BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5064 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 57 of 107
03 March 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
JaryR9 - I think if you use Assimil after Pimsleur you'll be on good footing. I didn't
use Pims for Mandarin but I have used it for Spanish, and it definitely sent me in a good
direction.

smarg - "wo wan le" actually was a mistake. The construction I should have used was "wo
shuo-wan le" = "I'm done talking". "wo wan le" vaguely means something like "I'm dead",
haha.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5064 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 58 of 107
11 March 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
The utility of the relative clause seems to be one of the major keys between being a
complete beginner, and being a more advanced beginner/intermediate Mandarin speaker. I
love this aspect of Mandarin, and I especially like how the more I am exposed to it, the
more it makes sense without me even trying. The more usages I see it used for and the
different contexts just adds more depth to this one type of clause. It seems to be
pretty ubiquitous throughout Mandarin.

I'm completely done with the PP. Today I did AP 58.
1 person has voted this message useful

noshadow31
Diglot
Thailand
twitter.com/noshadow
Joined 4518 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Thai*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Mandarin

Message 59 of 107
19 March 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I just found your thread today and enjoy reading your log. :) I have just started
Assimil Mandarin course, currently at the 10th lesson (and it's only my 3rd day. I'm
very impatient >_<)

I have difficulties pronouncing certain sounds (lots of them, actually) and tones. My
brain can't process fast enough how 3rd tone should change to 2nd or half-3rd . T-T I
actually can't pronounce the normal 3rd tone itself.

Sorry for ranting in your thread but I'm curious to know what other learners do with
this problem. Do you guys master the pronunciation and tones presented in a lesson
first before moving on to the next lesson? If I have to do it that way, I'm afraid I
won't finish the course in this lifetime. LOL (I have really bad ears. For example,
I've been studying English my entire life and still can't differentiate between sh and
ch sounds. For Mandarin, I can't differentiate between c,ch,sh,q,j,z umm...I think
there're more but let's end it here T-T)

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4641 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 60 of 107
19 March 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
The third tone is basically the only low tone so if you can just use a lower tone of voice, it's a good beginning and
you should be able to perfect it in time. My advice would be to exaggerate the pronunciation at the beginning.
There are other things you can use to practice tones though, for instance FSI (which is free online) or Pimsleur (you
can maybe find it at your local library or make them order it), or websites such as :
http://www.shufawest.us/language/tonedrill.html
http://pinyin.quickmandarin.com/learn_chi
nese_quiz/tones_drill/

or even on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paulwtlZ2jc

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5064 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 61 of 107
20 March 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
noshadow31 - Honestly I wouldn't worry about speaking at all. I would pronounce the
lessons once or twice just to help me get a little bit familiar with the words
themselves, but you should focus more on listening because that will accustom you to the
native pronunciation of the tones. After your listening has conditioned your ear, visit
the pronunciation rules again and you'll see that they are actually quite easy and
natural to use. But, I'm no expert. This is how I'm doing it, we'll see how I do!

noshadow31
Diglot
Thailand
twitter.com/noshadow
Joined 4518 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Thai*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Mandarin

Message 62 of 107
20 March 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Homogenik, BobbyE <= Thank you so much ^_^ You guys answered my question so fast. :)

I think I'll follow BobbyE's advice since it matches with what I want to do LOL
I'll play with the websites you recommended though, Homogenik but can't say I'll work
hard at it (I'm rather lazy, you see)

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4641 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 63 of 107
20 March 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
I see but you'll find these sites to be kind of lazy too! One of them even whistles you (in a sexy way) when you get it
right. That ought to be encouraging...

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4699 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 64 of 107
20 March 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Very encouraging log, thanks! I was debating between FSI and Assimil for my more structured Mandarin time, and I might have to lean toward Assimil now...

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version