270 messages over 34 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 33 34 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 49 of 270
06 February 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Si vous me demandez, je vous dirai que vous parlez russe mieux que vous pensez...

Mais, bien sûr, je connais pas la langue russe en détails.

Cette message est envoyé en français pour pas de raison specifique sauf "je veux l'écrire en français".

My French is still bad, so you'll have to excuse me.

I'm impressed, my Russian isn't progressing like I want it to this weekend, so here's encouragement.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5368 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 50 of 270
06 February 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Whatever your experience offline, you're certainly top of the 6WC Russian class online - малодец! :)

And don't worry about all the unsuitable vocabulary so often introduced in these silly course books (I often wonder what on earth is going through an author's mind when he introduces words like "combine harvester" or "state insurance clerk" before "because").

Some words stick almost straight away, whilst others can take years to settle (and even longer if all you have at your disposal are word lists from Berlitz class books without even a basic translation). In this respect, I think it becomes a hell of a lot easier once you've learned more frequently occuring vocabulary and established a good feeling for roots and word families. My ability to remember words (and I suspect the same goes for other learners) depends highly on which parts of a new word I can recognise at a first glance or hearing. Recalling a list of random syllables can be pretty tough going at the best of times, but joining up morphological Lego pieces you're already familiar with is way more fun!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 51 of 270
06 February 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
@ReneeMona, Thanks, I am really putting every effort into this 6WC. I failed at the last one, so now I use every opportunity. And I am using you as my inspiration, you are doing amazing!! I clocked quite a lot of Pimsleur this morning during my morning routine, and listened to copious amounts of Assimil on my way to work. I put the iPod on the minute I shut off the CD-player, and did not stop it until my PC was up and running at my office, and that alltogether was quite some time. I even considered keeping it on at work, but since it would not have been very efficient, neither for my work nor for my language studies, I shut it off.

@tarvos: Merci, c'est gentil! Je parle le russe assez mal encore, mais c'est por ce-la que nous sommes ici, n'est pas? Pour apprendre le russe!

@Thanks Teango: As I said to ReneeMona I am really working as hard as I can now! I needed the encouragement! Inspired by drsavo I just took an online test through Master Russian with a score of 43% (18/46 questions right). Since I knew I was just guessing half the time, and that I as a Norwegian am very suspious of multiple choice tests, I took the test over, and tried answering completely random, without even looking at the questions, and then got a 33%. Which means that I just got 10% or about 5 questions more right than a chimpansee would have gotten.

I printed out the test, and will learn the vocabulary in it, and try to find out where I did wrong, The depressing part is that the times I actually understood the sentence, and tried some sort of reasoning, I often got it wrong. For example I got the sentence: I saw a kat in the street. Simple enough, and I was supposed to put cat in the right case. I felt rather smug about that one, and answered KOT confidently, knowing it was supposed to be in accusative. And of course completely forgetting about the animate object part, which makes it genetive... Argh.. I feel like the scare crow who needed to go to the wizard of Oz to get a brain. Anyone knows of any good wizzards out there?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 06 February 2012 at 12:36pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4527 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 52 of 270
06 February 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
For example I got the sentence: I saw a kat in the street. Simple enough, and I was supposed to put cat in the right case. I felt rather smug about that one, and answered KOT confidently, knowing it was supposed to be in accusative. And of course completely forgetting about the animate object part, which makes it genetive... Argh.. I feel like the scare crow who needed to go to the wizard of Oz to get a brain. Anyone knows of any good wizzards out there?

Actually, when the word is an animate object it still declines to the accusative case, BUT the male animate accusative declension is the same as the male genitive. For example, if it was a feminine animate object such as "девушка", it would decline to "девушку" (still accusative) and not "девушки" (the genitive).
But if that's your way to remember it, you may keep it until more advanced levels =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 53 of 270
06 February 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
For example I got the sentence: I saw a kat in the street. Simple enough, and I was supposed to put cat in the right case. I felt rather smug about that one, and answered KOT confidently, knowing it was supposed to be in accusative. And of course completely forgetting about the animate object part, which makes it genetive... Argh.. I feel like the scare crow who needed to go to the wizard of Oz to get a brain. Anyone knows of any good wizzards out there?

Actually, when the word is an animate object it still declines to the accusative case, BUT the male animate accusative declension is the same as the male genitive. For example, if it was a feminine animate object such as "девушка", it would decline to "девушку" (still accusative) and not "девушки" (the genitive).
But if that's your way to remember it, you may keep it until more advanced levels =)

Yep. Definitely in need of that brain...

Thanks, Fabrizio, and I am by the way on the lookout for Norwegian films or series for you. After our conversation yesterday I remembered that there are a couple of things that might catch your interest. Are you only interested in grown up stuff, like crime series, or would you be interested in say Disney movies in Norwegian too?

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 54 of 270
07 February 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I have the day off tomorrow, so although I have lots to do, I am counting on also doing
lots of Russian. Insha Allah...

Wow, that last word came off as a shocker to me :) Suddenly Arabic! And we were speaking
about a bunch of Indo-European languages here! :) I love how you're so passionate about
languages. Atta girl!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4527 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 55 of 270
07 February 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Thanks, Fabrizio, and I am by the way on the lookout for Norwegian films or series for you. After our conversation yesterday I remembered that there are a couple of things that might catch your interest. Are you only interested in grown up stuff, like crime series, or would you be interested in say Disney movies in Norwegian too?

Thanks Cristina! =) Well, I love "The Lion King" and the Pixar movies, they might be a good start.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 56 of 270
07 February 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I have the day off tomorrow, so although I have lots to do, I am counting on also doing
lots of Russian. Insha Allah...

Wow, that last word came off as a shocker to me :) Suddenly Arabic! And we were speaking
about a bunch of Indo-European languages here! :) I love how you're so passionate about
languages. Atta girl!

When I was a little girl, my mother gave me a book of Turkish folk tales that her father had given to her, about a very famous Turkish figure called something in the vicinity of Nasreddin Hodja. I have never encountered any other Norwegian who have ever heard of him, but I know he is very famous in Turkey, known by every child. In one of the stories, his wife, who was a devout woman, said "Tomorrow I will do this, Insha Allah, and then I will do that, Insha Allah", whereas her husband said, "I will do this, and then I will do that", without mentioning anything about God. Then of course everything he wanted to do went down the drains, and he had the worst day ever, so when he came home, his wife called out, "Who is it", and with his head down he answered "Nasreddin Hodja, Inshaa Allah".

I guess it was last week's Arabic studies that activated that particular bit in my brain from 40 years back...

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version