Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
114 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5059 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 105 of 114
14 March 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
So just do the ones you're using for this particular team. I think it sounds like a good idea!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 106 of 114
14 March 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
It's a site for writers :)
I think we can adapt the rules. In fact as long as your goal is something you can measure, I think it doesn't matter how exactly! It's fine with me if you count minutes, pages read, pages written, Assimil lessons, book2 pages... Anything will do:)
I also don't think it's necessary to limit this to your Romance/Slavic languages :) Though it would be fair if to be in you need to have at least one goal in one of them. So for example I can't do just Indonesian, I need to do, say, Portuguese in addition to it.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 107 of 114
14 March 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm game. Let me think of what realistic group of goals would be for me and which languages I want to include. Should we post here weekly on how well we're doing?

Also, would it be fair game to call time-out days (ahead of time) if we are going to be out of town or whatever? :-) We're going to my parents for the weekend next month, and there's no way I can get away with studying 5 or 6 languages every day while I'm there. =)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 108 of 114
14 March 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Time-out days are something I'd rather avoid tbh. Would you be able to keep up with fewer languages? Are there languages in which you always do something, provided you have time? Spanish, maybe?

I've just realized that over there the challenge goes on all year. I think it would be a good idea not to have it as such a high pressure thing here. They're writers, their goal is to get stuff written. We are language learners, our goal is to improve (they also want to improve as writers, but that's secondary to the main goal). You can improve a lot by consistently doing something in a language just for a month or even less.

Substituting would work better, imo. Say, listening to three Assimil lessons instead of doing one properly (whatever it means for you). Or listening to a podcast instead of reading. But a forced break is also a good opportunity to review your goals, your progress and change them.

Edit: Imo it's also fine if you set a goal only for weekdays or only for the weekends (like "watch a movie in Spanish every weekend").

Oh and it's best to update daily or as often as you visit the forum. Keeps yourself and others motivated.

Edited by Serpent on 14 March 2012 at 10:13pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 109 of 114
15 March 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Went ahead and started it:)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6957 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 110 of 114
21 July 2012 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
*cue start of (another) Public Service Announcement*

I recently stumbled on a big collection of texts from Logos that was just too good to keep in relative anonymity in my log or the "Links and Resources" sub-forum. I think that the links could be handy for any of you who want some practice with L-R or to have another source of texts in your target language(s).

For your purposes, here are the links to the material in Belorussian, Bulgarian, Croatian/Serbian, Catalan, Czech, French, Italian, Brazilian and European Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Ukrainian. There are also texts for even lesser-known Romance dialects/languages (e.g. Asturian, Genoese, Lombard, Piedmontese)

Click on the row of letters above the titles to get texts whose title starts with that letter. Texts with accompanying audio have a little blue speaker beside the title.

*cue end of Public Service Announcement*
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 111 of 114
05 December 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
So, I hope most of you are doing TAC 2013? :) ♥
In which team do you want to be? I have to say I'm far more keen on being in a team with specific awesome people than on having a Slavic/Romance team again:)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 112 of 114
10 December 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 

I'm in, of course. Do you want to keep the name or go with something different?

I apologize to everyone that I have been absent the last few weeks. For some reason, my mail decided to start sending HTLAL messages to the spam box. And I was so busy I didn't even notice it. =(

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version