Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 96
10 January 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Don't put youself down. At the end of this year you will speak Russian very well. A little starting problems will not change that :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5368 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 96
10 January 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
It wouldn't be a space flight without a few temperamental light switches and false starts...but have no doubt, we're going up this year! :)

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4524 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 96
11 January 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I think German should be a little bit easier for you, since English and German are close relatives. It seems to me that one should focus on one language at a time, so when you focus on Russian, it will be easier.
Don't get disappointed, studying languages is a matter of persistency :)

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 12 of 96
12 January 2012 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
It wouldn't be a space flight without a few temperamental light switches and false starts...but
have no doubt, we're going up this year! :)

Aye, aye, Cap'n! (I wasn't sure how to sound 'space-talky' without referring to Houston, which isn't fair because it
isn't international, so I defaulted to navy speak).

@Solfrid: I sure hope so!

@drsarvo: Indeed, German is quite close to English, and I'm definitely appreciating the cognates. The fact that
there are only four cases and the grammar, overall, is simpler, helps, too.
One thing that I prefer about Russian, though, is the looser word order. German is strict and confusing for me in
that regard. :-/

But MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: I've realized I can understand Bulgarian! This would seem only natural, considering
my ties with Serbian and Russian, but I never noticed it before.

I could understand every word in this video, and could even read the Youtube comments below without a
problem!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJUNKA6F3Q&feature=related
(Don't ask me how I came across that video--you know how it goes with Youtube after midnight...you end up in
Youtube's weirdest crevices in no time at all and with no knowledge of how you got there). I must have looked
like a hypnotized doll sitting in front of my computer just now, with eyes wide as saucers and a huge smile
plastered on my face. I mean, I was aware of the similarities between Bulgarian and Serbo-
Croatian/Russian, but it's only just now clicked.

Watching that Youtube video, I could only think how the people dancing about on stage were identical to the
characters in my own head. That is, in my head, Serbian and Russian always get mashed up, so to see sentences
formerly floating only in my in my cerebral cortex suddenly manifest in real life is amazing.

Alright, happy rant done now.

Edited by Tecktight on 12 January 2012 at 6:38am

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 

Message 13 of 96
13 January 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Update: January 12, 2012

GERMAN
Nada, thus far.
:/
I'll try to update my blog this evening.

RUSSIAN
20 minutes of listening and reading the text being spoken.
Watched a film called <<Чёрная молния>>
Read a story in <<cказки народов сибири>> called <<чайки и красавица ангара>> or "The Gulls and Angara the
Beautiful" in English. Took me about 30 minutes.

Edited by Tecktight on 14 January 2012 at 11:23am

fortheo
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 14 of 96
18 January 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
did you have to take your German test yet? if so, how did you do?

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4788 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 

Message 15 of 96
19 January 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
did you have to take your German test yet? if so, how did you do?

Ha, nice of you to remember! :D
Funny you should mention it, because here's what happened. I talked to the head of my university's department,
and she said that, rather than testing me, she would just let me sit in on the first two weeks of the more-
advanced course, whose professor will assess my performance. If both that professor and I conclude that I
possess a skill level sufficient enough to survive the class, I can stay!

Yesterday was my first class. I managed to keep up rather well, though I must admit I was rather intimidated. The
style of the class is completely different from the class I was in last semester. Rather than being structured
around basic grammar constructions, it revolves around reading texts and watching films and such.

So, basically, I've gone from exercises on Accusative endings to reading Märchen in about a month. I.e. the jump
is huge. But not that huge. Somehow, I'm still keeping up, a fact which seems to be good to be true. We'll
see how I fare for the rest of the class. I must say that I do love this style of learning. I picked up an anthology of
poetry which I'm now going through for reading practice, and I love it. Grammar is interesting (to an extent), but
it's not nearly as fun as learning through native materials.

My speaking skills, I believe, are still lacking, so that's an area I'm definitely going to try to work on. Perhaps I can
find a member on here willing to help me out via Skype or some such platform...provided they're willing to
endure me absolutely butcher their language. xD

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 16 of 96
23 January 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
I talked to the head of my university's department,
and she said that, rather than testing me, she would just let me sit in on the first
two weeks of the more-
advanced course, whose professor will assess my performance. If both that professor and
I conclude that I
possess a skill level sufficient enough to survive the class, I can stay!

Yesterday was my first class. I managed to keep up rather well, though I must admit I
was rather intimidated. The
style of the class is completely different from the class I was in last semester.
Rather than being structured
around basic grammar constructions, it revolves around reading texts and watching films
and such.

So, basically, I've gone from exercises on Accusative endings to reading Märchen in
about a month.

I gotta say, that was awfully nice of the professor! I guess testing is the norm,
usually :) I hope you do great! You're right, learning grammar is fun if you don't take
it too literally with all the fancy words, but native content is so much more alluring.
I find it easier to pick grammar after I listen to, watch, or read native
material. It sort of crystallizes in a way, and I'm able to visualize it more clearly.
It's happening with Japanese, in my case, so I'm trying to give Russian a fair break
and approach it in the same way.

Whoops, this post just turned into an essay. Excuse my rant :)

Good luck! I started school last week, too, and it'll be a challenge juggling languages
and coursework!

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version