Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4527 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 113 of 270
09 April 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
I'm so proud of you, Cristina! You did beutifully during you Ukrainian trip, as far as I can tell. I'm kind of envious about the great oportunity you just had, and looking forward to our next Skype meeting to see your new abilities in action!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 114 of 270
09 April 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
30th of March to the 9th of April

@Kerrie: Yes, do!! It is an awesome language! I am happy to have served as inspiration!
@ellasevia Thanks, it is a really nice film!
@Tecktight: No, I think I will leave Lukashenko alone, but I would love to go to Minsk!
@ Fabriziocarrero: Thanks, but keep in mind that I had a very low level to begin with, so even if I feel I have learned a lot, I still have a long way to go.

As you know, this has been a pretty intense Russian week, and I have also spoken quite a lot of English (which is the language we speak with the oldest daughter).
I managed to see a Russian language film both yesterday and today (cartoons, but films in Russian are films in Russian). I would absolutely love to make one Russian film a day a daily habit, but I doubt that I can pull that off. Also I am off again, so I must recalibrate language.

I am leaving for Spain for a week on Thursday, so I’ll get to speak hours and hours of Spanish – or more specifically Andalusian. I am bringing my daughter down to Spain, where she will spend the next 3 months. I hardly know how I am going to stand being without my little girl for three full months, but since she wanted it, and is cool about it, I have to put up a brave face.

She will be staying in the same family that I lived with when I was in Spain in 1974, though she will be staying with the granddaughter of the woman I lived with. The granddaughter is like my little sister, we used to play with each other when I was a child, so I know she will be in good hands. Also she happens to have become the boss of the headmaster of the school where my daughter will go, so I know that the school will do their utmost to make her feel welcome. She is so excited about going, and I look forward to seeing my Spanish family – the Almeria one. I lived in two Spanish families when I was young, and I still consider both of them my own family. My eldest daughter has been going every year for the last 4 years to see the other family, who for the moment is living in Jaen, so my strong ties with Spain will not be severed, but will continue in the next generation.

The results this week:
Russian: 33 hours 55 minutes
English: 15.30 hours
Spanish: 55 minutes

And the total of this year:       
Russian: 265 h 30 min
German: 49 h 45 minutes       
Greek: 2h 10 min
Spanish: 23 h 35 min
English: 150 h
French: 40 minutes
Italian: 8h 30 minutes
Icelandic:20 minutes
Mandarin: 45 minutes
Ukrainian: 30 minutes
Arabic: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Swedish/Danish 10 hours

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 April 2012 at 11:51pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6595 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 115 of 270
10 April 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Just wondering how you're finding reading in Russian at this point. I, of course, mean
the alphabet. A while back I asked this of a Russian veteran or two who said that it
takes years to be able to read the new alphabet the way we can our familiar one. What is
your experience?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 116 of 270
10 April 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
It is still a struggle, and probably more so because of my dyslexia. I am still at the very earliest stage of
starting to read, I am just through my 1st full book, ( I do not count Cuk i Gek which I read last year since
that is an Easy Reader) and I feel like I have the reading skills of a 6 year old. Reading has been one of my
weakest skills ( and don't ask me what my strong ones are :-) precisely because it is so slow and tortuous. I
suspect I will have to read a hundred books in Russian before I am even half comfortable reading in it. I am
used to being able to skip paragraphs or even entire pages, and I never use a book mark, I just close the
book, knowing that I would find back to where I stopped within a minute. Here I was totally lost just on the
same page, and might reread a whole page before I realized that I had already read it.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6595 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 117 of 270
10 April 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Whoa, I thought you would say "no, it's actually quite easy" :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 118 of 270
10 April 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Whoa, I thought you would say "no, it's actually quite easy" :)

I am an honest soul :-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 119 of 270
12 April 2012 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
I feel like my feet barely touch the ground these days. 9 days of vacation,2 days of work and 1 week of
vacation seem like an ok way to spend your time, except that I had to do 3 weeks of work in those 2 days
and was so stressed out that I thought I'd get a heart attack. I just came stumbling across the threshold late
in the evening because I was so tired. The good news is that I am headed for my Spanish home town. The
one where I know the butcher and the baker and three generations of villagers. The place where I know
more people than anywhere else I have ever lived. The place where I have two ex- boyfriends and the
extremely jealous wife of my best friend- even though we were never more than friends. I don't even know
how I'll count the hours of Spanish conversation. That is usually a around the clock thing :-)

I am hoping also to see my first live HTLALer - mrwarper - so that is definitely something to look forward
to!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5368 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 120 of 270
15 April 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Looking over the progress you've made in Russian these last couple of months leaves me astounded Cristina. I'm so very proud to be in the same corner as you for this year's TAC challenge and I've got a strong feeling we're going to make plenty more serious quantum leaps in our languages this year!

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version