United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 81 of 292
20 May 2012 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I agree those old illustrations look creepy! Not at all children's happy pictures! I
loved Alice in Wonderland movie, Johnny Depp was great (as usual :) ) but it was really
creepy! And How's Moving Castle is my absolute favorite movie, but I was so disappointed
with the English dub (as usual :)   ). I love watching in the original language, and of
course, who can beat the Japanese when it comes to voice acting? They're the seiyuu,
after all :)
Now I'm curious to listen to the German, since you say it's really good.

I know what it feels like when people bump up your log, it's really encouraging! I wish
mine gets visited soon too, because it's been sadly withering away by itself ;)

Keep it up!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 82 of 292
20 May 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I always read your log too, but like g-bod I don't have much to say about French and Turkish except, "Huh?!" I don't understand a thing. Though I think Turkish could be fun somewhere down the road, or Hungarian. I like the music.

I'm glad you liked my reviews. I have a whole bunch of Miyazaki films left to go. I'm trying to watch in order from easy to hard, but they all seem to be hard for me. Spirited Away is great. I'm looking forward to seeing that again, but as I recall, there was a lot of fast dialogue, or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

I always watch them in Japanese. Around here they usually come with Norwegian, Danish and Swedish dubs. I've never listened to the Swedish or Danish, but in Norway, it seems like they have about 10-12 people who do dubbing for cartoons. So all the cartoons sound exactly the same. If I'm in another room and hear a cartoon in English, I can very quickly figure out what it is because of the voices, but if it's dubbed to Norwegian, I can't tell unless there is some specific dialogue or catch-phrase that gives it away. I find it very boring and annoying.

I imagine they also translate from English to Norwegian. There doesn't seem to be anyone who does Japanese to Norwegian. It's not a common language to learn around here, and there are very few Japanese in Norway. I've read a couple of Japanese books in Norwegian, but it said in the front that they were translated from English. I think a lot must get lost in the double translation.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 83 of 292
20 May 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I've never listened to the Swedish or Danish, but in Norway, it seems like they have about 10-12 people who do dubbing for cartoons. So all the cartoons sound exactly the same.

(lol) that's exactly the way it is here too. The have a few actors that have made a cushy niche for themselves as voice actors. Thomas Dannenberg does all the voices for the "macho crowd": Sly Stallone, Bruce Willis, Schwarzenegger and a few more, I'm sure. Like you said, when I'm in the other room I can confuse the voice with a dozen or so different films/cartoons. I watch the Japanese films in Japanese but my kids watch them in German. It's very annoying to hear the voice who plays the in the children's cartoon "Bibi Blocksberg" doing Chihiro. I have to try to ignore it^^

Brun Ugle wrote:
I think a lot must get lost in the double translation.

And I think Hollywood takes too many liberties. The film loses a lot when they try to make it more appealing to American audiences. The big name actors like Billy Crystal try to throw in their own special touch to the character and some of the meaning gets lost.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 84 of 292
21 May 2012 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
... seems like they have about 10-12 people who do dubbing for cartoons. So all ... sound exactly the same.

(lol) ... exactly the way it is here too. ... few actors ... cushy niche for themselves... Thomas Dannenberg does all the voices for the "macho crowd": Sly Stallone, Bruce Willis, Schwarzenegger

I always thought it could be possible to hire the latter two to dub themselves in German -- then again, as Anthony Flags showed here in Spain, self-dubbing is generally not a good idea :)

Quote:
... when I'm in the other room I can confuse the voice with a dozen or so different films/cartoons ... annoying to hear the voice who plays the in the children's cartoon "Bibi Blocksberg" doing Chihiro. I have to try to ignore it^^

That shouldn't be a problem with *proper* dubbing. Especially for cartoons, dubbers here can really make a number of different voices. Notice there aren't that many voice actors in Hollywood either - or I don't think there must be a lot where their market is pretty much *only* cartoon dubbing (OK, or video games and the like which have become big lately).

OTOH I've got used to dissociating classic dubbers' voices from faces, just like I've grown used to dissociating known, non-typecast actors from their characters. It doesn't surprise me to see some space adventurer who looks exactly like a certain handyman and secret agent, so why should it strike me as strange that Lenny from The Simpsons sounds pretty much like Bender from Futurama? It's the same thing, only with less people, on different media... -- OK, OK; close enough to 'the same thing?' ;)

An interesting thing is that I always twitch when some star dubbers get brief cameos here and there and I am reminded that *those voices* actually belong to real, concrete people :)

Quote:
... I think Hollywood takes too many liberties. The film loses a lot when they try to make it more appealing ... The big name actors like Billy Crystal try to throw in their own special touch to the character and some of the meaning gets lost.

Same here -- with some 'big' productions the dubbing studios tend to hire famous (non-voice) actors, instead of their regular professional dubbers (the cross section is really really small), or even worse, they hire 'comedians'. The only way those morons have to ensure the public knows it's them is dropping in their 'trademarks' which is generally inappropriate and really cringe-inducing most of the time. I know of one honourable exception to this rule (a comedian who is a VERY good voice actor/dubber) but [un]surprisingly he doesn't do that much dubbing anyway (maybe so he doesn't make the others look bad).

Edited by mrwarper on 21 May 2012 at 3:12am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 85 of 292
06 June 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
thanks for your input mrwarper, I'm afraid I got distracted and didn't get back in here to continue.

I will try not to start in with all the reasons and distractions for why I haven't been studying, but I have to say it's been really difficult these past weeks. One thing after another!

There's been a few shifts. I've missed the last seat for the B2. To be honest I don't feel I was ready with speaking/writing anyway. I'll let that ship sail. I'll try to catch the next one after the first of the year. I know I overestimated myself but I managed to learn a lot. I think I just need to catch up with my speaking and writing skills.

The good news is that I actually tutored a gymasial student in French -- talk about stressful! I was actually just filling in for a teacher who was sick. The reason it's good news is that I was able to test myself. Thank goodness I was able to conjugate all those irregular verbs. I still have to practice the imparfait and passe compose. I was able to work with the student on it, but there were a few of those "fill-in-the-blanks", where I wasn't sure myself. "School French" is more about correct use of grammar than speaking. I'm happy with how I handled it but I vowed not to volunteer tutoring 3rd year again until I know French grammar like the back of my hand.

Incredibly refreshing is Japanese. I worked on it today. I don't know where to start, so I simply picked up an old cassette of "Yookoso!" (which is ancient) and did some computer transcription of the weather. My computer provided me with the kanji and I spent the rest of the afternoon working on the kanji stroke order. I can recognize all the kanji but I have to figure out "how far" I should know it. Should I be satisfied with "just recognition" or should I try to memorize writing it? I've decided to work on the stroke order a bit more..

I haven't done any work on Turkish at all. There's another holiday tomorrow so I think I can --hopefully-- get caught up on that film that I wanted to watch for the Super Challenge (no more challenges for me!)

Edited by Sunja on 06 June 2012 at 8:50pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 86 of 292
07 June 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I didn't do too much Japanese this morning. I went over some kanji from the transcription. I also haven't gotten to do any Turkish yet.

I mostly went over Peter Jackson's King Kong in French.

I found this one when I was checking through the audio options of all my DVDs, looking for something to watch. I think the film itself is a marvelous piece of work so I'm happy to be able to watch it in a language I'm learning. I made two pages of notes. I even got into the commentaries on Disk two, which are pretty interesting -- even if they're only subtitled.

I also plan to break out my old VHS of La Reine Margot tonight. Seeing Thomas Kretchmann in King Kong reminded me that he's got a small supporting role in that film. It's kind of cool: I think he's the only actor I've seen in German, French and English-speaking roles (version originale).

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 87 of 292
10 June 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
For learning to write kanji vs just recognizing, I would say, learn to write them.

1. It will improve your recognition.
2. You might someday want to actually write Japanese. (By hand, not just on the computer)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 88 of 292
10 June 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I think you're right. During my previous studies I only wrote on the computer and knew only just enough to recognize right from wrong -- and thanks to this partial approach to Japanese I've forgotten a lot. Or at least every time I look at a kanji I think, "er, I kinda know it,.. but not really". This morning I'm working on 暖 and 暑. Pretty basic vocabulary, actually.

I feel like I'm starting over but it also feels a bit different this time around. I don't know why... but I'm considering it a good thing. It's going to take me the rest of the year to dig up everything that's been buried the past 3 years. I have to see what needs polishing and what doesn't.

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version