114 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 33 of 114
11 December 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Apart from that epic textbook, I also tried some podcasts and a translation of several chapters of LOTR:) And I always tried to add the related words from Esperanto and/or Portuguese to my Latin flash cards, this also helped. You could get a Spanish-Latin dictionary I guess... <3

That's neat that you translated several chapters of LOTR. That is my favorite ever book, but unfortunately I don't own a Latin copy!

I agree that Spanish words help me to remember their Latin counterparts (or ancestors). That is one bonus of learning related languages! :)
I didn't translate them, I read them! XD

it's here: http://www.eldalie.ch/dominusanulorum/
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 34 of 114
11 December 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 

I just realized that I haven't introduced myself here. I've already started my 2012 TAC Log. I'm really looking forward to teaming up with you guys, and I'm getting really excited for the new year's challenges.

From my log:
Kerrie wrote:

My primary languages for 2012 will be Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Croatian/Bosnian. If that's not enough, I might... Oh, wait.

That's more than enough! But there are others that are really calling me: Greek, Turkish, Russian, Hungarian, German, Japanese. I just found out that one of my friends at work is learning Turkish, so there is an extra incentive to pick that up, too.

Spanish   My Spanish is probably about a B2 (passive) and B1 (active). I would like to get this up to an active C1. I will be working through Teach Yourself Improve your Spanish and Living Language Ultimate Spanish Advanced, then reading through the Harry Potter series. (You will see a lot of Harry Potter here. I am a little bit of a fan!) I will probably work through one or two of the Practice Makes Perfect grammar books, too.

French   My French is probably an B1 (reading) and A2 (active). My goal for 2012 is to get to (active) B2 and (passive) C1. I will be using Assimil, Living Language Ultimate French, and Teach Yourself Improve your French. Some grammar (Practice Makes Perfect) and some more Harry Potter. Maybe Le Petit Prince.

Italian    My Italian is a high A1 (maybe passive A2). I'd like to bring it to a solid B2, which should not be too hard if I am consistent with my studies. I'll be using mostly the same materials as I am for French. Assimil, Living Language Ultimate Italian, and Teach Yourself Improve your Italian. Some grammar (Practice Makes Perfect) and some more Harry Potter. Maybe Il Piccolo Principe.

Portuguese    My Portuguese is nearly non-existent right now. My goal for 2012 is to change that. Just a little! I find that I can read a fair amount of Portuguese, and it really intrigues me. So I'm going to try it. I have the Assimil Portuguese, Living Language Ultimate Portuguese, and Michel Thomas audio courses. I'm hoping those will be enough to give me a solid start. I'm hoping to find a decent grammar book to work through, and then read the first book or two from Harry Potter. Maybe The Little Prince, if I can find a copy.

Bosnian/Croatian   My BCS is nearly non-existent, too. I work with about a dozen Bosnians, so I hear it all day long. There's not many resources out there for Bosnian, per se, though. I'm planning to use Spoken World Croatian and the Assimil Serbo-Croat books. I'd like to get my BCS up to an A2 by the end of the year. I want to aim higher, but it's my first Slavic language, so I'll settle for that. =)

German   I am not planning to focus on German, but I would like to learn it, so I will probably do something rather slow-paced and spread over the course of the year, just to get a basic foundation. I've studied German before, but never for very long. I will work through the Michel Thomas courses and then work on Living Language's Ultimate German. Maybe one lesson every week or two. I have a number of other sources, and may decide later in the year to pursue that more seriously.

So, to recap my goals:
Spanish ----->    B1 to C1
French ------>    A2 to B2/C1
Italian ------->    high A1 to B2
Portuguese -->    0 to B1
BCS --------->    0 to A2
German ------>    A1 to B1
Turksh ------>    0 to ???

I really enjoy listening to music in my target languages, and I'm planning to pick out one or two songs (in each language) each week to learn. I can listen to my mp3 player at work. It's too noisy to listen to lessons (besides, most of my attention has to be focused on my work!), but listening to music in my target languages won't be a problem.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 35 of 114
11 December 2011 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Yay! Great to read about your goals<3
I'm also going to read HP in various languages. And I have a PDF of O pequeno principe :) If I read the little prince it'll be in Romanian though. Oh and in both cases it'll be Listening-Reading rather than just reading.

I'm a bit jealous, I can't really enjoy doing the traditional courses in languages where my comprehension >>>>>> my active skills :/ I'm not against grammar, but AJATT-style natural learning is so much more fun:S

I love music too! Especially Luciano Ligabue in Italian<333

also, I discovered this site yesterday http://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx (while looking through posts of people who list "I found great free materials online" as a reason to study this or that language:)) pity there's nothing in Italian or Romanian, but great otherwise!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 36 of 114
11 December 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
The AJATT-style is a little like Assimil, isn't it? Learning/memorizing sentences as opposed to studying grammar..?

I much prefer Assimil, but I like to have a reference to look up grammar points as well. I plan to fly through the Living Language courses to (for the Romance languages, anyways) and focus more on Assimil. After I've got a grasp on the language, I prefer to listen/read audiobooks more than "study" from a course book.

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5054 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 37 of 114
11 December 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi!

I'm setting some pretty ambitious goals this year. I am a newbie when it comes to both French and Russian, but I want to reach a B1 or B2 level in each of them this yer

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 38 of 114
11 December 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Well yes, AJATT just suggests using native materials from day 1. At least for me online grammar references are enough. After studying Latin and reading a book on Romance philology, most structures make sense to me, I just can't produce them myself and that's frustrating.

Also, Assimil has you translating sentences and I'm with AJATT here again. I translate only when someone asks me to. That said, I've shadowed Assimil Finnish a lot and I enjoyed it. I shadowed the Portuguese one and it was okay/fun but I don't know why I didn't do it much.
/ramble

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 39 of 114
11 December 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
pineappleboom wrote:
Hi!

I'm setting some pretty ambitious goals this year. I am a newbie when it comes to both French and Russian, but I want to reach a B1 or B2 level in each of them this yer
welcome!!!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 40 of 114
11 December 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know if there are writing practice sheets floating around online for the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet? If I'm going to learn BCS, I'd like to learn to read and write the Cyrillic, too. I have no problem reading it, but I really don't know how to write it unless it's in block letters.

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version