Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5039 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 473 of 672
03 June 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
MrWarper reporting to mother ship SSS Sputnik : )
got your ultimatum.

Thing is, well, I've been trying to keep a low-on-HTLAL diet lately, on which I have quite succeeded -- and the last two times I was here I was all like 'OK just a little comment here and there and GO back to the Team to report' but the last bit always got left out somehow :P

First, I won't partake in the Skype meeting today -- I'd feel too bad because I'm lagging behind in every other possible field, and I would know I wasn't attending my duties. Now that you can read this, let me edit the post for an actual report:

Progress regarding Russian: my pencils couldn't be any sharper, my notebooks couldn't be more neatly arranged, or my books more carefully stored on my ebook reader. In other words: zilch.

WRT *potential* progress, things have changed a bit on the coast (my usual lurking space for weekends, except for the last few, where I have real, live Russians to talk to) -- Sasha's shop is under new management, and will be for at least a couple of months. Sasha and wife are looking for other ways to make a living and meanwhile their associates Igor and wife will be serving you with their best smile... and in Russian.

Now, this is an opportunity I hope not to waste (I know myself all too well) because these people's Spanish is as good as my Russian --sucky, if anything--, so I can't just default to Spanish. Igor is a seemingly incredibly funny guy who always manages to crack up jokes with just a couple of words ("жена? жена не 'wife'; жена сатана" -- right in front of his wife), and сатана, er... his wife is an extremely nice and intelligent woman who is firmly intent on learning Spanish. Besides, they have one little learning sponge (6yo) called Irina that is all smiles and 'see how much I've learnt this week' --just the kind of kid I love having around-- and they know I'm friends with their friends so they couldn't possibly have been friendlier to me from the get-go. So, everything is in my favour except that I get so frustrated when I just can't say anything I want to... we'll see -- the other day I managed to sell a bottle of vodka, or rather, to explain to Elena (Igor's wife) what some Spaniards wanted to know and translate back so they finally bought the vodka -- how the hell do you say 'ne balshaya' without sounding totally stupid? :)

I don't want to further pollute the team log with Russian-learning-unrelated stuff (progress or lack thereof on other areas, 'personal' stories and the like), those interested will hopefully be able to read about it in my log in a few hours (maybe; maybe that's the bit that'll be left out today ;)

Meanwhile, let me give my congratulations to our team mates Teango for his recent wedding, Cristina for her floating birthday and partying two consecutive weekends (technically it wasn't your party the second time but hey!) and Tecktight for making it to the Motherland, and doing so safely -- hope you have a nice time there!

Speaking of which, i.e. about staying in the team... of course, I would like to, but I would have to honestly ask what my contribution has been exactly so far, and in turn I can tell you exactly what you can't expect from me: a crazy amount of hours to bump up the stats, because as I said when I first laid out my five year plan, since I can't focus on quantity I'll try to do so on quality (hah! :). Everything other than that (and fortunately that people eating bit tarvos mentions below) is a grey area... so I honestly can't be against my expulsion if you deem it necessary for whatever the reason, because all I can offer for the future are vague promises and all my former ones turned out to be quite empty. OK, and because it doesn't imply being fed to the rancor either -- I hope ;)

MrWarper to mother ship SSS Sputnik --EndOfReport

Edited by mrwarper on 03 June 2012 at 8:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4520 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 474 of 672
03 June 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry, we don't eat people for not doing so much :)

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4789 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 475 of 672
03 June 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Alright, people, speak up: next Sunday, or the Sunday after next, for our Skype session?

I'm free for both, as are apparently Cristina, Jorn, and Fabricio.

Also, to Team Sputnik members who have not yet joined us for our Skype sessions, please come! You will, among
other things, be privileged to hear a real, live Russian speaker who will now be attending our Skype sessions.
We don't bite. In fact, if anything, you'll be harmed only by incessant (friendly) chattering.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5039 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 476 of 672
05 June 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
A suggestion here. Apparently it isn't overly complicated to do that multiple call thing on Skype, so why don't we just schedule it weekly no matter what?

I think it could be done with some publicly appointed 'hosts' (I'd suggest TeckTight, Tarvos and myself in that order because I don't know how to do it exactly but I don't think it'd take me a lot to learn) to take care of it in order of precedence so if host #1 can't (or won't) attend some day, #2 takes over and so on. Once the host is on air (as per schedule, unless stated otherwise here) any team members can join in. Of course, if any given day there's just two people and they don't feel like it, well -- no harm done.

Since there's no real obligation to do anything, I think putting up a little schedule like this could spark more casual interest in doing it, and in the end lead to more regularity. Just an idea, anyway.

Sundays 8PM (CET-1CDT) is usually the time I'm on the road getting back from the coast but if we agree that's best for everyone I don't see a problem with driving home a little earlier or later. I'd be available except for very few Sundays.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 477 of 672
08 June 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

Speaking of which, i.e. about staying in the team... of course, I would like to, but I would have to honestly ask what my contribution has been exactly so far, and in turn I can tell you exactly what you can't expect from me: a crazy amount of hours to bump up the stats, because as I said when I first laid out my five year plan, since I can't focus on quantity I'll try to do so on quality (hah! :). Everything other than that (and fortunately that people eating bit tarvos mentions below) is a grey area... so I honestly can't be against my expulsion if you deem it necessary for whatever the reason, because all I can offer for the future are vague promises and all my former ones turned out to be quite empty. OK, and because it doesn't imply being fed to the rancor either -- I hope ;)

MrWarper to mother ship SSS Sputnik --EndOfReport

Dear friend. The only requirement to stay on the team is to show an interest in the team and participate whenever possible. We do not demand large amounts of study: Hey, that is what being part of a team is about - we are there to motivate eachother! We only wanted to identify those who are obviously out of the contest, as it is a bit strange to have a 20 man team with only a few active ones . So as long as you want to stay - you are in!!

The ones who over the last month have then expressed an interest in staying, and who will also in the future be part of Team Sputnik are:

Cristina
Teango
Tarvos
Aloysious
Fabriziocarraro
Woodsei
Tecktight
drsarvo
ruskivyetr
mrwarper.

This means that after 5 months, half of our crew have jumped ship, but I think that is pretty normal. We do however still have the most active, the most vibrant, the most potent and the most brilliant team around, with lots of active participants, so I am not particularly worried for our future! GOOOO Team Sputnik!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 June 2012 at 9:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 478 of 672
08 June 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
I have taken the liberty to write THIS in the TC thhread. Feel free to correct me either here or there if you would like to add something, or have a different view on things.

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4789 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 479 of 672
08 June 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
A suggestion here. Apparently it isn't overly complicated to do that multiple call thing on
Skype, so why don't we just schedule it weekly no matter what?

I think it could be done with some publicly appointed 'hosts' (I'd suggest TeckTight, Tarvos and myself in that
order because I don't know how to do it exactly but I don't think it'd take me a lot to learn) to take care of it in
order of precedence so if host #1 can't (or won't) attend some day, #2 takes over and so on. Once the host is on
air (as per schedule, unless stated otherwise here) any team members can join in. Of course, if any given day
there's just two people and they don't feel like it, well -- no harm done.

Since there's no real obligation to do anything, I think putting up a little schedule like this could spark more
casual interest in doing it, and in the end lead to more regularity. Just an idea, anyway.

Sundays 8PM (CET-1CDT) is usually the time I'm on the road getting back from the coast but if we agree that's
best for everyone I don't see a problem with driving home a little earlier or later. I'd be available except for very
few Sundays.

I think this is a great idea. Every week, the hosts should indicate whether they can intend to attend the Skype
session for that week. If two or more agree to attend, and something happens that makes one of them not
actually able to show up, the other one can take over. So, speaking of, I'll be able to make it this week.

I'll send you both PMs with instruction on how to initiate group calls.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4520 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 480 of 672
10 June 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, what about this week?

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version