BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5045 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 9 of 107
24 December 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
In the middle of a lesson, my tones are great. When I leave the lesson to talk to use
the words on skype, my tones are horrible and completely unlike that of the ones I use
when following Assimil. This Sinosplice article describes where I'm at in the tone
learning process (the 3-Second memory stage)...

The Process Of Learning
Tones

On the bright side, when my language exchange partners use words that I've covered in
Assimil, I can hear and understand them. That makes me feel pretty good.

Finished lesson 25 today.

Edited by BobbyE on 24 December 2011 at 8:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4830 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 107
24 December 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
How do you do/go through a lesson?
Are you shadowing the lesson?
Or something entirely different?
1 person has voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5045 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 11 of 107
29 December 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
I am listening to the lesson either once, or many many times before I actually look at
it in the book. Then I listen to it while reading the English to get the jist of the
dialogue. Then I listen and read the pinyin, focusing on becoming familiar with the
new words and tones. Then I turn off the audio, and read the pinyin while looking at
the English to understand the words and sentences. Once I understand the words. I go
back to the audio and try to listen and understand it without reading anything, if I
totally forgot the meaning of a word or sentence, I'll go back to the book. Then I'll
play the audio sentence-by-sentence, pausing to repeat it correctly, and playing each
sentence and repeating as many times as it takes to get the words and intonation right.
When I feel like I've done a good amount of practice with that, I'll go back and look
at the notes and do the exercises. The next day I review that lesson relentlessly,
both listening and doing repetition. I'm heavy on listening because I resent my poor
listening skills in Spanish.
5 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5045 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 12 of 107
31 December 2011 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Tomorrow I am done with the 3rd out of 4 CD's of volume 1, and I realized how fast this
past month has flown by. Today I reviewed lessons 1-14, I'll review lessons 15-31
tomorrow. I was happy that between 1-14, I understand all of the dialogues and
exercises, first try and at the pace of the CD without pausing. I was really happy about
that.

Lesson 32 starts today.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5045 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 13 of 107
04 January 2012 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Lesson 37 kicked my ass. I really struggled with listening. Also, the relative clause
was introduced, which is completely opposite of English grammar, but I didn't feel like
that was very tough, it was just listening comprehension that I had a hard time with.

This lesson made me question how important it is for me to be able to listen to a lesson
with near flawless comprehension. Of course, as it is, tomorrow I will likely revisit
this lesson and my ear will have opened up and my comprehension will have improved.

Also, my friend's Assimil Chinese With Ease is arriving today or tomorrow, it's going to
be awesome having a friend to work with.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6177 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 107
04 January 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
It looks like you making good progress but the lessons get a lot harder after lesson 35. It will take a LOT of repeated listening if you want to be able to understand every word.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5045 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 15 of 107
05 January 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
thanks Eric, I'll keep that in mind. What do you think is the most important thing to
focus on in the passive phase?

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5045 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 16 of 107
05 January 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I start taking Mandarin 101 at college on Monday. I'd rather do it all with self-study,
but I need to take care of my college foreign language requirements to get a degree. The
teacher has amazing reviews, and I'm happy to know that even though she's teaching at my
community college, she's also the teacher at the university. She is a native Mandarin
speaker and I have a suspicion that she's a Taiwan native, which was confirmed when I
discovered that she's teaching Traditional Hanzi in class. I am actually really happy
about this because I'll be studying Simplified Hanzi at home with Assimil. Also, we are
using the Integrated Chinese textbook, ed.3, which people seem to enjoy, but most
importantly there is a Integrated Chinese workbook for writing both Simplified and
Traditional Hanzi. I think this should be a good way for me to review both forms of
writing once I'm at a more proficient level. Also, this allows me to use the NPCR series
for my self study.

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version