114 messages over 15 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 114
08 December 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps their CL success will get the spirit back;)
então és de Lisboa?
E obrigada, eu também gosto de correções ;) acho que isto apenas significa que não manejo (?) os (?) artigos bem (em português)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 114
08 December 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:

LATIN - I have been learning Latin forever, and it is a very important language to me due to my religion, but I have only reached an intermediate level. My knowledge of grammar is (or was) good, but I know about 500 words total. (This is mostly a result of the inferior quality of the textbooks I was using, but I must confess that my slow progress is partly my fault, as well.) Right now I am making Latin more of a priority, however. I am working through Wheelock's Latin and I hope to be done with it by August.
I googled Wheelock's Latin... while it sounds awesome, you may want to supplement it with something aimed specifically at those learning Latin for religious reasons - theology students and similar.
Since you speak Spanish, a book for Spanish speakers might also make more sense. It will explain it through things you know and you may well find out a lot about the history of Spanish :) I'd imagine there might also be better materials, as Latin is easier for Spanish speakers, so I'd assume more of them study it for religious reasons than native speakers of English. For example, I'm sure there are very few Orthodox people who study Old Church Slavonic despite not speaking a living Slavic language.

I've heard Latin study is a huge thing in Rome/Vatican so it must be worth checking out what's been published over there.

JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4561 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, FrenchC2

Message 19 of 114
08 December 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
então és de Lisboa?
E obrigada, eu também gosto de correções ;) acho que isto apenas significa que não manejo (?) os (?)
artigos bem (em português)?

Yes I'm from Lisbon. Actually the articles are quite difficult to master. You'll get the hang of it with practice. I
know I told you I would check the rule but the truth is, I don't have any grammar with me at home, just at the
univ, so I'll have a look tomorrow if I can. Nevertheless your level of written Portuguese is quite impressive.
How long have you been studying it?

As for that sentence it's more natural to say ...significa que não domino bem os artigos em português

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 20 of 114
08 December 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
JoaoCorreia wrote:
Serpent wrote:
então és de Lisboa?
E obrigada, eu também gosto de correções ;) acho que isto apenas significa que não manejo (?) os (?)
artigos bem (em português)?

Yes I'm from Lisbon. Actually the articles are quite difficult to master. You'll get the hang of it with practice. I
know I told you I would check the rule but the truth is, I don't have any grammar with me at home, just at the
univ, so I'll have a look tomorrow if I can. Nevertheless your level of written Portuguese is quite impressive.
How long have you been studying it?

As for that sentence it's more natural to say ...significa que não domino bem os artigos em português
Yeah articles are difficult, especially if your native language doesn't have them. Though they're used differently in various languages anyway - what is it like when you can rely on your native language as a rule of thumb? :)

Ohhh tbh... nearly four years:S and I still can't deal with stuff like if... then or these wonderful infinitives with personal endings (like that leres you used<3) Will work on that in this TAC!

JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4561 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, FrenchC2

Message 21 of 114
09 December 2011 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
To be honest, I always try not to think about my native language rules when I'm learning foreign languages, but I'm sure it helps me somehow.

Shouldn't be too hard to get the grammar right. Just spend some time reading and writing and you'll perfect it in no time!

AlephBey
Tetraglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4589 days ago

41 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi*, Urdu, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 22 of 114
09 December 2011 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure whether or not to join this group. I'm studying too many languages at the
same time. My goals for 2012, to sum them up in a neat little column, are-
Spanish: A1 to B2
Russian: A2, starting from scratch.
Japanese: N3 to N2
German: A1 to B2

I'm currently most active with my German and Russian studies. Spanish has taken the
backseat because I couldn't develop as much interest in the language. Blame it on the
complete lack of Spanish speakers in my hometown. The only instance when I actually got
to use my Spanish with native speakers was at Instituto Cervantes de Nueva Delhi, when
I went to sit for the DELE A1 exam. I'll have to say, though, I was really amazed at
how rapidly I made progress with the language as compared to Japanese or German. It
really was a pleasant change.

There are a few Germans and half-Germans in my family and talking to them acts as great
motivation. Living so far away from their homeland, it pleases them to get to converse
with anyone in their native language. Even if it means having to bear with a young
beginner who can barely scrape together a few simple sentences. :-P
Plus I love the sound of the language. There's something beautiful in the way each
syllable sounds so powerful. At times I'd so love the sound of certain words, I'd keep
repeating them again and again in weird intonation. Das Wissen! Das Hauptgericht!
Der Bushaltestelle!
The only other language I've experienced this with is
Spanish. La cafeteria esta cerca de la panaderia.

Yes, people. I know I'm weird.

Russian fascinates me. I love the way the language sounds in music. Plus, I'd heard
quite too many accounts of how unbelievably complicated its grammar is.
Reputably 'difficult' languages have always held a mystic charm for me. They make me
feel like challenging myself. And when I actually begin to understand them, I get an
amazing feeling of gratification, of achievement. That certainly was the case with
Japanese. :-)
Besides, having studied Sanskrit with its eight grammatical cases, three numbers
(singular, dual, plural) and three genders for five years at school; I really don't
think there are many major languages left that'd strike me as 'overly grammatically
complicated'.

Oh shucks, you guys sound so darn bad-ass. Count me in, please! :D

Edited by AlephBey on 09 December 2011 at 5:47pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 114
09 December 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Oh yay welcome!
I've never spoken with native speakers of the Romance languages I study (ironically I did say merci many times in France, though I don't like the French language :D).

Quote:
I'm studying too many languages at the same time ... I'm weird.

same here :P LOL i first typo'ed it as sane. nope, no way :P

I also really love the sound of German and the writing system of Sanskrit (i don't know anything else). Damn you're making me wanna do what someone in the FU team mentioned and learn at least a little in everyone's languages<3 (except French haha... btw shall I put it on your list? you didn't mention it)

Or perhaps even everyone preparing a mini-lesson in a language of their choice? :)))) This would not be required but this gotta be fun!

Edited by Serpent on 09 December 2011 at 6:27pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4972 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 24 of 114
09 December 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Amerykanka wrote:

LATIN - I have been learning Latin forever, and it is a very important language to me due to my religion, but I have only reached an intermediate level. My knowledge of grammar is (or was) good, but I know about 500 words total. (This is mostly a result of the inferior quality of the textbooks I was using, but I must confess that my slow progress is partly my fault, as well.) Right now I am making Latin more of a priority, however. I am working through Wheelock's Latin and I hope to be done with it by August.
I googled Wheelock's Latin... while it sounds awesome, you may want to supplement it with something aimed specifically at those learning Latin for religious reasons - theology students and similar.
Since you speak Spanish, a book for Spanish speakers might also make more sense. It will explain it through things you know and you may well find out a lot about the history of Spanish :) I'd imagine there might also be better materials, as Latin is easier for Spanish speakers, so I'd assume more of them study it for religious reasons than native speakers of English. For example, I'm sure there are very few Orthodox people who study Old Church Slavonic despite not speaking a living Slavic language.

I've heard Latin study is a huge thing in Rome/Vatican so it must be worth checking out what's been published over there.

You have a good point about using a course with a focus on religion. My previous Latin books were religion-based, so I can say my prayers in Latin and I can usually understand the Latin songs we sing at Mass. Right now I am concentrating on learning grammar, because complicated grammatical constructions are not my strong point - whenever I try to read anything advanced, I always run into some sort of trouble. Hopefully once I've finished with Wheelock's, I will be well enough grounded in the language to be able to start focusing on Church Latin. In the meantime, I think I will start learning some more specialized vocabulary on the side.

I like your idea about learning Latin through Spanish. That had never occurred to me before, so thank you! :) I will definitely start looking to see if I can find any good courses in Spanish.

How did you learn Latin? I'm guessing your materials were in Russian, but if not, what did you use?

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version