114 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 114
13 December 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Sure.

aw, just realized we could've used Źá too... it kind of looks more neat but I've already got used to Žá :) opinions?
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5736 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 50 of 114
14 December 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
I like Žá a little better.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 114
14 December 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
makes it clearer that we study Slavic languages, doesn't it? :)

tennisace
United States
Joined 5426 days ago

39 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Croatian, French

Message 52 of 114
16 December 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to say that I will hopefully post my TAC log soon. I'm really looking forward to next year!

AlephBey
Tetraglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4600 days ago

41 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi*, Urdu, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 53 of 114
18 December 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Dear captain and teammates, I now have:
a log!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 54 of 114
24 December 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What are your goals, are you trying to bridge this gap with Italian?
zecchino1991 wrote:
Well, I've never really been studying Italian per se. I have just learned it various ways
(mostly from music) over time. So I will continue learning it just as I always have. :)
I also meant whether I should add Italian to your list or not:) You don't have to be studying it seriously or have specific plans to have a language on your list:)

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5308 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English

Message 55 of 114
24 December 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I will join you. :o)

My current skills and plans for 2012

SLAVIC: I am a native speaker of Czech and native listener of Slovak (I was born in Czechoslovakia). I can understand Slovak perfectly, written or spoken, but when I try to speak or write it, I usually end speaking or writing Czech (or some mix of the languages). This is the result of the typical communication mode between Czechs and Slovaks - everybody speaks his or her own language and usually does not even notice, when somebody speaks the other language. I have also some very limited knowledge of Russian (basically I can read the alphabet and exploit cognates for limited communication while avoiding some well known false friends). I have no plans for any systematic study of Slavic languages in 2012 (but it is always good to learn something new, especially to expand the database of false friends in my brain).

ROMANCE: I have some very limited knowledge of Latin (one year of medical Latin long time ago). This year I want to learn Spanish from scratch. I will start with Pimsleur, one lesson each day and then I will see. Reasons? I already know Slavic and Germanic languages, now I need to learn a Romance language. And Spanish seems like a great choice for traveling, which is my great passion.

Apart from that, I will study German, hoping for fluent reading of biological texts by the end of the year (now I am a false beginner with almost zero knowledge). German is not a Slavic language, but still, I am again and again surprised by the similarities and unexpected cognates between Czech and German.

Edited by kyknos on 25 December 2011 at 12:20am

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5308 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English

Message 56 of 114
25 December 2011 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Ladies and getlemen, my log

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version