Czech Republic
Joined 5297 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 81 of 114
06 January 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
don't tell the Poles, but they would have a far less confusing writing system if they used cyrillics

They do not need Cyrillic letters, they just need to reform their orthography (in the same way the Czech orthography was reformed in the 15th century).
3 persons have voted this message useful

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5297 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 82 of 114
08 January 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
If you want to communicate not only in the Slavic language you learn or already know, but also in other Slavic languages, you will find this table of false friends very useful.
3 persons have voted this message useful

BenMilim
Triglot
Germany
benmilim.blogspot.co
Joined 4505 days ago

25 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishC1, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 83 of 114
11 January 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone! I'd very much like to join this Team as I'm planning to study Russian and
French (Modern Hebrew as well, but it doesn't exactly fit your description ;) this year.
Would that still be possible at this point? Thanks in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5725 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 84 of 114
11 January 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
as Barry Farber put it, don't tell the Poles, but they would have a far less confusing writing system if they used cyrillics XDDD

Good luck:)
I knew it, I should have learned the Cyrillic alphabet sooner. I think the problems I had with Polish pronunciation last year were caused by looking at the written language first. When I saw words like "szczur" or "przypuszczam" I freaked out because I thought, "How will I ever say these words?" If the Poles would use щ, ж and ч I would have less worries about pronunciation and reading. Now that I am listening to Polish, but not trying to read it, I think that I will pronounce these words eventually.

Edited by mick33 on 11 January 2012 at 9:54am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 85 of 114
11 January 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
BenMilim wrote:
Hey everyone! I'd very much like to join this Team as I'm planning to study Russian and
French (Modern Hebrew as well, but it doesn't exactly fit your description ;) this year.
Would that still be possible at this point? Thanks in advance!
Yes, welcome!
Will you also be studying some Spanish? :) i mean it's in your profile:)
to participate, you need to make a log with the team name in the title:)

BenMilim
Triglot
Germany
benmilim.blogspot.co
Joined 4505 days ago

25 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishC1, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 86 of 114
11 January 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yes, welcome! Will you also be studying some Spanish? :) i mean it's in
your profile:) to participate, you need to make a log with the team name in the title:)

Thank you :) I did want to start studying Spanish, but I simply can't manage to immerse
myself in four languages while writing my bachelor's thesis at the same time. I'll
definitely finish my still ongoing A1 course and then might join the one following this
next term, but I'm doubtful... we shall see. Anyway, thanks again for welcoming me, will
create my own log in a few days' time!

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4703 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 87 of 114
21 January 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
I posted pretty much the same thing on the TAC thread, but I'll retype it!

I'm down for Team Žá! Croatian and French are my targets for the
challenge. I'll be
in Europe for the first part of the year, and would like to be at an intermediate level
by the end. (I will hopefully move quickly so I can use them when I go to Croatia and
France!) French will greatly help by complementing my Arabic and it's still important,
and Croatia is gorgeous and the language seems to me to be the most interesting Slavic
tongue to try out. (Never been a fan of slavic languages, but I'm starting to change my
opinion)

Background: I am native in English, and am fluent/near-native (almost!)
in Spanish,
and conversational in Arabic (3 semesters worth) I'll be using Spanish a lot as
I am
about to go to Cadiz for 5 months. The amount of time devoted to Arabic will be up in
the air, but I am planning to go to Morocco for a few days, if not longer. I
dabble/plan to learn German, Turkish and Brazilian Portuguese eventually to high
levels. Even farther out, Irish, Cherokee, Basque, Amharic, and Catalan are casual
interests of mine.

I've never done this before; someone tell me how this works exactly?

Edited by Gallo1801 on 21 January 2012 at 5:50am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 88 of 114
21 January 2012 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Yay!
You need to start your own log and put Team Žá (with the diacritics, please) somewhere in the title. Then you report every now and then how you are doing, join the discussions in the team thread and your teammates' logs etc:) it's pretty much optional, but as we have quite a few learners of French, Croatian, Spanish and Portuguese, I hope you'll enjoy<333

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version