Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 177 of 270
16 July 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
I should stop reading your log. You make me want to learn Russian and go to Russia.

Maybe someday I should try traveling again. It's been years since I've gone any farther than Trondheim. I'll be going to the US soon, but that hardly counts since I will be stuck at home with my parents most of the time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4868 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 178 of 270
16 July 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
How expensive was the hotel?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5368 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 179 of 270
16 July 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yeah but why did you think so? :D
The ladies room triangle makes me picture a dress like this :)

Lol...that's almost word for word what my wife said last night! I tried to defend this unlucky misinterpretation by pointing out that the inverted triangle pointing downwards is often taken for a feminine symbol of fertility in other cultures (i.e. resembles the womb, points down to Mother Earth, etc), and that a triangle pointing upwards tends to suggest a masculine element (hopefully I don't need to picture this one for you)...however, despite my best attempts and desperate gesticulations, my Russian better half was not really convinced in the end, and simply said..."no, it's a dress!". ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 180 of 270
16 July 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
This is what you get when things are over-stylized instead of kept visual.

The thing is, I really have trouble associating triangles, whether pointing up or down, with 'men', while I have none visualizing dresses nor muffs (if you pardon me the expression), and, mind you, I don't think I am particularly obsessed with women.
If I had been there I'd have guessed correctly because I'd have interpreted the 'tip up' triangle being a dress, the other image being too coarse. However, that would still have been out of sheer luck.

Here we have these stick-figures in some places, and one has long hair and a skirt. I suppose the feminazis or other idiots will do something about that because it might be offensive for some other idiot(s) and then the fun will begin, but meanwhile you can't miss it unless you come from another point of space *and* time. I guess we could do with short and long skirts then :)

Even better, why can't they just write "gents'" or "ladies'" on a sticker on the door or something? Oh, that would be no fun at all :)

Edited by mrwarper on 16 July 2012 at 3:26pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4868 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 181 of 270
16 July 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
They often write letters М and Ж. Men have wide shoulders, that's why the triangle is
down.

Edited by Марк on 16 July 2012 at 3:39pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 182 of 270
16 July 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
That's even worse. I'd go nuts trying to figure out what the letters stand for, instead of taking them as stylized representations of anything.

In ID cards here we used to have V and M for "varón" (man, from Latin "vir"), and "mujer" (woman) but at some point they decided to 'support' transvestites and transsexuals (or rather, to invade everyone's privacy of medical records) by adding 'F' and 'M' for 'feminine' and 'masculine', so you can be MF, MM, VF or VM with the most usual values being the obviously redundant 'feminine woman' and 'masculine man', which in turn can be easily mistaken for 'man-woman' if you're not used to neospeak. Good for laughs until they drop it (I think they might have already) ; )
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5368 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 183 of 270
16 July 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
There's often confusion over signs for the loo, if written in abbreviated Irish too... :D

M = Mná = Ladies

F = Fir = Gents [edit]

Edited by Teango on 16 July 2012 at 4:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 184 of 270
21 July 2012 at 9:25am | IP Logged 
Cristina,

Wow, what a fantastic travel journal you have here!

I am so happy to hear that your trip was a success. Russia has indeed improved A LOT since Soviet times, and
now you can get almost anything you’d get elsewhere in Europe—or some Russian interpretation of that—for
relatively reasonable prices.

From the sound of it, you walked your legs off in St. Petersburg. I’m glad you got to see so many of the sites,
though, and made new friends, to boot! Then again, I’ve yet to hear of a journey of yours during which you did
/not/ make new friends. ;)

And, despite the few occasions on which people spoke to you in English, it seems you did seem to get quite a bit
of Russian practice in. Many of my American friends here can’t get past one sentence before the switch to English
occurs, so think of it as a testament to your Russian that you can go so far without that occurring.

I wasn’t at all surprised to hear of the metro incident. I’ve found metro attendants to be the most unpleasant of
any employees in this country. In fact, I have a bit of a fear of them. And watch out if you don’t have small
change. Glad you got through that one, though. If you had been in Peter longer, you could have gotten a
monthly pass or some such thing, which lets you avoid the agony of having to buy a ticket each time.

I nearly choked on my coffee reading your description of the restrooms. Oh, dear, that’s quite hilarious, I must
say. Я согласна, the ambiguity of the triangle can be rather off-putting. At least you didn’t run into any
embarrassing situations until your realization at the very end. And now you know for future trips, of which I’m
sure they’ll be many, because you’re crossing in and out of Russian-speaking territory quite frequently these
days. Why, you’re becoming a regular Slav! ;)

I, too, am sorry we did not get to meet up. Circumstances here didn’t come together well—however, we’ll make it
happen! Like we were talking about in our last Skype session, we should arrange some sort of Team Sputnik—or
HTAL-wide—Europe meet-up. Or both. Lots of possibilities.

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version