have understood that their spelling is closer to the actual
pronunciation.

I can't quite get my head around this one. When you've learned Russian Cyrillic, which is a lot easier than it looks, you can spell out Russian words easily, with just a couple of exceptions, namely the 'ogo' and 'ego' which are pronounced 'ovo' and 'yevo' and the odd spelling change based upon the preceding consonant and stress, but with a bit of writing practice, it becomes second nature.

I will concede that actual Russian pronunication, with its reduction and devoicing etc. is a bit different from what you learnw hen you learn the script, but once you've mastered the script, it isn't any more difficult to pronounce Russian than it would be to pronounce, say, French, for a non-native speaker.

I just don't get the issue here with Belorussian and Russian. In fact, once you know cyrillic, you'll find it far more compact for writing Slavic languages than the ones that used Roman letters. For example, the 'sczc' in Polish is represented by just one Cyrillic letter in Russian.

It's not Cyrillic at all as I've already learned to use Serbian and Ukrainian Cyrillic (and even then those took me no more than a few days of study to read and write) Thus learning any other Cyrillic-based alphabet would be quite easy.

The problem as you know is that modern Russian spelling is not that representative of the current pronunciation practices as it was of the earlier ones. The -ogo- ~ (ovo) thing is a pain but at least it's predictable when you realize it's just the pronunciation of the singular for masculine genitive and accusative animate. A bigger problem is in the example where I spelled xорошо as *xaрaшо* until someone corrected me saying that because the final syllable here is stressed, the o's are reduced. The converse is true as well in that I'm also more liable to butcher the pronunciation of something like xорошо ("khorosho") - again because of the noticeable lag between spelling and speaking practices. In contrast, I face fewer such difficulties with Belorussian whose spelling conventions somewhat better reflect the changes caused by vowel reduction.

Chris wrote:
Learn Russian! It's a great language!

I just don't share the same enthusiasm about it as you do. Russian culture hasn't interested me as much as those of the other Slavs either. However I may put myself eventually through some Russian course if only to use language learning materials for Uralic and Altaic languages that were designed for Russians.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ilcommunication
Diglot
United States
Joined 6504 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 30 of 58
20 October 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
@Chung, if you do opt for Belorussian, approximately a bit less than half of Belarus will think you're awesome. Can't tell you much about how difficult it is, though.

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4682 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 31 of 58
20 October 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
If I had the time?

Hm. Amharic and Albanian and Frisian. If I ever wind up in the right place, Iʻm sure I'll have the right excuse.

For now, I'll focus on what firming up what I already have. I'd like a better active vocabulary in Ancient Greek. I'd like
to read English from earlier centuries with greater facility. I wouldn't mind a more competent conversational grasp
on Spanish (or Italian). As for Latin, I'd like to really know the vowel quantities well enough to write a bit of
doggerel. I've added Persian to the mix, but that's going to be a slow drag.

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4893 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 32 of 58
20 October 2011 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
From the languages that I'm interested in, the only one that would cost me a huge amount
of time would be Japanese.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version