Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 105 of 292
20 June 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm having trouble upgrading my account at Lang-8. Isn't it frustrating? I'd like to do more writing in other languages but I'm only allowed two, and I can't pay/upgrade to include more languages because of some currency bureaucracy with Paypal -- the injustice! ;) The next step is either to apply for a Mastercard, which I was planning to do anyway, or toggle between languages. The problem with that is I've got some Turkish pals that I don't want to lose if I switch out of Turkish. they're not very active but you never know..

So I've been spending some time at Lang8 and since they've added the new "native language" feature, people are writing bilingual entries -- woo-hoo! It's a treasure trove and I don't even have to do any work to get it!

I've found some great words that come in context with computers (or computer problems as the case may be) and I'd like to add them here with translations from Jim breen:

動作 【どうさ】 (n,vs) action; movement; behaviour;
タスクマネージャー "task manager"
調べたら 【しらべる】 (v1,vt) to examine; to investigate; to check up
ソフト (3) (abbr) {comp} software;
対策 【たいさく】 (n) counter-plan;
ウイルス対策ソフト anti-virus software
使用率 【しようりつ】 (n) {comp} utilization rate
原因 【げんいん】 (n,vs) cause; origin; source;
性能 【せいのう】 (n) ability; performance; efficiency;
不足 【ふそく】 deficiency
(esp. 直る) to get mended; to be repaired; to be fixed

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 106 of 292
24 June 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been able to study much, as usual. School is about to end, so I think that will free up some of my time -- or not. Come to think of it, I've forgotten how it is when the kids are all here with nothing to do except lounge around and say "I'm bored!" I take advantage of what little time I get to myself. Today I have about 2 hours before I have to go over to the relatives for some bad grill food and coffee. My husband's uncle always lets the meat sit too long in the fire. Ironically, I listened to a podcast yesterday which was from France Info about carcinogens in food.. :P The good news is, I think it's the Summer Solstice. More daylight hours for studying!

I'm mining kanji like crazy from all the private journals throughout lang-8! Today I found somebody who has been discussing dental hygiene. Isn't 歯 a gorgeous kanji? I don't know, it just looks pretty...^^

歯磨き(P); 歯磨 【はみがき】 (n,vs) (1) dental brushing; brushing one's teeth
歯医者 【はいしゃ】 (n) dentist

These are just a few since I'm already picking up too many at once. I never have time to write and learn all of them. I've written them all once in my notebook but once is never enough. I have to stop adding new ones and work on a few at a time, but the journals at lang-8 are so interesting. They're like a little window into Japan, most of them. A lot of people talk about mundane stuff, but a few of them reference stuff from the news, which I can cross-reference.

I started the "JLPT N2 Memrise Community Edited Course" at Memrise a few weeks ago and it's not working out very well for me. I have more crying flowers in my garden today (those are the words I haven't looked at). I try to treat it as a game but it just screams "short-term memory" every time I do it. I'm not really learning the kanji because I have so many other things going on and I'm not spending enough time with any of them. Maybe I shouldn't take Memrise so seriously and just have fun with it.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 107 of 292
07 July 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
my goals for 2012:
[...]
JAPANESE
[...] Goal: I'd like to revise basic kanji and basic speaking/writing skills, and basically have fun, as you'll soon see...

Sunja wrote:
I'm currently working on the weather.
[...]
土砂降り, どしゃぶり, pelting rain (ground, sand, fall)
[...]
霙, みぞれ sleet (rain, legs, silver, big/dog)
霰, あられ graupel (rain, 1,2, moon, hit)

g-bod (native) wrote:
I had never heard of graupel

I only know the word "rain" from these, yet have passed an English exam at level B2 and can understand American movies/cartoons with 90% or so, thus I don't miss any point, so

Do you like watching anime about weathers, maybe?

My thought:

And understanding more percent of sentences is encouraging. At least in theory.

Sunja wrote:
I'm mining kanji like crazy from all the private journals throughout lang-8! Today I found somebody who has been discussing dental hygiene. Isn't 歯 a gorgeous kanji? I don't know, it just looks pretty...^^

:D (I don't know why you mine kanji, not words, though.)
Sunja wrote:

歯磨き(P); 歯磨 【はみがき】 (n,vs) (1) dental brushing; brushing one's teeth
歯医者 【はいしゃ】 (n) dentist

These are just a few since I'm already picking up too many at once.

Well, what about you make a daily limit for the deck or for the mining, and after that, you either
- review them, then when you're done with 50 or so, you continue mining, or
- do something else, maybe listening comprehension, or just watching anime, I don't know, really... something unrelated to kanji, and at a set time (before falling asleep would be beneficial when we think of the better retention rate, since sleeping starts processing the most recent informations, and goes slowly to 2 hours ago, 4 hours ago, etc.)
What do you think?

Sunja wrote:
I'm not very good with casual speech

Watch more anime and/or have a look at Japanese Colloquial abbreviations.
Sunja wrote:
勉強しないと...

The person translated it to "I have to study" so is this a short form for しなかればならない?

I found on the page linked above "~nai to ikenai/naranai/komaru > ~nai to ex : sugu kaesanai to (kaesanai to ikenai)". It's probably related. Well, I think しないといけない sounds just fine. Your guess wasn't too far off, but I heard it as しなければならない(んです) in both Pimsleur and at least one anime. If I write "しなかれば" in google.co.jp, it automatically underlines it with a read line and only makes suggestions starting with "しなければ" and the first search for "しなければならないんです" in the international version of Google gives "" as the first result.

Edited by Takato on 07 July 2012 at 8:19pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 108 of 292
16 July 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that post takato, I'll have to rework how I study kanji. I've been out of it lately -- really out of it.

Thanks to this crazy summer weather, lightning struck the house on June 31st and overloaded the phone line, et al. I've been without internet since then! Part of it was my fault. We got our new router on the 11th but I couldn't get in because I forgot my dumb password to get to the provider site to do the configuration (ARGH!). I'm still waiting for my new Eingangsdaten but using a temporary pass to get into the internet so I can do my business.

I'm leaving for Paris the day after tomorrow. It was a spontaneous booking thanks to a surprise gift from my mother. I'm picking my mom up from the airport tomorrow and we'll drive to Paris on Wednesday. I've got lots to do, but I plan to keep a travel/language journal as soon as I can start one^^   

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 109 of 292
18 July 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Good to hear you leave off to Paris! :D Good luck!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 110 of 292
23 July 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Thank you! Paris was great. I haven't been to Paris since I was 17. (I've been to Disneyland but that almost doesn't count.)

Tragically though, I didn't do much as far as language practice goes, which is truly the most disappointing part of my vacation. I got very good at ordering a table for a family of six but that's about all I could do well. I thought I would be busy organising our day trips for us, but everything is automated and set in price, so I didn't have to ask a single question -- that's actually good when you think about it. We ran ourselves ragged, moving from one thing to the next because everybody had their favorite thing that they wanted to do so we were all busy. There was actually little time to relax, turn around and casually strike up a conversation, which is what I'd imagined myself doing the whole way to paris.   

I'm excusing myself but bottom line is that I'm too slow with speaking and that makes it hard under fast and furious circumstances. I think I'm going back to beginner. I'm going to put my books and written materials away and basically start over by repeating everything from the ground up. I need it. I'm working a lot this week and there are some other things that need my attention but I hope I can do more than just 30 minutes a day and one-two films a week, which is what I'd been doing before the lightning struck.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5794 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 111 of 292
23 July 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Paris is an amazing city to visit, but it is not such an amazing place to develop fledgling speaking skills. It's a big busy city full of busy and impatient people, plus as a tourist you want to fit in as much as possible too, which doesn't leave much time and space for long conversations with the locals. I think you owe yourself another French holiday, but this time somewhere a little bit more relaxed.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 112 of 292
23 July 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I was standing in line next to an Irishman who struck up a conversation with two Frenchmen who were behind him. He was just chatting away. I was so envious ^^

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version